Sony’s hotly anticipated PS4 hits store shelves in just a few short months. And today, perhaps in an effort to keep the marketing fires roaring, the Japanese based company unveiled the PS Vita TV.
The PS Vita TV is a diminutive sized box, measuring a scant 60mm x 100mm. It’s powerful enough to play Vita games, though Sony says just 100 of them will be compatible with the set top box because not all controls will translate to its controller, a Dualshock 3. And speaking of controllers, you can get the PS Vita TV with a controller for $150, or $100 without.
The back of the Vita TV will play host to a Vita memory card slot, Ethernet, a USB slot and an HDMI port – the Vita game slot is on the side. Sorry, no word on if it will ship with built-in WiFi, but I don’t see why not. Then again it’s Sony, and they have a penchant for making you buy crap that should otherwise be included.
Sony’s video and TV services will obviously be compatible with the Vita TV, as will Hulu and a few other select partners upon launch. Additionally, over 600 digital PSP games are compatible with the system, as are 600 PS1 and PC Engine games.
But what makes the PS Vita particular useful, is the Vita TV’s remote play feature that allows you to play your PS4 wherever the Vita TV is setup in your home. So as the video depicts, if your parents are bogarting the TV in the living room, where your PS4 is setup, you can plug your PS Vita TV into another display and game to your heart’s content.
The PS Vita TV hits Japan this November for $100. No word on a US release at this point.
Also why not check out:
- 10 of the Best PS4 Games 2014
- 5 Things To Know About Project Morpheus, Sony’s PlayStation VR Headset (List)
- 7 Examples of How the Playstation 4 Dominates the XBox One
- Details Revealed on How Sony’s PlayStation 4 Eye Will Work
- Here is What the PS4’s Retail Packaging Will Look Like When It Arrives Next Month
- Introducing PlayStation Vue: TV for Your PS4 or PS3 Without a Cable Sub
- Is this the Actual PS4 Console We’ve All Been Looking For?
- Labor Day Deals on PlayStation 4 and Xbox Ones ($359)
- New PlayStation 4’s Being Sold for $50 Less on eBay
- Odd, The PS4 Launching in Japan in 2014, Three Months After the US Launch
- Official: Here is the ACTUAL PS4 Console
- PlayStation 4 Shows Up In Stock at Best Buy, Ships by Xmas
- PlayStation 4 Spotted for $30 Off on eBay
- PlayStation 4: Where to Buy + List of Stores at Midnight
- PS4 drops to $350 & Gets Free Game Xmas Eve at Best Buy
- PS4 Launching November 13th According to a Leaked Poster
- PS4 Specs Unveiled, Includes Touchpad Controller, 8GB of RAM, Coming Holiday 2013
- PS4 Update 2.01 Coming Soon
- Sony PS4 Launch Date Announced, Coming November 15th in the US, November 29th in EU
- Sony’s PS4 Will Allow Users To Access Their Game Libraries Anywhere
- Take a First Look at Sony’s PS4 Interface in this Short Video (video)
- This PlayStation 4 Teardown Will Answer All Your Questions
- White PlayStation 4 Bundle Goes on Sale at Newegg for 10% off
- Why Buy Pre-Fab? Build a PS4!