Unlimited mobile data doesn’t come cheap. But you already probably know that if you’ve got a smartphone plan from any of the major carriers. However, it turns out that T-Mobile has a “hidden plan” that provides unlimited 4G data (throttled after 5GB), unlimited texts, and 100 minutes of talk time for a mere $30 a month. And even if you’re a big talker, you can always use their WiFi calling, Skype, or concede to some overages, which will likely still be less than what you’re paying now. For smartphone insurance plans check out SquareTrade.
Scoring the aforementioned $30 a month plan, though, is no easy feat. T-Mobile’s website doesn’t heavily, if at all, advertise it and you’ll need to take a bit of a leap of faith in the process, or so it would seem. That said, you can’t order the plan right off the bat. You’ll first need to order a SIM card for a compatible phone. So in other words, you’ll need to bring your own device to the party. Once you set out to activate that SIM card online, you should be presented with the $30 a month option – just ignore the accompanying plan activation paper work, which makes no mention of it according to Cnet’s Danny Sullivan, who discovered the option.
It’s important to note that this plan is only available to new customers, and you may not be able to port your number, though I believe that latter issue to be moot since there is a legal mandate for carriers to allow number porting. If you wanna avoid any number porting issues, your best bet is to port your number to Google Voice, which will cost you a one time fee of $20 (there are some instructions on how to do that here).
T-Mobile doesn’t offer the best coverage compared to Verizon and AT&T. Nevertheless, $30 a month is a stellar price, barring any talk time issues one might face.
This is where the plan is listed on T-Mobile’s site. Just keep in mind you can’t click on it and review any information. So you might wanna ring T-Mobile directly.
- Sprint One Up VS. T-Mobile Jump Phone Upgrade Plans (comparison)
- AT&T vs. Verizon Wireless Shared Plans (comparison)
- Verizon Wireless to carry HTC One
- AT&T Next vs. Verizon Edge (comparison)
- T-Mobile Has A Secret Plan That Costs $30/month, 5GB of Data and Unlimited Texts
Also why not check out:
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide: T-Mobile Smartphones
- Gadget Rumor: Blackberry Onyx Coming To T-Mobile
- HTC HD2 T-Mobile Launch Date And Price Announced
- HTC Radar 4G Coming to T-Mobile Soon
- HTC Sensation 4G Now Official, Release Date Sometime This Summer on T-Mobile
- HTC Snap FCC Filing Appears, Should Hit T-Mobile
- Motorol CLIQ Launch Date And Price For T-Mobile Officially Announced
- Motorola Cliq XT Hits T-Mobile For $129.99 After A 2-Year
- Nokia Lumia 710 Launch Date and Price Announced for T-Mobile
- Nokia Lumia 810 Windows 8 Phone Coming to T-Mobile this Month
- Nokia Lumia 925 Price and Launch Date Set for July 17th on T-Mobile at $50
- Samsung Vibrant on T-Mobile Now Available, Includes Sims 3 And Avatar
- T-mobile Android HTC Dream Launch Details
- T-Mobile Announces New Phones For The Holidays
- T-Mobile Announces No Contracts, Launches LTE Network, Samsung S4 & HTC One
- T-Mobile Blackberry Curve Now Available For Consumer Purchase, $200 With 2-Year
- T-Mobile Blackberry Q10 Coming June 5th for $100 Down
- T-Mobile Blackberry RoadMap Leaked
- T-Mobile Blackberry Torch 9810 Release Date and Price
- T-Mobile Comet Shoots Android Phones To Sub $10
- T-Mobile Completes Purchase Of SunCom Wireless
- T-Mobile Dash 3G Arriving This July
- T-Mobile Dishes Samsung Gravity and Exhibit 4G Launch Date & Price
- T-Mobile G2X Now Available Online, In Retail Stores 4/20 Along with the Sidekick 4G
- T-Mobile Hints at 3G Offering in US
- T-Mobile HTC One Release Date Announced, Sells April 24th for $99
- T-Mobile iPhone 5 Rumored to be Coming Tomorrow, Blackberry Z10 and LTE Network Launch to Follow
- T-Mobile Launches The Motorola ZN5 Camera Phone
- T-Mobile Launching Nokia 5130 Xpressmusic Phone On September 16th