Combination locks aren’t necessarily the safest thing in the world. We all know this, but we settle for using them because, obviously, they’re better than nothing. Or, well, so we thought. But it turns out that they’re not quite as secure as we thought, as we’ve found out thanks to the research of a lock expert. He’s even come up with an algorithm that will spit out the likely combos.
Here’s how it works, step by step:
Set the dial to 0.
Lift the shackle in the locked position and turn the dial counterclock wise. Between 0 and 15, the dial will “catch” three times. Note the two “catches” that are straddling a number.
Lift the shackle again and turn the dial clockwise until you hit resistance. That’s your third number.
Punch the results into this website, and it gives you up to eight potential combinations.
Sound ridiculous? I grabbed an old Master lock I couldn’t remember the combination to, and it cracked it within three tries. So, while I haven’t tried every Master lock, that rough road test would indicate that the math works.
Needless to say, you really shouldn’t use this for any non-legitimate purposes. But if you’ve got an old lock lying around where you can’t remember the combination and need to get it open, this will help you out. Just don’t try this at the gym.
Also why not check out:
- 5 Smart Locks That Are Sure to “Secure” Holiday Shopping (list)
- 8 Kwikset Kevo Bluetooth Smart Lock First Impressions (list)
- Add-A-Lock: Extra Security In Your Pocket
- AI.one Fingerprint Smart Lock
- Apple Watch Now Works with August Smart Lock
- Art Lebedev Chain Lock Mocks Any Assailant Or Fire
- August Door Lock Review
- August: a Smartphone Deadbolt that Installs in Minutes, Tracks Who Enters, and Looks Damn Good While Doing It (video)
- Auto Locking Computer Proximity Sensor
- Covert Magnetic Lock
- Deafen Common Thieves With The Siren Padlock Alarm
- DoorBot: The iPhone Smart Doorbell
- Elgato Smart Key Review
- Gate Camera Smart Lock Is Packed With Security Features
- Gate Smart Lock Review
- Haven Brings More Security To Your Door Locks
- Keep Your Snail Mail Safe With the Mr. Postman WiFi Connected Mailbox, Yes The One at the End of Your Driveway
- Key.Me Stores Your House Keys On Your iPhone
- KeyWe Is A Smart Lock For Your Home
- Kwikset Kevo iPhone Dead Bolt Lets You Unlock Your Door with Touch
- Kwikset Kevo Plus Review: Unlock Your Door From Anywhere
- Kwikset Kevo Smartlock Review
- LockedUSB Lets You Charge With Confidence
- Lockitron Bolt is the Suave Smart Lock Homeowners Need
- Lockitron iPhone Keyless Entry Works with Your Home’s Preexisting Deadbolt (video)
- Master Lock Bluetooth Smart Padlock For Sale
- Masterlock dialSpeed 1500EDBX Padlock Review
- Masterlock dialSpeed: a Digital Padlock with LED Lighting (video)
- Never Lose Your Keys Again With The Swisskey