If you grew up playing video games, you likely have fond memories of playing on an arcade cabinet. But no matter how much you may love them, there’s not a lot of room in most homes to keep every arcade game you love. Fortunately, if you want to revisit your youth, or just play video games as they meant to be played, you’ve got a new space-saving option in The Polycade.
Don’t think you’re getting just an emulator in a box, though. To start with, the Polycade comes with a professional grade cabinet, designed by carpenters, machined by robots, and carefully painted and assembled to allow you to add graphics, swap out panels, and otherwise customize it to your heart’s content. Speaking of which, you can also customize the controls; in addition to shipping with two fighter-style sticks, you’ll also be able to get a traditional four-way stick for games like Pac-Man and a trackball for classics like Arkanoid. Nor will you be limited entirely to arcade classics; they’ve tested the hardware with multiple retro systems, right up to the more popular 16-bit consoles, and thus you’ll be able to play games the way they were meant to. Well, standing up, at least. Hey, it’s more intense for your body than sitting on the couch.
Classic arcade gaming is a lot of fun, but packing it into a space smaller than, say, a minimall retail condominium, can be tricky. The Polycade keeps the feeling of gaming in a blacklit space full of techno music, but makes it something you can actually enjoy without having to hunt for quarters. Or, for that matter, deal with the stoner out front hitting you up for said quarters. And it’s preserving a lot of gaming history, into the bargain.
Also why not check out:
- 10 of the Best Video Games 2014
- 6 of the Sexiest Video Game Sex Scenes Part II (nsfw/video/list)
- 7 of the Sexiest Video Game Sex Scenes (video/list)
- Battlefield 4 BETA: Hands on Impressions (list)
- Best Of The Best: The Top 12 Games On Xbox Live Arcade
- Bleach Soul Resurreccion Review
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Pre-Order Bonus Comparison, Early Access This Saturday
- Grand Theft Auto 4 Leaked On Bit Torrent
- GTA 5 vs. Saints Row 4 (comparison)
- GTA 5: Nudity, Sex and other Explicit Things to Find in Los Santos (NSFW)
- GTA III Collector’s Edition Action Figure (video)
- Kick Ass Kung Fu video game
- Monaco: What’s Yours Is Mine Review (XBLA)
- Nike Has Invented a Laser System to Create Instant Soccer Courts in Any City (video)
- Top Five Tech Girls with the Best Racks
- White Knight Chronicles 2 Review