This is beyond cool. You’ve heard of invisible cloaks, right? If not, check it. Mercedes utilized the same principle to create an invisible car and promote their new fuel cell vehicle, the F-Cell, which apparently doesn’t produce any noxious fumes and thus is “invisible” to God’s green earth.
To accomplish this magical feat, they covered the car in a layer of LED lights. Attached to the opposing side is a Canon 5D Mark II, which captures and transmits, in real time mind you, the otherwise hidden objects (image) and displays it on the array of LED panels adhered to the cars facade. The result is an invisible, or cloaked car. Clearly the effect is much more noteworthy when the vehicle isn’t moving, but it’s compelling nonetheless – nothing the Klingons would be proud of.
The F-cell is powered by compressed hydrogen which is converted into electricity and enables the car to travel up to 240 miles on a single tank – supposedly the equivalent of 90mpg. Word is that the F-cell will see commercial availability sometime in 2014.
Also why not check out:
- 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Supercharged GT by Kicherer
- 2013 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT
- 2014 Mercedes E63 AMG S 4Matic Sedan Review (video)
- 2015 Mercedes GLA: First Drive, First Coachella
- 2015 Mercedes S550 Sedan Review
- Brabus Boosts Power for the Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG
- First Image of New Mercedes-Benz CLA 45 AMG Leaked
- Glowing LED Mercedes Logo Now Available To Jersey Shore Meat Heads (video)
- Mercedes AMG C63 Review: an $80,000 Shot of Adrenaline (video)
- Mercedes GLA CUV Is Official, Killer Looks and Solid Performance
- Mercedes Intros CLA Class; said to be $30,000
- Mercedes Splitview COMAND System: One Screen, Two Images
- Mercedes Unveils Lithium-Ion Hybrid
- Mercedes-Benz 2014 SLS AMG Black Series (video)
- Mercedes-Benz CLA Limited Edition 1
- Mercedes-Benz Ener-G-Force Concept
- Mercedes-Benz F125 Concept: The Future of the S-Class
- Mercedes-Benz GLA Concept SUV Includes Video Projecting Head Lamps
- Mercedes-Benz’s New S Class Coupe is Dead Sexy, Comes with Magical Sunroof
- Watch Kate Upton Wash the All New Mercedes CLA In Slow-Mo (video)