- 1 Top 5 Best Outdoor Bluetooth Speakers Compared
- 2 What to look for in the Best Outdoor Bluetooth Speaker
- 3 Mistakes to Avoid
- 4 Most Important Features
- 5 Which Outdoor Bluetooth Speaker is Right for You?
It’s worthwhile knowing what the best outdoor bluetooth speakers are, especially if you own a smartphone (who doesn’t?) and plan to go camping, spend time by the pool or simply take a trip to the beach. After all, this speaker can withstand exposure to water, dust, drops, and other environmental trials.
To find the best outdoor bluetooth speakers, we did all the buying, testing and researching for you. The best way to find an excellent speaker is to hear it in action, and that’s just what we did. During our testing, we measured sound quality, battery life and water resistance capability so we could recommend the toughest and best sounding speaker. As a result of our research, we found that the JBL Boombox is the best outdoor bluetooth speaker available today. With amazing sound quality, powerful volume and the ability to connect to 100 other speakers, the JBL Boombox is sure to knock your socks off. Keep reading to learn more about this speaker and the other top picks on our list.
Top 5 Best Outdoor Bluetooth Speakers Compared
#1 JBL Boombox – Top Pick/Best Outdoor Bluetooth Speaker for PartiesWHY WE LIKE IT: The JBL Boombox is big, powerful and versatile. With an IPX7 waterproof rating and the ability to connect up to 100 JBL Connect+ speakers together, this outdoor wireless speaker is perfect for outdoor parties.
You can’t go wrong with the sheer power and audio quality of the JBL Boombox. For starters, the speaker is big (and unfortunately quite a bit heavier than most of the speakers on our list), which means it can get loud. If this weren’t enough to make it the best party speakers, its proprietary JBL Connect+ functionality lets you connect the speaker to 100 other JBL speakers for maximum volume and fun.
The JBL Boombox is completely waterproof with its IPX7 rating, which means it can be fully immersed in water up to 30 feet deep for up to 30 minutes. We don’t necessarily recommend you do this often, but it makes for great protection at the poolside or beach. These features and its overall design quality easily make the JBL Boombox our top pick for outdoor bluetooth speakers. It belongs with 10 of the best Bluetooth speakers.
#2 Bose SoundLink Color II – Honorable Mention/Best Portable Outdoor Bluetooth SpeakerWHY WE LIKE IT: If you’ve ever used any kind of Bose audio product, you know just how amazing their sound quality can be. With the Bose Soundlink Color II, you get this same audio quality, a super portable design and built-in mic for voice assistants, making this a great choice for on the go listeners.
Are you looking for 10 of the best Bluetooth speakers for big sound under $300? If you’re looking for the best portable outdoor bluetooth speaker on the market, look no further than the Bose Soundlink Color II. Measuring in at only about 5 inches wide and 5 inches long, you can easily carry this speaker around with you in your pocket or bag. Unfortunately, a speaker of this size comes with some setbacks, like lowest battery life on our list (8 hours) and weak bass sound.
The Bose Soundlink Color II also includes a built-in microphone that you can use with both speakerphone and voice assistants like Siri and Google. Another nice feature with this speaker is the option to buy it in a variety of different colors for a more personalized experience, which is something you don’t get with every option. Finally, be aware that the Soundlink Color II is only IPX4 rated, which means it can handle a splash of liquid or two, but not full immersion.
#3 AOMAIS Go – Best Waterproof Outdoor Bluetooth SpeakerWHY WE LIKE IT: The AOMAIS Go is a beast of a speaker, which shows in its overall design and volume. It’s a fully waterproof bluetooth speaker with an IPX7 rating and durability that extends to it being dustproof and shockproof.
The AMOIAS Go bluetooth speaker was designed to be tough. Just by looking at the design of the speaker, you can tell it can take a punch and keep on booming. It features a sturdy exterior that can be splashed on, bumped into and more without any problems. The only downside to this extra-durable design is the added weight and bulkiness.
The AMOIAS Go’s speakers sounded really good, except for the fact that it can get a little distorted at max volume. This bluetooth speaker excels with its bass sound, which is powerful and full. You also get a full 30 hours of total playtime on a single battery charge, one of the longest times on all the speakers we tested. You might also be interested in 10 of the best portable Bluetooth speakers under $100.
#4 OontZ Angle 3 – Best BudgetWHY WE LIKE IT: The OontZ Angle 3 is perhaps the most-reviewed bluetooth speaker on our list but it’s no surprise that it’s maintained such a high rating. At a sub-$50 price, the Angle 3 offers surprisingly good sound and build quality, making this a great choice for audiophiles on a budget.
If you’re on a budget, you cannot pass up the Oontz Angle 3 bluetooth speaker, and a ton of other people would agree. Maybe it’s the product of an excellent marketing team (joking) – the reviews are backed up by a high quality little speaker.
You’re not going to get the most amazing sound on such a small, budget speaker, but it offers surprisingly rich sounds. It suffers a bit when it comes to bass since it can’t quite get deep enough, likely due to the overall size of the unit. It’s also not fully waterproof, but its IPX5 rating means it can get splashed and spilled on without problem. Overall, we were super impressed with such an inexpensive speaker, making the Oontz Angle 3 our top pick for people on a budget. If you want something a bit smarter, check out the best smart speaker.
#5 Bugani M83 Speaker – Best ValueWHY WE LIKE IT: The Bugani M83 is big and powerful, both in design and sound. If you’re looking for something loud that doesn’t sacrifice on sound quality, you should definitely consider the Bugani outdoor bluetooth speaker.
Loud and proud is the best way to describe the Bugani M83 outdoor bluetooth speaker. It features an evocative, yet simple design with two huge speakers that can really blast you away with some serious volume. And you won’t have to sacrifice sound quality with this speaker to get such high volume. On top of all of this, you’ll get the highest battery life of all the portable outdoor speakers we tested, coming in at 40 hours of playtime. You won’t get the same sound as the best floor standing speakers, but still decent.
Of course, there are a couple things we would have liked to see the Bugani do better. For starters, the speaker isn’t 100% waterproof at only an IPX5 rating. It can still take some splashes and spills without problem, but don’t let it fall into the water at your pool party. It also doesn’t include an AC adapter, only a USB charging cable, which we thought was kind of strange. However, these minor downsides are easy to overlook when you’re looking purely for volume. In that case, the Bugani M83 is the perfect choice since they’re the loudest bluetooth speakers we tested. And we have tested a lot of the best speakers.
What to look for in the Best Outdoor Bluetooth Speaker
- Durability and IPX Ratings: Manufacturers sometimes talk up their devices up with attractive lingo, but the sure way to know if an outdoor speaker will stand up to the ruggedized claims is if it’s backed with durability ratings. The most common of these is the Ingress Protection (IP) rating, that says how resistant a device is to water, dust, sand, snow, or anything thing else that can seep in and cause damage. Two numbers are assigned to the IP rating (i.e. IPXX, where the first placeholder refers to dust protection and the second to water), and the higher the number, the more it can withstand. A device is dust tight at a rating of IP6X and waterproof at IPX7 and up. With regard to impact resistance, you should look for drop test military-grade MIL-STD-810 certification.
- Battery Life: The battery sentiment speaks for itself. We’ve all run into the frustration of a device dying on us. Speakers with bluetooth connectivity have rechargeable Li-Ion batteries like many mobile devices, however, mAh capacity stated in the specs may not be a clear indication of the battery life. Speakers vary a lot in terms of driver size and power output. It’s best to see what the manufacturers states what the playback time should roughly be. Most times, they say “up to” a certain amount hours, which bear in mind, is more or less based on the volume level. The louder sound you have, the less hours of playback you’ll achieve.
- Sound Quality: Many times with speakers, bigger is better. You’ll find a wide variety of speaker sizes and with that, a varying number of audio drivers packed within. You’ll want to keep that in mind depending on the use case – if you’ll primarily use the speaker for causal listening or want a powerhouse for outdoor parties. Additionally, the driver size can be telling on how loud the system can get or the audio quality.
Also Read: Best Bluetooth Speakers 2019
Mistakes to Avoid
Don’t Go Too Cheap: Sometimes it just is that you get what you pay for. A speaker can appear rugged, but not actually be built with the tight protective measures. Or it can have a lesser rating on the IP scale, meaning that while there is some resistance to water or dust, it can be susceptible in trying conditions.
Short Bluetooth Range: Using a wireless Bluetooth speaker outdoors means that you’ll probably hit the wireless range limit, especially if your connected mobile device is in your pocket. If that sounds likely, you’ll want to be mindful of the what the manufacturer claims for the range. Most speakers at least have a range of 33 feet, but nowadays there are a good amount that can reach 100 feet.
Most Important Features
- An outdoor Bluetooth speaker is likely to be subjected to the elements, so it should be sealed tightly and substantially reinforced.
- Look out for durability claims in the device specs – a high rating in the IP scale against both water and dust, and a drop test certification for impact/shock resistance.
- Audio manufacturers typically use a multi-driver setup on portable speakers to get worthy sound. Bigger units can pack more of a punch, so usually you’ll see a larger variant of the same model (but costlier).
- You’ll want to find the right balance for you between portability, sound, and price. And if possible, demo the speaker and see if your ears accept the quality.
- Battery life is one of the most important features in an outdoor Bluetooth speaker. Running times vary quite a bit, so make sure the length of playback cited in the specs is acceptable.
- A healthy Bluetooth range eliminates frustration of the signal cutting out, unless you plan to keep the source and speaker stationary.
Which Outdoor Bluetooth Speaker is Right for You?
The great thing is that we have a lot of choices in durable and portable Bluetooth speakers, and for varying budgets. The FUGOO Tough takes the cake for most outdoor-tough Bluetooth speaker, because it’s equipped with an extra layer of protection. But this isn’t to say that the UE Boom 2 or Braven BRV-X aren’t built tough either. You’d be surprised at how much punishment they can take. Therefore, make sure to weigh all the features that would make your perfect wireless outdoor speaker.
Also why not check out:
- 10 of the Best Bluetooth Speakers for Big Sound Under $300
- 10 of the best Portable Bluetooth Speakers under $100
- Beat Booster is a Next-Gen Boombox
- BenQ treVolo S Portable Electrostatic Bluetooth Speaker
- Best Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven Ready Elite Outdoor Bluetooth Speaker Review
- Bullfrog Bluetooth Speaker Keeps The Music Going Outdoors
- Eton Shows Green Heart With Rugged Rukus Solar Powered Audio System
- Fluance Fi70 Bluetooth Speaker Is Anything but Portable
- Fugoo Sport Bluetooth Speaker Review
- HMLink Bluepot 10,000mAh Power Bank with Built-In 6W Bluetooth Speaker
- JBL Charge Bluetooth Speaker Charges Your iPhone and Plays Audio
- Marshall’s Kilburn Bluetooth Speaker Delivers 20 Hours Of Power
- New LG Bluetooth Speakers Sport Serious Sound Upgrades
- Solo 500X-EQ Bluetooth Speakers: Stylishly Built For the Home
- Soundcast VG1 is an Affordable Outdoor Bluetooth Speaker – With a Great Battery
- The Floating Mars Bluetooth Speaker Levitates Your Music
- UE Roll Bluetooth Speaker Review
- Zulu Alpha Wearable Bluetooth Speakers Give Your Ears A Break