What are the features that make the best RV vacuum? Because of their compact and portable nature, these are the best vacuum cleaners to take with you on the road. They allow you to easily clean your RV or camper trailer without taking up a lot of room or sacrificing too much power. Typically, RV vacuums are cordless, meaning they use rechargeable batteries instead of a dedicated wall outlet for power.
Whether you’ve just bought a new RV or you’re looking for a more efficient way to clean your existing RV during long road trips, the best RV vacuum can help. With greater maneuverability, dust cups that are easier to empty, and a compact design for easier storage, these powerful vacuums will keep your mobile living space clean, no matter where you are.
Keep reading to learn more about the best RV vacuums, which features you should consider, and how you can find the right option for your RV cleaning needs.
Top RV Vacuums
#1 Auto Joe AJV1000 Vacuum Cleaner
Award: TOP PICK
WHY WE LIKE IT: The partially transparent design will allow you to see just how much debris has been collected with this vacuum. It also has an advanced filtration system and is an option that will charge incredibly quickly.
- Advanced filter system
- Fast charging option
- Transparent design
- Debris compartment is small
This is an incredibly portable system that will work in even the smallest spaces. That means that it’s perfect for RV life, especially if you don’t have a large vehicle. It’s ideal for quickly cleaning up in between deeper cleaning sessions. Unfortunately, the debris collection bin on this model might be a little too small for what you need. This model is best suited to small jobs rather than full vacuuming sessions.
You can store this model just about anywhere, including in a glove box, a backpack, or even in luggage. It uses HEPA filtration to ensure that you’re filtering out all of the dirt, dust, dander, and more that would otherwise impact the air quality of your RV. This cordless model will charge directly through USB, so you don’t have to worry about having a complicated station or charging situation. It also has a 3.4 fluid ounce tank.
#2 ReadiVac Storm Vacuum Cleaner
Award: HONORABLE MENTION
WHY WE LIKE IT: You’ll be able to pack in 25 minutes of cleaning time with this model, which is more than enough to get your vehicle cleaned up. It also features a rechargeable battery to make it more convenient and used on liquids.
- Can be used on liquid
- Rechargeable battery
- 25 minutes of cleaning time
- Might wear out quickly
You’ve found your perfect match if you need a model that can handle both dry and wet messes. Not many vacuum cleaners in the same class can say they can handle both solid and liquid debris, but this model does so with ease. It can hold up to 8 ounces of liquid waste. However, some consumers have reported that the longevity of this model is in question. A few people had issues with it wearing out far more quickly than they would have preferred.
You’ll also appreciate how quiet this vacuum cleaner is since it only hits around 71.7 decibels. This means that it shouldn’t disturb those around you while using it. Beyond this, it has a 22.2-volt lithium-ion battery that has excellent longevity. You can get around 25 minutes of cleaning time on a single charge. There is an included crevice tool to get into smaller spaces with ease, as well as a brush to help bring ground-in debris to the surface.
#3 Eureka Blaze Stick Vacuum Cleaner
Award: BEST FOR MULTIFUNCTIONALITY
WHY WE LIKE IT: This model will come with a few different accessories, such as the crevice tool, to make your life easier. It also has a three-in-one design which means you’re getting multiple types of vacuum in one purchase.
- Unique three-in-one design
- Great for housepets
- Comes with accessories
- Not a cordless model
You’ll appreciate the multifunctionality of this model, and how easily it takes care of different types of messes. It is a 3-in-1 design that can transform with the push of a button or two. That means you get an upright vacuum and two different styles for in-hand usage. Unfortunately, this is not a cordless model. That means that you’ll have to keep it plugged in and contend with the cord as you clean, which may be a dealbreaker for some people.
Since it packs multiple models into one design, you can use it to clean numerous different surfaces. Whether you’re trying to pick up the stairs or upholstery, you’ll be able to tackle that mess with ease. This model only weighs around 4 pounds, giving it exceptional maneuverability. It also has swivel steering. The capture nozzle can pick up larger pieces of debris on hardwood floors, area rugs, and even low pile carpets.
#4 Dirt Devil Versa SD20010 Vacuum Cleaner
Award: BEST FOR MULTIPLE SURFACES
WHY WE LIKE IT: If you need a model with multifunctionality, this is an excellent option. This vacuum will convert to an in-hand model to use however is easiest for you. It also works on multiple different types of surfaces.
- Works on multiple surfaces
- Features a long cable
- Converts to in-hand model
- Will not work well with pet hair
Those who need a quick clean-up option that won’t break the bank will find their perfect match with this model. It’s a high-end lightweight vacuum cleaner that you can easily transport and won’t wear out after a long vacuuming session. Beyond this, you can easily maneuver up and down stairs without worrying about hurting yourself. However, those with pets may want to steer clear of this model. It isn’t entirely equipped to handle the messes that pets leave behind, including tufts of their hair.
You’ll be able to transform this stick vacuum cleaner into a hand-held model. This means that you’ll have an easier time getting into small spaces, vacuuming curtains, and more. The easy-empty dirt cup means you won’t have to worry about expensive bag replacements, and it’ll quickly empty out in just a couple of steps. A crevice tool is included so you can get into smaller spaces more easily, making cleaning tighter spots far easier.
#5 Dreametech T20 Vacuum Cleaner
Award: BEST FOR HIGH POWER
WHY WE LIKE IT: You’ll appreciate the fact that this model doesn’t need to be plugged in to work. That means that you can take it anywhere without the hassle of a cord getting in the way. Beyond this, it has a 0.6-liter detachable dust cup.
- Doesn’t need to be plugged in
- 4-level working modes
- 0.6 liter detachable dust cup
- Doesn’t work with liquids
Those who require built-in storage will love what this model provides. It’s able to mount directly to the wall, which means it’ll tuck away with ease. Put it in a cupboard, closet, or even just in a hallway. This is a great space-saving feature. Unfortunately, this is not a vacuum cleaner that will work with liquids. If you need a model that can work with wet messes, this option will not be a suitable fit for your needs.
You’ll appreciate that it only weighs 3.74-pounds since your arm won’t get tired after a deep cleaning session. With a 0.6-liter detachable dust cup, you won’t have to worry about constantly emptying debris. This means that it’s a more efficient model. It also features 8-stage noise reduction technology. This is the perfect solution if you’re worried about disturbing other people while you vacuum. It also comes with a super suction crevice nozzle to help get into the tighter spaces.
#6 Samsung Jet 90 Vacuum Cleaner
Award: BEST FOR DEEP CLEANING
WHY WE LIKE IT: You’ll be able to expect an hour of runtime from this model. It has a lightweight design that makes using it an absolute breeze. Beyond this, the auto-empty design of the dust canister makes cleaning up much more manageable.
- Auto empty design
- Lightweight model
- 60-minute runtime
- Might be too large
This powerful cleaning system will find sweet relief for those who struggle with asthma or allergies. This is because it uses 5-layer filtration to ensure even the tiniest bits of debris are caught and filtered out of your environment. However, this cleaning system does come as a complete set, and it may be too large to fit in your RV comfortably. Before investing, this is a model meant for larger spaces, so keep that in mind.
Beyond this, it also uses an anti-dust emitting structure to ensure you won’t be spitting any debris back into your environment. This model offers a simple maintenance solution that requires far less work from you. You’ll appreciate the inclusion of a 3-step system that automatically empties dust from the canister. The lightweight design is easy to maneuver in even the tightest spaces. Beyond this, it has a 60-minute run time off of a single charge.
Beginner’s Guide to RV Vacuums
What Are RV Vacuums?
RV vacuums are powerful cleaning tools that you can take with you on the road in your motorhome. Since they’re traveling with you, they’re often more compact and lightweight than other types of vacuums. These models excel at cleaning up tough messes like dirt, food spills, and even pet hair. In that case, you’ll want to get the leading handheld vacuum for pet hair.
RV Vacuums vs Traditional Vacuums
Like traditional vacuums, RV vacuum cleaners rely on a combination of mechanical components to create a vacuum effect that sucks up debris as you pass over it. Depending on the type you purchase, they both also share the same general design and form factor.
The main differences between the two types of vacuums are mostly found in size, portability, and versatility. When you’re purchasing a traditional upright vacuum or canister vacuum, you don’t need to worry too much about where to store it. However, since there is limited space in an RV, you’ll need to think more carefully about your vacuum’s size.
In general, RV vacuums tend to be smaller than regular vacuum cleaners. They’re also easier to store. Sometimes, this can mean your RV vacuum will offer lower suction power than traditional alternatives, but if you’re willing to spend a little more, then you can find options with more powerful suction capabilities.
RV vacuums also take steps to ensure greater maneuverability so you can more easily clean the tight spaces and tight corners often found in motorhomes. You’ll also find more cordless options and bagless vacuums in this category since they are easier to manage while you’re on the road.
How RV Vacuums Work
Vacuum cleaners for motorhomes feature the same basic approach to operability and functionality as traditional vacuum cleaners. For starters, they use the same internal components, like a fan, electric motor, intake port, exhaust port, and dust canister.
Once you turn on your RV vacuum, the electric motor will power the fan and make it spin. This process pushes air out of the vacuum through the exhaust port, creating a pressure drop inside the intake port. This partial vacuum effect generates the suction power to suck up debris.
After your vacuum has gathered debris, the airflow will carry it through the vacuum into the bag or canister, where it will remain until you empty the vacuum. Some RV vacuums also use a brush roll or beater bar to agitate carpet fibers and free up dirt or pet hair trapped inside, making it easier to clean carpets. Keep in mind, if you have thick carpet in your RV, you’ll want to pick up the best vacuum for Berber carpet, too.
Do You Really Need an RV Vacuum?
If you need an easy way to clean your motorhome without sacrificing power or taking up too much storage space, then you can’t go wrong with the best RV vacuum. These models are handy for cleaning hard-to-reach spots thanks to their dual-functionality, smooth maneuverability, and lightweight design. Plus, with cordless models, you won’t rely on available wall outlets for power.
Is an RV Vacuum Worth Buying?
- You Spend A Lot of Time in an RV: The most obvious reason to purchase an RV vacuum is if you own an RV and you spend a lot of time traveling in it. Since the space in an RV is smaller than your home, you’ll want to make sure it stays spotless to avoid pests and health problems. These powerful and portable vacuums can keep your on-the-go living space pristine.
- You Need a Portable Cleaning Solution: Apart from cleaning your RV, these models are excellent portable cleaners. Whether you’re cleaning your RV, car, or a family member’s home, you can easily take these vacuum cleaners with you for a more convenient experience.
- You Take Your Pets on the Road with You: Pet owners who bring their furry friends with them on the road will benefit from the best RV vacuums, as well. While you may need to search for an option with more advanced features, you can still benefit from purchasing an RV vacuum to clean pet hair, pet dander, and pet food messes.
Why an RV Vacuum May Not Be For You
- You Don’t Own an RV: If you don’t own an RV, purchasing an RV vacuum cleaner is probably not the best idea. Instead, you may want to focus on finding a model that fits your specific cleaning needs, like the best robot vacuum for pet hair. If you want an autonomous option, look into the best self-propelled vacuum.
- Your RV Has a Central Vac Already Installed: Some motorhomes include central vacuums already pre-installed inside. These vacuums are semi-permanent fixtures inside your RV, which eliminates the need for you to purchase a separate cleaning appliance.
- You Rely on Car Wash Vacuums to Clean Your RV: If you prefer to use vacuums at truck stops, car washes, and other external sites to clean your RV, then you may not want to spend the money on another device that may just take up space and nothing else.
How Long Will an RV Vacuum Last?
According to professionals in the industry like Classic Cleaners, RV vacuums can last you anywhere from five to seven years. However, the exact amount of lifespan you get from your vacuum learner can vary depending on the types of messes you clean up regularly, how often you use the device, and how well you maintain it. Always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations to ensure you get the most out of your vacuum.
How to Choose an RV Vacuum
When the time comes for you to start shopping for a new RV vacuum, you won’t want to rush directly into purchasing the first model you find. Take some time to consider your specific needs and then find a vacuum that offers features to fit those needs.
For the most part, you’ll want to find an RV vacuum that fits your space, uses a power source readily available to you and offers functionality to tackle the types of messes you need to clean. You should also look for an option that provides enough dust cup capacity and suction power.
Best RV Vacuum Key Factors to Consider
1. What type of vacuum is best for cleaning RVs?
Vacuum cleaners come in all different types, shapes, and sizes. However, not all of these types are good for cleaning RVs. Take a look at the list below to determine what type of vacuum is best for cleaning your motorhome:
- Upright Vacuum Cleaner: These vacuums cleaners stand upright, balancing on top of the vacuum head. In general, standard upright vacuum cleaners are not the best for cleaning RVs since they are large and take up a lot of storage space, even though they tend to offer strong suction and large dust cup capacity.
- Stick Vacuum Cleaner: These models are upright vacuums, but they offer compact designs and are more portable overall. Cordless stick vacuums are the best for RVs since they don’t require a dedicated wall outlet for a power source and are much easier to maneuver around the tight spaces in your RV.
- Handheld Vacuum Cleaner: Handheld vacuums are an excellent choice for cleaning motorhomes, although they don’t offer as much power or dust cup capacity as larger alternatives. You can use a lightweight vacuum with one hand, making it easier for you to clean tight spaces. You’ll find a great example of this in our write-up of the MECO rechargeable USB mini vacuum, which can be used with a single hand.
- Canister Vacuum Cleaner: These vacuums feature a wheeled body with a carrying handle and a long vacuum hose. We don’t recommend using canister vacuums in your RV as they can be unwieldy when maneuvering in tight spaces.
- Robot Vacuum Cleaner: These models are autonomous cleaning tools that run on a predetermined cleaning schedule. While these are convenient when you don’t want to vacuum manually, they don’t make great matches for use in an RV.
2. Should you purchase an RV vacuum with dual functionality?
Many cordless vacuums offer dual functionality, making them incredibly versatile cleaning tools. Vacuums with dual functionality typically provide an upright vacuum mode and a handheld vacuum mode. These models are perfect for large RVs where you need to clean a lot of floor space while still needing the flexibility of a handheld vacuum cleaner.
3. Should you buy a bagged vacuum or a bagless RV vacuum?
When it comes to capturing and retaining debris, your vacuum operates in one of two ways. You can typically choose between a bagged vacuum or a bagless vacuum. Bagged vacuums utilize replaceable vacuum bags for retaining debris. These keep the dust from escaping into the vacuum better, but they can be annoying to purchase and change bags constantly.
Bagless vacuums utilize a plastic dust cup that can simply be removed from the vacuum and emptied. In general, we recommend purchasing a bagless vacuum for cleaning your RV as the entire process is much easier to do on the road.
4. How much storage space do you have in the RV, and how portable should your vacuum be?
Consider how much real estate you have inside your RV, both when it comes to living space and storage space. Most RVs feature limited storage space, and a full-sized vacuum cleaner can take up a lot of that space. Choose a model that fits the storage you already have available. Stick vacuums and handheld models are easy to store.
You should also consider how portable your vacuum is. In general, purchasing a lightweight vacuum is better for RV owners. The last thing you want to do is lug around a heavy vacuum cleaner every time you hit the road.
5. How maneuverable should your RV vacuum cleaner be?
Simply put, you need as much maneuverability as you can find when cleaning your motorhome. Many of the fixtures in your RV are fixed, meaning you won’t be able to move them out of the way while cleaning. Find a vacuum cleaner that offers a smooth vacuum head that can turn and pivot with ease. We also recommend opting for a model with an extension hose to reach places where a vacuum head won’t fit.
6. What kind of attachments are necessary for your RV vacuum?
Most vacuum cleaners are compatible with a wide variety of different attachments. Take a look at the list below to determine which attachments might be best for you:
- Crevice tool
- Dusting brush
- Extension hose
- Washable filters
- Upholstery tool
- Pet hair strainer
- Flip-up brush