This device has everything but the best radar detector. OnStar has long sold an aftermarket version of their connected rear view mirror. It includes – provided you’re willing to pay the monthly or yearly fee – the company’s concierge and emergency roadside service. However, installation requires you to replace your existing rear view mirror, which is hardly ideal for those on a lease. Moreover, it’s not a product that is exactly cutting edge and largely only appeals to those who are applicable for the senior discount at Denny’s.
While this Android rear view mirror, titled the Shift, is hardly a fully baked product, it’s most certainly unique. First off, it installs or fits over your existing rear view mirror. Power concerns aside – there is a 500mAh battery and an included car charger – this is a far more attractive proposition then replacing the whole thing. Sure, you’ll have to drape a cord to your cigarette lighter adapter, but there are ways to conceal that.
On board is a 5-inch touchscreen (800×480), Android 4.0 and built-in GPS. So, needless to say, this mirror can deliver turn-by-turn directions. Included is a Bluetooth headset that when docked automatically charges. To surf the net, or get online, you’ll of course need a Bluetooth enabled smartphone with an Internet connection as there is no mention of a SIM card slot of any sort. Additionally, there is an FM transmitter for piping tunes to your car’s stereo, that is of course assuming your antenna isn’t at the rear of the vehicle. And if that isn’t enough tech wizardry for you, there is even a 720p capable DVR camera that can rotate 360 degrees so you can record in any direction to an inserted microSD card slot.
You can grab the Shift Android Rear View Mirror for $235 from TheFancy, though Chinavasion sells it for slightly cheaper.
Also why not check out:
- 12 Portable Chargers That Work Both With iPhone and Android Phones (list)
- 21 iPhone 5 Lightning Accessories Available Today (list)
- Amazon Cloud Player Launches, Free Storage For Amazon MP3 Purchases And Limited Time 20GB Deal
- Baseus 10W Qi Wireless Car Charger Phone Holder
- Belkin Announces First To Market iPhone 5 Lightning Accessories
- Cobra iRAD-100 iRadar Radar Detector For iPhone Review
- Griffin PowerDuo Reserve Review
- How to Maximize Your iPhone 6 Battery
- Kensington’s PowerBack iPad Case Gives You Extra Juice
- LaneSafe Keeps You On The Correct Side Of The Road
- Mophie Unveils New Line Of Charging Solutions
- Motorola DEFY+ Might just be the World’s Toughest Smartphone
- Navigon Directs People To Macworld To See Their $50 iPhone Car Kit
- Powerbag Backpack Review
- Powermat Expands Line, Drops Cases, Intros Battery Receivers And Car Solution
- Richard Solo 1800 External Battery Review
- Scosche Unveils iPhone 5 Lightning Accessories
- Seagate GoFlex Satellite 500GB Wireless Hard Drive Review (short version)
- Sony CPF10LS 10,000 mAh Portable Charger Review
- TATTU 30W Double USB Port Quick Charge 3.0 Car Charger
- The Air Dock Lets You Dock And Charge Your Smartphone In Your Car
- The iDeck Converts Your Car’s Cassette Deck Into An iPod Dock
- The ZENS Qi Car Charger Is Cord-Free And Worry-Free
- Top 5 iPhone Battery Backups
- Transdock iPod Car Charger
- Zus Car Charger and Locator Available for $30