To find the best whole house air purifiers, you’ll need to examine a list of criteria to determine what is most important. We recommend the best whole house air purifier with a minimum 3-stage filtration process. This consists of a pre-filter for larger particles, a true HEPA filter for dust, spores, and allergens, and an activated carbon filter that blasts smoke, odors, and gasses to smithereens. For energy efficiency, don’t forget digital controls, such as real-time air quality reminders and Away Mode settings. These are the features that also make the best air purifiers.
After analyzing hundreds of reviews, we’ve determined that the Alen BreatheSmart 75i Room Whole House Air Purifier is the best whole house air purifier you can buy. Keep reading about this, and our other top picks to learn more and choose the best whole house air purifier for your home.
Top 10 Whole House Air Purifiers
#1 Alen BreatheSmart 75i Whole House Air Purifier
Award: TOP PICK
WHY WE LIKE IT: This whole-house air purifier covers a monstrous up to 1300 square feet of living area using three HEPA-type filters. It’s an excellent air purifier for the office and a great option for a large home.
- Three-layer filtration system
- Covers more than 100×100 square feet of space
- Intuitive lights-off mode for sleeping
- Highest of the four speeds is very loud
- May be too large for smaller bedrooms
This Alen BreatheSmart 75i whole-house air purifier is very impressive across the board, starting with a 3-layer filtration system to cut down on allergens, dust, pollen, and other airborne contaminants as small as 0.1 microns. It uses an inner which works to release negative ions into the environment to bind to allergens, killing them on contact.
We love this whole-house air purifier’s impressive display panel, which uses sensors to indicate filter life, and air allergen sensing. An auto mode setting also allows different fan speed adjustments. Kudos to WhisperMax technology, allowing it to run quietly without losing efficiency. Maintenance is minimal, along with a 12 to 15-month filter life running 24/7. Compare that with the best personal air purifier that even has a filter life and maintenance information button.
#2 Coway Airmega 400 Whole House Air Purifier
Award: Honorable Mention
WHY WE LIKE IT: This whole-house air purifier clears up to 1560 square feet of living space and includes a pollution sensor, which is great for people who want to gauge the level of indoor air quality.
- Includes timers (1, 2, 4, 8 hours)
- Real-time air quality monitoring using a four-color LED ring
- Intuitive lights-off mode for sleeping
- High noise level at the highest setting (43.2 dB)
- Slight learning curve
The Conway Airmega 400 whole-house air purifier is a juggernaut, combining an activated carbon and HEPA filter hybrid with its Max2 technology to kill close to 100% of airborne contaminants, both large and as small as 0.3 microns. Its dual suction system can change the air in a room up to two times per hour with efficient airflow that directs outside of the top of the purifier.
We love this whole house air purifier’s suite of smart technology features, which includes auto fan speed adjustment based on pollution levels, which helps save on energy bills. It’s very intuitive to use, with a four-color LED ring offering ‘good,’ ‘moderate,’ ‘unhealthy,’ and ‘very unhealthy levels. A filter lifetime indicator also makes it easy to know when it is time to replace your filter. A smart filter change reminder from the best air purifier and humidifier lets users know when it is time to replace the filter.
#3 Medify Air MA-112 V2.0 Whole House Air Purifier
Award: Best Circulation
WHY WE LIKE IT: This whole-house air purifier comes with a touch screen panel and 360° air distribution, an excellent choice for people who want equal airflow in an entire house.
- Monstrous 2000+ square foot coverage
- Child safety lock to prevent accidental touch
- 4 fan speeds and set time mode
- Filter needs frequent maintenance
- Not the most energy efficient
- Very big (28.3 inches by 15.7 inches)
Medify’s Air MA-112 whole-house air purification system is a dependable workhorse, using a pre-filter, HEPA filter activated carbon filter, and an ionizer to remove up to 99.97% of airborne contaminants. It also uses a massive Advanced Air Chamber that is capable of clearing out up to 2,400 square feet using a bottom-to-top airflow system. A 360-degree air distribution system works to direct airflow from all sides, allowing more even distribution.
Big points go to a touchscreen panel loaded with features, using multiple fan speeds and a set timer for further energy savings. It also includes a sleeping mode, which places it in a quiet setting, excellent for overnight use in bedrooms. Kudos for a child safety lock, which also prevents children and pets from turning it on and on accidentally. For more child-friendly options, we have a list of infant air purifiers. All in all, this whole house air purifier’s combination of large coverage area, 4-stage filtering, and digital controls make it one of the best we’ve researched. For more of the coverage area, you should compare this with the best large room air purifiers.
#4 Hathaspace HSP001 Whole House Air Purifier
Award: Best for Studios
WHY WE LIKE IT: This electronic air cleaner comes with 5-in-1 filtration and replaces air twice an hour for rooms up to 350 square feet, an excellent choice for studios.
- Honeycomb design for smell prevention
- Kills airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns
- Auto Mode optimizes fan speed in real time
- Air quality sensor not the most accurate
- Could use a longer cord
The Hathaspace HSP001 whole-house air purifier leads with a 5-in-1 filtration system that consists of a cold catalyst filter, cellular activated filter, antibacterial layer, HEPA filter, and ionizer. All work to kill airborne contaminants such as dust, smoke, odors, pollen, and dust mites.
With 350 square feet of coverage, this whole house air purifier is good to replace air twice an hour. On the digital side, it is very formidable, coming with an air quality sensor for real-time updates, auto more for auto fan speed adjustment, and a handheld remote control to control it within range. And for more digital purifiers, check out the best smart air purifier with an air quality sensor for real-time updates.
#5 Germ Guardian AC4150BLCA Whole House Air Purifier
Award: Best Compact Design
WHY WE LIKE IT: This 4-in-1 desktop air purifier comes in a compact 7.5 x 6.5 x 11-inch build and offers coverage up to 78 square feet, an excellent choice for smaller spaces and tabletops.
- Small size for tabletops (7.5 x 6.5 x 11 inches)
- 3 speed settings
- High CADR ratings for dust, pollen, and smoke
- Small coverage area (up to 78 square feet)
- Not the quietest air purifier (57 dB on high)
This Germ Guardian AC4150BLCA whole house air purifier cleans 99.97% of airborne contaminants as small as 0.3 microns with a three-stage filter, which uses a pre-filter for large particles, a HEPA filter for smaller particles (dust mites, pet dander), and an activated carbon filter for smoke, odors, and gases. A UV-C light on this air purifier from Germ Guardian also wreaks havoc on bacteria and viruses for complete protection.
With room coverage of up to 78 square feet, this best whole house UV air purifier is best reserved for smaller bedrooms and offices, with ideal placement on tabletops to maximize airflow and coverage space. All in all, this compact air filter offers an excellent combination of three-stage filtration, UV-C light for germ-fighting, and a compact size for smaller spaces. This is another UV light unit for germ-fighting and is among the best UV air purifiers as it has a minimum 3-stage filtration system that works to battle airborne contaminants as small as 0.3 microns.
#6 Levoit Core 600S Whole House Air Purifier
Award: Best Quality
WHY WE LIKE IT: A large range of coverage, super quick purification cycle, and excellent CADR are all hallmarks of this large powerhouse of an air purifier. It also includes a convenient and user-friendly smartphone app that works with the device’s built-in Wi-Fi.
- Ultra-fast purification cycle at just 15 minutes
- High CADR rating at 410 CFM
- Built-in Wi-Fi and connected smartphone app
- Loud on highest setting (57 dB)
- Pre-filter cannot be removed
- Air quality sensor is on the back of the unit
The Levoit Core 600S is a powerhouse of an air purifier. It can purify the air in spaces upwards of 635 square feet, making it one of the larger options available today. The device also performs incredibly well. It runs a 3-stage cleaning cycle that can clean the air in your home nearly five times in one hour. The Core 600S also boasts a CADR rating of 410 CFM, which is impressive in and of itself.
You won’t get much in terms of the design and overall aesthetic of this air purifier. This is only made more apparent by the sheer size of the unit. It’s big, and you’ll need to put some thought into where you want to place it before you buy. However, the Levoit is incredibly user-friendly with 5 fan speeds, a handy smartphone companion app, and carrying handles. It’s also lightweight, so moving it around isn’t too difficult. If you’re looking for other plug-in units, consider reading about the best plug-in air purifiers.
#7 Winix 5300 Whole House Air Purifier
Award: Best for Kitchens
WHY WE LIKE IT: This whole-house air purifier features a 4-stage filtration system and PlasmaWave to help cut down on odors, an excellent choice for people who want to eliminate messy kitchen smells.
- Effective 3-stage cleaning
- Smart Sensor for real-time air quality updates
- Specialized technology to neutralize germs
- Does not include a remote control
- On the heavy side (about 18 pounds)
Air purification is very thorough with this Winix 5300 whole house air purifier, starting with a pre-filter for larger airborne particles, a carbon filter for odors/smoke, a HEPA filter for pollen and other ultra-fine particles, and a PlasmaWave layer to help kill bacteria and viruses. It is also very good at neutralizing odors, a must for busy kitchens.
This whole-house air purifier is good for up to 360 square feet of coverage. Other digital features include a Smart Sensor for real-time air quality updates and Auto Mode for optimal running. All in all, this whole-house air purifier is very well-rounded with a neat combination of 3-stage filtration, a Smart Sensor, and a focus on eliminating bacteria and viruses. But if you’re not interested in installing a permanent cooling or heating system in your home, the best portable air conditioner and heater is the perfect solution.
#8 Levoit EverestAir Whole House Air Purifier
Award: Best Smart Features
WHY WE LIKE IT: This whole home air purifier is packed to the brim with features, including extensive smart features like voice assistant compatibility, Auto Mode, and adjustable vents, making it an excellent mold air purifier. It’s also easy to set up, even in spite of the advanced technology it uses.
- Efficient, powerful, and fast air purifier
- Extensive adjustability thanks to app
- Three-channel laser dust sensor
- Very large footprint
- Turbo Mode produces 57 dB of noise
If you’re looking for a technology-forward and user-friendly air purifier, then you can’t go wrong with the Levoit EverestAir. Though it carries a premium price tag, this air purifier makes sure you get your money’s worth. For starters, it can clean spaces upwards of 558 square feet five times in a single hour. It can clean spaces upwards of 2790 square feet once an hour. It utilizes a three-channel laser sensor to detect dust and particles, and if it does, it will automatically start running.
The EverestAir is also incredibly easy to use. You can adjust settings on top of the unit itself, but we recommend using the VeSync app. On the app, you can set schedules, check the air quality, and even adjust the angle of the vents for better circulation based on the needs of your space. Just keep in mind that this is a large air purifier, and it takes up a lot of space. You’ll want to plan accordingly before purchasing. But also remember that some other units are cheaper and have LCD screen indicators, like the best ductless mini-split air conditioners. And, also check out our Clarifion review, which features a unit at an affordable price.
#9 Blueair Blue 211i Max Whole House Air Purifier
Award: Best Quiet Operation
WHY WE LIKE IT: This purifier offers fast and efficient cleaning for spaces up to 1524 square feet with quiet overall operation. You can also pair it with a smartphone app for more flexible control, even when you’re not next to the unit.
- 350 CFM CADR rating
- LED touch display
- Quiet operation
- High operating costs
- Large footprint
The Blueair Blue 211i Max air purifier is an excellent whole-home option with three different fan speeds that operate more quietly than other options on the market today. The lowest mode will operate at a whisper-quiet 23 decibels. This purifier can clean spaces up to 635 square feet in just 12 minutes or up to 1524 square feet in 30 minutes. One of the other quietest options we’ve seen and recommend is the best central air conditioner.
This is a large air purifier, however, measuring in at 24.6 x 17.1 x 16.9 inches. It also weighs almost 23 pounds. The Blueair is easy to use, though, thanks to a convenient touch LED display and companion smartphone app.
#10 Honeywell HPA300 Whole House Air Purifier
Award: Best for Stuffy Noses
WHY WE LIKE IT: This whole home air purifier is affordable, easy to use, and extremely effective at purifying the air in large spaces. It may be large and loud, but it gets the job done as well as, if not better than more expensive options.
The Honeywell HPA300 Air Purifier uses a True HEPA filter to effectively capture up to 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns. This makes it an excellent choice for individuals with allergies or respiratory sensitivities. It features three cleaning levels, allowing you to customize the purification intensity based on your needs. The unit also includes a Turbo Clean setting for rapid air purification during times of high contamination. Unfortunately, it doesn’t include an Auto Mode. Additionally, the HPA300 boasts a sleek design with easy-to-use electronic controls, making it a user-friendly option for any home or office environment.
The HPA300 is a large machine, and it operates loudly, but it’s also incredibly user-friendly. It also features long-lasting filters that are easily and cheaply replaced, which offsets the high operating costs. However, if you don’t want to purchase replacement filters, you may want to consider the best air purifier with a washable filter, instead.
How We Decided
In determining the best whole house air purifiers to buy, we explored efficiency, versatility, and digital controls.
Whole-house air purifiers vary drastically in terms of square-foot coverage. Look for whole-house air purifiers with a minimum 3-stage filtration system that uses a pre-filter for large particles (e.g. dust mites), a true HEPA filter for smaller particles (0.3 microns), and an activated carbon filter to ease up smoke, odors, and gasses. Multiple-stage filtration systems can remove up to 99.97% of airborne contaminants that can exacerbate asthma symptoms and develop allergies and illness if not treated in time.
In terms of versatility, we are big fans of high-quality whole-house air handlers that clean the air well. Other technologies that could provide a boost include UV lighting to kill bacteria and germs, an ionizer to release negative ions into the atmosphere to capture airborne contaminants, and filter life indicators to note when it’s time to replace your filter based on a regular schedule. We are also big fans of multiple fan speeds that allow for energy efficiency based on real-time air quality and the size of the unit’s room. If you’re wondering how purifying air on a larger scale works, you can check out our page on how commercial air purifiers work.
See Also: Take a look at the best air purifier for the basement if you wish to get something for your basement too.
Best Whole House Air Purifiers Buyer’s Guide
The Most Important Features to Consider
As you’re shopping for the best whole house air purifier for 2023, find one that can eliminate up to 99.97% of airborne contaminants and pollutants like smoke particles, mold spores, and more using a minimum 3-stage filtration system. But, can an air purifier eliminate flu? Not fully, but it can help you with breathing easier.
- Any filtration system on a high-end whole home air purifier should consist of a pre-filter, a true HEPA filter, and an activated carbon filter. In fact, the best air purifier for VOCs and formaldehyde will have such a filtration system.
- Each is responsible for performing a wide range of functions, including trapping gasses, neutralizing odors, and charging airborne particles to kill them on contact. This is what should be expected from the best air purifier for an HVAC system. Tackling these harmful pollutants can help sensitive users and reduce any chest pain, eye irritation, allergic reactions, etc. from the air pollution.
- Plus, if you’re using a VOC air purifier, you’ll eliminate cancer-causing elements from your home.
- Square footage coverage varies wildly, anywhere from 75 square feet upwards to 3000 feet, so if the coverage is smaller than your space, some harmful contaminants will probably remain. This is why you should pay attention to this spec and make an informed decision, especially if you have a larger home.
- Even if you have the best air purifier for smells, make sure the appliance can efficiently cleanse the air in your specific space.
- Keep in mind that if you have control over the sources of pollutants, removing the source is the most effective way to make sure this air contamination doesn’t enter your home in the first place.
- In short, whichever top air purifier for a whole house is purchased, make sure you thoroughly read through whole house air purifier reviews, as contrast and comparison of different models will help you make a great buying choice.
- Moreover, if you want to use an air purifier to clean more than one room, you’re better off buying a large one for the entire house or smaller ones for individual rooms. Just be sure to change the air filter regularly.
In terms of versatility, smaller units are more capable of being allowed to mount vertically or horizontally to preserve tabletop or desktop space.
- These whole-house purifiers tend to be portable units, which are usually smaller in size, but are still great purification devices. They work to reduce the amount of airborne pollutants by filtering out indoor air pollutants.
- Moreover, the different types of air purifiers, especially large models, designed to help improve the quality of air in residential environments tend to be immovable.
- Portable air purifiers can be transported more easily versus central air purifiers. This is especially important when you consider the type of pollutants that need to be addressed.
- For example, particulate matter such as pollen, dust mites, and mold spores are all microns in size, making them difficult to remove through traditional air filters. Speaking of filters, consider getting a purifier that lets you wash HEPA filters. Otherwise, you’ll spend more on filter replacements.
- Others have more neutral, minimalist tones to blend in well with home decor.
- Whole-house air purifiers come in all shapes, sizes, and proportions.
- In fact, if you’re eager to find a unit for big areas, you’ll want to read our Levoit air purifier for a large room review. Additionally, you can read our room vs whole house air purifier comparison to see which option is right for your situation.
- Digital Controls
Full-scale digital controls are key to best managing your whole-house air purifier. We are big fans of filter life indicators, LED color-coded real-time status updates on air quality, auto fan speed adjustment, and other features designed to make it easier to manage your air quality. Don’t forget a whisper-quiet operation, like the Blueair Blue Pure 211, that does not exceed 20 decibels, regardless of setting. Note, that larger units are less likely to adhere to this requirement, so noise levels may be sacrificed for larger units from time to time. But if you’re still looking for some peace and quiet during the night of a rough allergy season, the quietest air purifier of 2023 can get the job done.