The best outdoor Bluetooth speakers don’t often look as good as the beauty below. That is some serious style. Wi-Fi speakers, as opposed to their wireless Bluetooth cousins, are designed to stay primarily indoors and provide flexible sound in a variety of situations: They tend to be a bit larger, a bit more professional, and a bit less movable. The wireless Sonica, from Oppo, is actually a mix of both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, with advantages from both groups, and the hybrid approach is a smart one.
Look for this speaker to hit our best wireless speakers reviews for 2018 as soon as we get our hands on it.
First, off, Sonica looks like a Bluetooth speaker, with a sleek and mobile design that recalls many efforts from JBL, Braven and others. However, in addition to Bluetooth the speaker supports wireless connectivity, AirPlay, and other network capabilities. It also has more attention placed on sound quality, a wireless speaker characteristic that leads to two amplifiers for two 3.5-inch woofers, two 3-inch bass radiators, and finally two additional amplifiers for its wide-band drivers.
While the Sonica isn’t designed to be taken outside of the house, you do have plenty of control options. The free app works on all mobile devices, and if you have more than one of these speakers you can easily link them together for bigger sound: Sonica’s built-in presets for different room sizes or speaker locations will be particularly useful here as well. We’re not sure if they use sensors or only different modes for room optimization, but it’s a great feature to have on an indoor speaker. It’s also interesting that you can invite friends to take control on their phones as well if you don’t want to curate music all night/day.
This best of both worlds approach is what indoor wireless speakers should aspire to. As long as you don’t want to take a speaker outside, this model has all the sound and flexibility you could hope for. The price is set at $300, which is a little expensive for the average home (and perhaps more suited for the office), so if you buy one make sure to place it in a central location where you can get maximum sound fidelity.
- Braven Ready Elite Outdoor Bluetooth Speaker Review
- New LG Bluetooth Speakers Sport Serious Sound Upgrades
- Oppo Sonica: The Ideal Wireless/Bluetooth Hybrid Speaker?
- Zulu Alpha Wearable Bluetooth Speakers Give Your Ears A Break
Also why not check out:
- 7 of the Best Wireless Speaker Solutions for $40+ (list)
- Aether Cone Review: The Learning Speaker That You Speak To
- Altec Lansing InAir 5000 Speaker Review
- Amazon Announces New Crop of Echo Devices, Here is What You Need to Know
- Amazon Echo Review…1.5 Years Later
- Aperion Zona Wireless Surround Speaker System Review
- Audio Unlimited SPK-24GX Review
- Bag of Rhythm Review
- Beep Makes All Your Speakers Wireless (video)
- BeoSound 1 and 2 are Ultra-Classy Wireless Speakers for Your Home
- Best Wireless Speakers for 2019
- BlackDiamond3 Brilliant Wireless Speaker Syncs To Your Music, Provides a Million Color LED Light Show
- Bower and Wilkins A7 and A5 Airplay Speakers are Wirelessly Opulent
- BUOY wireless floating speakers
- CyFi Wireless Speaker System
- Devialet’s Gold Phantom Has the Best Speaker Specs in the World, Ships in July
- Eton Ruckus Solar Bluetooth Speaker System Recharges With Sunlight (CES)
- Ferrari Scuderia FS1 Airplay Speaker Now Available
- Grace Digital Mini-Bullets II 900 MHz Wireless Speaker System Review
- iHome Announces Portable Speaker With Apple’s Airplay Tech
- JBL On Air Speaker Dock Features Apple’s Airplay Tech
- JBL Soundfly Airplay Speaker Ditches All the Cords
- Korus V600 Wireless Speaker System Review
- Logitech X300 Wireless Speaker Is A Party In Your Pocket
- Luna Wireless Speakers: Party Modes and Telescoping
- Mu-so Qb Compact Music System: Wireless Speakers with Little Compromise
- Nyrius High Definition Digital Wireless Audio/Video Sender Review
- Panasonic SC-NP10 Wireless Speaker Review
- Parrot By Philippe Starck Zikmu iPod Wireless Speakers