The humble lightswitch hasn’t changed for years; it’s a simple mechanical switch, maybe a knob you turn. But bRight Switch wants to make it a lot less humble, and a lot more active.
The nLine Switch
It starts with the nLine Switch, which is basically an Android smartphone stuck in the wall and wired to your house. It serves as the brain of the bRight Switch system, storing all the usage data as it learns your habits and your power usage, shutting off lights when you leave and turning them on when you come home. It also can serve as anything from an in-room phone to an alarm clock; it’s basically an Android device, after all.
The eLine Switch
Next up is the eLine Switch. First of all, in addition to learning your habits, each eLine Switch wirelessly syncs up with each other, so if you’ve got a bunch throughout the house, you can flip on the lights in the entire place or dim them as appropriate. It’s also got all the timers and other fun stuff you expect from an advanced light switch, including timers and the learning behavior that helps you save power.
The eLine Outlet
Finally, there’s the eLine outlet. It’s designed to be, well, a bit more useful, with USB charging ports as well as standard outlets, and it also completely syncs with the switches to be more useful; for example, you can configure the outlet to only turn on when the switch is flicked, saving you some time and energy, in both senses of the word.
It’s a pretty interesting system and an interesting addition to the “Internet of Things”, the idea that everything in our home will eventually be wired. The only question is really how it’ll work for you. This might be an early contender: Currently it starts at $15 on IndieGoGo.
Also why not check out:
- 6 Reasons Why You Need Wink To Control All Your Connected Devices (list)
- 6 Things You Need To Know About Apple’s “Smart Homes” (List)
- Answer The Door From your Smartphone With The iDoorCam (video)
- Best Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector
- Blink Smart HD Home Monitoring and Alert System Ditches The Wires
- Cyber-rain Smart Sprinkler System
- Earth Quake Home Alarm System
- Ecobee CEO on the Future of the Connected Home
- Ecobee Smart Thermostat Takes The Aggravation Out Of Smart Homes
- Flic Smart Buttons Control Your Home Devices With One Push
- FlipFlic Wants to Automate Your Window Blinds
- Gadgets At A Glance: Watt’s Up? An Internet Enabled Electricity Meter
- HELLO 2 Fully Encrypted All-In-One TV Companion
- Intel Demos In Home Energy Monitoring System, Works On A Single Outlet
- Intelligent Sprinkler Controller Automatically Waters Your Lawn
- Listnr Recognizes Finger Snaps and Your Baby’s Cries
- MaxMyTv Turns Your TV Into A Command Hub
- NEEO Is A Thinking Remote That Controls Your Home
- Nest Labs’ Protect Smoke Detector Is More Than A Traditional Smoke Detector
- onecue: A Standalone Device For Gesture-Controlling Your Home
- Onzo Smart Energy Kit Helps You Track Your Home’s Electricity Usage
- Orbit B-hyve Smart Hose Faucet Timer Review
- Oregon Scientific Comes Green With The RMR500 Eco Clima Control
- Powerhouse Dynamics’ eMonitor Gives You A Real Time Read Out Of Your Energy Consumption (video)
- Revolv Links All Your Wireless Home Devices Together
- Sanwa’s Power Strip Displays Your Energy Usage
- Sevenhugs Smart Remote: Point To Operate Any Smart Product
- SilverPAC’s SilverSTAT 7 Thermostat Is A 7-inch Touchscreen Home Monitoring System
- Skydrop Sprinkler System Saves You Water And Money (video)
- Smart Meters Cause Issue In Texas, Drug Dealers Be Warned