The Lamborghini Gallardo LP 570-4 Squadra Corse… well, do we really have to say anything else? OK, fine, we will. Mostly to drool over it.
Debuting at the Frankfurt Auto Show this year, the Squadra Corse is a road car based closely on Lamborghini’s race vehicles. Quite a bit of this car will sound familiar to Super Trofeo fans: It’s got the same 5-liter V10 engine, the same four wheel drive, and the same six-speed transmission. But all of that is paired with some very, very different choices.
First of all, this is a very, very light car, coming in a hair under 3000 pounds total and nearly 200 pounds lighter than the current Gallardo. It’s not as light as the Lamborghini Cup cars, but it’s close. A lot of that is thanks to the aluminum and carbon fiber construction, used wherever possible to shave the weight down.
Being light and having a massive power plant in the front, it’s fast. Very fast. Zero to sixty is just 3.4 seconds, while the top speed is 199 mph, and one suspects deliberately limited. Once some engineers get their hands on this car one suspects we’ll see speeds that go a lot faster. The removable engine cover with the quick release system will likely help with that particular task.
Finally, though, there’s the cost. This is widely expected to be a bit more expensive than usual, but it’s still coming in at $300,000, meaning for the cost of a house in most places, you too can enjoy going really, really fast.
Mostly we have to admit we’re curious as to what it’s like when it’s allowed to go all out. Increasingly, supercar development is scraping up against safety laws as we see more breakthroughs in engine efficiency and materials science. Eventually the laws have to be updated, but until then, we can enjoy the cars.
Also why not check out:
- Flex Your Inner “Bond” With the Cars for Stars Lamborghini Aventador Limo Concept (video)
- Lamborghini Asterion LPI 910-4 Is A Hybrid Beast
- Lamborghini Aventador J at 2012 Geneva Motor Show
- Lamborghini Aventador LP720-4 50 Anniversario Is All the Limited You Need
- Lamborghini Egoista Concept Happy Birthday from Volkswagen
- Lamborghini Gallardo LP 570-4 Superleggera Edizione Tecnica
- Lamborghini’s New 2013 Gallardo LP 560-4
- Lamborghini’s New Sexy Veneno Roadster Is Ten Times More Than Aventador
- Oemmedi Mechanics Marries A Classic Fiat 500 with a Lamborghini Murcielago
- Up Close with the Hamman Aventador (pics)