The cars from ‘I Robot’ are in town, and I don’t know if Will Smith is driving them or not, but in this reality they’re called ‘Vision EfficientDynamics’. That’s BMW’s concept that will debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show is a diesel-electric hybrid system with two electric engines and a small diesel motor.
The engine configuration is complex, with different engines allocating different amount of power to the front and rear wheels, with a total of 356 horsepower and 590 lb-ft of torque. Weighing just 3,075 lbs, it does 0 to 62 mph in 4.8 seconds, but its top speed is limited to 155 mph.
While the speed may be limited, BMW pulled all the stops when it came to fuel consumption – this concept gets 63 mpg and has a CO2 number below 100 g/km. These are not exactly common numbers for a BMW, but the company says it will become just that in the very near future.
As a pure electric car, it gets 31 miles before you have to switch on diesel, where a full 6.6 gallon tank gives you 400 miles. That’s if you don’t take into account the regenerative breaking, where the 181 inch long, 74 inch wide and 48 inch tall car uses the effect of its decelerating body mass to generate some juice for the batteries. Lithium-ion batteries which can store 10.8kW/h of electricity and output 364 Volts, all at a weight of 187 pounds.
Also why not check out:
- 2013 BMW 335i Sedan with Xdrive Review (video)
- 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe Review: Bringing 4-Door Sexy Back
- 2013 BMW 750Li Review
- 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 5 Review
- 2014 BMW 435i Review (video)
- 2014 BMW M6 Gran Coupe Released
- BMW 4-Series Coupe Finally Arrives, Pics, Pics and More Pics
- BMW 9-Series Concept Car Draws Inspiration from the Fisker and the 6-Series
- BMW Builds Self-Drifting Car (video)
- BMW EnLighten App Let’s Drivers See Countdown to Traffic Light Changes
- BMW Group and Pininfarina Collaborate To Create BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupé
- BMW i3 First Drive and Hands On: Finally A Luxury EV That Doesn’t Break the Bank
- BMW i8 Concept Spied Driving (video)
- BMW i8 Revealed
- BMW i8 Video Review
- BMW M Performance Steering Wheel Includes a Built-in Screen and LED Lights (video)
- BMW M4 Coupe 2015 Video Review: What’s Wrong with the Coupe
- BMW M4 Pics Leaked, Official Deets Coming Tonight
- BMW Makes Solar Charging Look Good
- BMW Set To Introduce Electric Mini: E Mini
- BMW Zagato Concept Vehicle Caught on Video (video)
- BMW’s 2015 M3 And M4 Bring The Speed
- BMW’s 30th Anniversary M5 Celebrates With More Power
- BMW’s 4-series Grande Coupé is Official, Unveiling in March (video)
- BMW’s i8 LCD Key FOB Displays Useful Car Info
- BWM ConnectedDrive Connect
- Contactless Payment Shows Up In A BMW Key
- Is this BMW’s New M3?
- The BMW 2 Series Coupe Adds A New Dimension In Dynamics
- The BMW Concept X4 Crosses An SUV And A Sedan
- The BMW M4 Officially Unveiled And It’s Drool Worthy (pics/videos)
- Watch BMW’s i3 Electric Car Charge from a Home Depot Gas Powered Generator (video)