One of the big problems of electric vehicles is that while you’re saving on emissions by avoiding the pump, you are still possibly creating a problem by plugging in and potentially getting your power from coal or oil. Leave it to the engineers at BMW to create an elegant, and beautiful, solution.
Essentially, it’s a garage to tuck your car in with a roof of solar panels. You simply park your electric car in the garage, which is really more of a shade for your car than anything else, plug it in, and walk away. The sun soaks the panels, the panels create electricity, and your car is fully charged when you need to drive it again.
Soak Up The Sun
If that weren’t enough, this is designed with sustainability in mind. It’s made entirely with carbon fiber, solar panels, and bamboo, all of which are easily created economically and sustainably. And it also means lower electric bills while helping to take you a bit further off the grid. It’s true that this won’t make your home completely self-sustaining; it really only exists to power your car. On the other hand, charging high-capacity batteries isn’t exactly cheap in the first place, so being self-sustaining on this particular score isn’t the worst idea.
Revolving Around The Sun
There are a few issues with this design. Like any solar array, it’s really only useful in places that get a lot of direct sunlight. And in places that see a lot of precipitation that might cover, or smash, the panels, this might not be the most effective idea. And finally, you’ll probably have to replace the cells every few years. But, if it makes electric cars more self-sustaining (and cheaper), it’s definitely a good idea. It’s only a concept for now, but BMW may offer it as an option soon.
Also why not check out:
- 2013 BMW 335i Sedan with Xdrive Review (video)
- 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe Review: Bringing 4-Door Sexy Back
- 2013 BMW 750Li Review
- 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 5 Review
- 2014 BMW 435i Review (video)
- 2014 BMW M6 Gran Coupe Released
- BMW 4-Series Coupe Finally Arrives, Pics, Pics and More Pics
- BMW 9-Series Concept Car Draws Inspiration from the Fisker and the 6-Series
- BMW Builds Self-Drifting Car (video)
- BMW EnLighten App Let’s Drivers See Countdown to Traffic Light Changes
- BMW Group and Pininfarina Collaborate To Create BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupé
- BMW i3 First Drive and Hands On: Finally A Luxury EV That Doesn’t Break the Bank
- BMW i8 Concept Spied Driving (video)
- BMW i8 Revealed
- BMW i8 Video Review
- BMW M Performance Steering Wheel Includes a Built-in Screen and LED Lights (video)
- BMW M4 Coupe 2015 Video Review: What’s Wrong with the Coupe
- BMW M4 Pics Leaked, Official Deets Coming Tonight
- BMW Set To Introduce Electric Mini: E Mini