The best hoverboards are fun, easy to use and durable. Unfortunately, not all hoverboards are made equal and there are way too many options on the market, including knock-off brands that are cheaply built. To help you find the best hoverboard, we bought and tested over 30 different models before narrowing our list down to the top 7 options.
During our research and testing, we focused on features like top speed, motor power and battery life. With these features in mind, we found that the Tomoloo Hoverboard with LED Lights is the best hoverboard you buy today. With its extended battery life, quick speed and easy-to-learn functionality, this is the best board for adults and kids alike. Keep reading to learn more about the Tomoloo and our other top hoverboard picks.
- 1 Top 7 Best Hoverboards Compared
- 1.1 #1 Tomoloo Hoverboard with LED Lights – Top Pick/Best Overall
- 1.2 #2 XPRIT Hoverboard – Honorable Mention/Best for Kids
- 1.3 #3 Tomoloo Self-Balancing Hoverboard – Easiest to Ride/Best Features
- 1.4 #4 Gyroor Warrior – Best Value/Best All Terrain
- 1.5 #5 Swagboard Twist T881 – Best Budget/Most Durable Battery
- 1.6 #6 Segway Minipro Self-Balancing Personal Transport – Best Bluetooth Hoverboard/Smoothest Ride
- 1.7 #7 Swagtron T580 – Best Value/Best for Hills
- 2 How We Decided
- 3 Hoverboards Buying Guide
Top 7 Best Hoverboards Compared
#1 Tomoloo Hoverboard with LED Lights – Top Pick/Best OverallWHY WE LIKE IT: The Tomoloo Hoverboard with LED lights is fun, fast and easy to learn, making it a top pick for kids and adults alike. With a 4-hour battery life, 7.5 MPH top speed, and added fun features like LED lights and built-in bluetooth speakers, it easily beats out the other competition on the list.
The Tomoloo hoverboard with LED lights offers the longest battery life of all the options on our list, coming in at a total of 4 hours of running time. With such an extensive battery life, you can enjoy this smart self-balancing hoverboard without worry. Of course, when you inevitably run out of battery, you’ll only need to wait an hour before achieving a 100% charge once it’s plugged in, one of the shortest charging times on our list.
This Tomoloo bluetooth hoverboard also includes a wide variety of additional features, like colorful LED lights and bluetooth functionality that allows you to play music directly from your phone. You can control these features through the Tomoloo app, which doesn’t work perfectly 100% of the time but still does its job. Tomoloo also gives you a 1-year limited warranty to cover any manufacturer defects, which is a nice addition.
#2 XPRIT Hoverboard – Honorable Mention/Best for KidsWHY WE LIKE IT: The XPRIT hoverboard is the most affordable hoverboard on our list, giving you the most value without sacrificing premium features like a bluetooth wireless speaker and LED lights. Considering these features and the small learning curve, this is the perfect hoverboard for kids.
The XPRIT hoverboard with bluetooth is consistently priced low, making it the option with the best value when compared to the other hoverboards on our list. Even with the low price, the XPRIT doesn’t sacrifice too many features in order to save you some money. It still provides a relatively quick speed at 7 MPH and plenty of “fun” features for kids like colorful lights on the wheels and an integrated bluetooth speaker.
Unfortunately, the XPRIT is the worst on the list when it comes to battery life, measuring in at only 1.25 hours. However, this short battery life is to be expected at such a low price. This disappointing feature is offset by the variety of colors and designs the XPRIT offers, each of which offers impressive anti-slip footpads and durable construction.
#3 Tomoloo Self-Balancing Hoverboard – Easiest to Ride/Best FeaturesWHY WE LIKE IT: The Tomoloo two-wheel self balancing hoverboard offers some of the most unique features on the list, with LED lights that flash in time with the music and excellent self-balancing functionality that keeps you balanced. It also features a heat-resistant and fire-retardant design for increased durability and an extended lifespan.
A self-balancing scooter like this Tomoloo contains advanced motherboards and components to increase overall stability and balance, making it extra easy to use. While all the hoverboards on our list feature some kind of balancing capacity, they don’t perform as well as this product. You’ll also get a bit more heat and fire resistance than many other hoverboards. While all the boards on our list are safe, this added protection can help you feel safer if you’re still worried about random overheating and catching fire.
You also get LED lights that blink in time with the music playing through the integrated bluetooth speakers. Unfortunately, you can’t turn off the LED lights even to save batteries, so be aware of your battery life during use. However, like the top pick on our list, this Tomoloo features an impressive 4-hour battery life, a short charge time and top speed of 7.5 miles per hour. You can also take care of any manufacturer problems with Tomoloo’s included 1-year warranty.
#4 Gyroor Warrior – Best Value/Best All TerrainWHY WE LIKE IT: The Gyroor Warrior was made for off-road use with its large 8.5-inch wheels and extra-durable construction. If you’re looking for an all terrain hoverboard that can take a punch without hesitation and still look cool with LED headlights and bluetooth speakers, this is the hoverboard for you.
If you’re looking for a hoverboard that is sturdier than most others and built for all-terrain use, look no further than the Gyroor Warrior. With massive 8.5-inch wheels and self-balancing capability, this hoverboard can take a punch better than any other board on our list. It’s also the fastest on our list (and one of the fastest hoverboards on the market), with a maximum speed of almost 10 miles per hour.
While these features are certainly impressive, you’ll want to know that they come at a price. This hoverboard is the most expensive on our list with prices well above $200 at the time of our review. Of course, this price is well worth it to get the all-terrain functionality and overall durability that the product offers. And with a 1-year warranty to protect you from defects, your purchase is protected well enough.
#5 Swagboard Twist T881 – Best Budget/Most Durable BatteryWHY WE LIKE IT: There are plenty of Swagtron hoverboards on the market today, like the popular Swagtron T1, but the Swagboard Twist T881 stands out from the rest with its interesting take approach on battery and power. Instead of using a lithium-ion battery, this hoverboard uses a lead-acid battery, which is the safer and more durable option.
The Swagboard Twist T881 is perhaps the most unique board on our list due to its lead-acid battery in place of a lithium-ion battery. If you aren’t aware, early hoverboards were plagued with battery fires and explosions. The lead-acid battery doesn’t have the same problems as the lithium batteries. If you’re worried about battery problems, you’d do well with this hoverboard. Unfortunately, if you run into any defects with this unique design, you only have 90 days to request a warranty replacement, the shortest warranty on our list.
However, there are some downsides to a lead-acid battery. Mainly, it’s much heavier than lithium-ion, making this hoverboard heavier than most of the options on our list at 23 pounds. The board itself is designed simply, without any of the LED lights or bluetooth speakers you can find on other options. It also features a top speed of 7 miles per hour, which is impressively fast considering its otherwise simple design.
#6 Segway Minipro Self-Balancing Personal Transport – Best Bluetooth Hoverboard/Smoothest RideWHY WE LIKE IT: The Segway Minipro Self-Balancing Personal Transport is the best all-around hoverboard for those who don’t have experience riding personal transports. The adjustable knee bar makes it easy for new riders and experienced riders to maneuver.
It is UL 2272 compliant, with a lithium-ion battery and features IP54 certification so that it is resistant to water. The unit is lightweight and the large 10.5 tires deliver a smooth and satisfying rider experience, which also means that it absorbs shocks nicely. The customizable LED lights keep you visible and safe at night.
The Segway Minipro Self-Balancing Personal Transport has a maximum speed of 10 MPH and a range of 14 miles. The powerful 800-watt motors round it all out. It also features 3 riding modes and a mobile app that provides tutorials, an anti-theft feature and also acts as a remote control. This is a solid hoverboard, especially for the inexperienced.
#7 Swagtron T580 – Best Value/Best for HillsWHY WE LIKE IT: The Swagtron T580 is a great middle of the road model from Swagtron. While not all the best ones on the market, packs in some very helpful features like the fact that it is Bluetooth hoverboard enabled, allowing you to change modes, check the battery, access maps, and play music. The maximum speed is only 7.5 mph, but it has a respectable ability to climb inclines of up to 30° with its 150W dual motors.
This Swagtron T580 model has 3 modes and travels up to 8 miles per charge, with a maximum weight load of 220 lbs. 6.5″ hard rubber tires give you a smooth ride. Your charging time will be 90-100 minutes. A single charge will yield a maximum range of 8 miles. It also comes with an app that is compatible with both iPhone and Android. There is a reason that this model sells. The Swagtron T580 is a great middle of the road model that delivers the features that most users want at a great price point.
How We Decided
Finding the best hoverboard can be intimidating, especially if you’ve never used one before and all you’ve heard about them is how they like to explode during use. This is where we come in to help you. During our extensive research and testing, we only included hoverboards that are safe to use.
Each product on our list has been UL-2272 certified for safety standards. You should never buy non-certified hoverboards. We didn’t include any boards that went slower than 7 miles per hour, although there are plenty of those available if you need something a little slower when you first start learning. Finally, we only considered hoverboards that were durable enough to handle getting bumped and scuffed every so often. It’s inevitable that you’ll run into something with your hoverboard, but that doesn’t mean you should worry about a tiny crash destroying your new toy.
Hoverboards Buying Guide
The Most Important Features to Consider
- Safety Rating – Your number one concern when purchasing a new hoverboard is safety. A few years back, hoverboards were known to catch on fire and since then the industry has done the responsible thing and made them much safer. You would be hard-pressed to find any reports of fire today because of all the efforts to make hover boards safety certified. First and foremost, look for UL 2272 Certification on any hoverboard you buy. UL certified means it has passed all safety tests and has all the safety features you need to ride without problem.
- The Correct Tire Size – Tire size is another important consideration when it comes to self balancing scooters. They come in a variety of sizes. Some are smaller and some are larger. Tire size affects not only the stability of the ride but also where you can go with it and what kind of terrain it will be able to handle. If you’re looking to simply sidewalk-surf around the neighborhood, smaller tires will do the trick. If you’re looking to do more and go “off-road”, you’ll want larger tires that will handle more types of terrain better.
- Battery Life/Charging Time – Longer battery life is good, but it isn’t everything. For instance, what’s better is a long battery life if your hoverboard only goes 5 MPH. You want to balance a long-lasting battery with speed, performance and charge time. Look for a long battery life and battery indicators in a model that also delivers the speed that you want.
- Range – Along with battery life and charge times, the range that your hoverboard delivers on a single charge is one of the top considerations. Look for the range that you can get in order to get the most out of your purchase. A great range with short charging times means less waiting around and more going places. A suitable range is 9-12 miles.
- Durable, Lightweight Construction – Like any other vehicle, one of your top concerns should be excellent build quality. You want a tough and rugged frame that will last. Some models even offer scratch resistant materials. Choosing a strong and solid electric scooter or hoverboard means that it will have a longer lifetime in service. Along with a solid construction, you also want a lightweight unit. A lighter electric hoverboard generally means more speed and a better battery capacity. It also makes for a smoother ride.
- Motor – Obviously, the more powerful the motors, the more your hoverboard can deliver. A 250-watt motor is fine, but a dual motor, each with 250 watts of power, is going to give you much more power. That can equal more speed and better performance overall. The bigger the motor, the better.
- Weight Capacity – The maximum weight your hoverboard can handle before performance suffers is also important to consider. Most hoverboards have a weight limit of either 165 pounds or 225 pounds. Do your research on max weight before you buy so you won’t be disappointed if you exceed that limit.
- Ease of Use – Most hoverboards only require you to use your feet to control the device. However, there are some options that include knee control, like the Segway miniPRO. We didn’t include options like this on our list because we found it to be harder to control for kids and novices. Look instead for hoverboards that feature different riding modes like training modes. These different learning modes make boards easy to ride for adults, kids and novices.
Frequently Asked Questions
Some of the tops questions about Hoverboards answered
Does a warranty come with a Hoverboard purchase?
It’s a great idea to buy a hoverboard that includes a warranty, 1 year or longer. Just in case you get a defective part, a bad battery, or it just plain stops working. A warranty is a great idea and it protects your investment. All of our top picks come with at least a 1-year warranty.
Are Bluetooth speakers and apps important to you?
Many hoverboards come with Bluetooth speakers so that you can easily listen to your music while on the go. Is this a feature that you want? If not, you can save some money by avoiding models with extras like these. The same goes for models that include apps for your smartphone. These apps can add some really nice features, like music control, remote control and much more, but if you are not interested, look for models without these features to save money.
How much does a Hoverboard cost?
Generally, hoverboards can cost between $100 to as much as $700. In our research, we found that you can skip both the $100 price point as well as the $700 price point. The sweet spot for hoverboards with quality features is the $200 to $600 range. The price of your hoverboard purchase will depend on what features you are looking for. More feature heavy and high-end specs will cost you more.
How do you ride a Hoverboard?
First off, hoverboards do not really hover. At least not in 2019. But they are still fun and you might be wondering how you actually ride one. We can help with that too. First, step onto the device with one foot Next, step on with the other foot and position your feet as far apart as comfortable. This will give you the best stance to control your hoverboard. Stand normally. To get going, lean forward or gently shift your weight forward. Only make small shifts in your weight. To turn just lean the appropriate foot forward. Those are the basics and it really is that easy. Whether it is a Segway, a self-balancing scooter or a hoverboard, they all operate the same.
Also why not check out: