PC gaming has never been as awesome or cutting-edge as it is today. With new monitor technology, you can amp up your gaming sessions to the next level, especially when you start playing on 4K, ultra HD monitors. If you’re looking for a new monitor for gaming, you’d be hard-pressed to justify buying anything other than 4K. And since there are so many choices on the market today, we’ve gone out and played on 10 of the most popular best gaming 4K monitors of 2019 to find out which one is best for avid gamers like you. During our testing, we measured response time, refresh rates, screen sizes, adaptive sync functionality and color availability.
After playing our favorite games for dozens of hours on these monitors, we narrowed our list down to the top 3, with the ASUS PG278QR 27″ 4K gaming monitor coming out on top. This monitor sports a super quick response time, AMD FreeSync and tons of configurable options, making it an easy choice for the #1 spot. Keep reading to learn more about the ASUS PG278QR and the other 2 best picks for the best 4K monitors of 2019.
Best 4K Gaming Monitors For 2019
|ASUS MG28UQ 4K||Acer Predator XB271HK||LG 27MP59G-P|
|Rank||#1 - Editor's Choice / Best 4K Gaming Monitor||#2 - Best High Performance 4K Gaming Monitor||#3 - Best Budget 4K Gaming Monitor|
|Resolution||3840 x 2160||3840 x 2160||3840 x 2160|
|Screen Size||28-inch IPS||27-inch IPS||27-inch IPS|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
#1 Pick ASUS PG278QR 27″
Award: Best 4K Gaming Monitor
Price: $519.99 | Features: AMD FreeSync, 1ms response time, ASUS GamePlus configuration profiles
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: The ASUS PG278QR is a cheaper 4K monitor for budget gamers.
It’s rare to find a product that really encompasses everything you expect when you hear the phrase “the complete package”, but the ASUS PG278QR is about as close as they come without going overboard. While this monitor’s perfect for the hardcore gamer, pair it with the best monitor for video editing for the best of both worlds.
At only $519.99 it’s simultaneously one of the cheapest, yet feature-rich gaming displays on the market (4K or otherwise), and is a marvelous example of how a company can make a solid product with great performance but still keep it within the range of most gamer’s budgets. All the standards are here, including the defining 3840 x 2160 resolution, 1ms response time for ultra-quick games, 16 9 aspect ratio, and AMD’s FreeSync technology which prevents screen tearing during high-paced action sequences on screen. And speaking of fast action, the best gaming mouse will make sure that you don’t miss a beat whether shooting, running or jumping. That aspect ratio 16 9 makes watching movies great too.
For these reasons and so many more, the ASUS PG278QR is the best overall gaming monitor with 4K for 2019. It is one of the best gaming monitors there is.
#2 Pick Acer Predator XB271HK 27″ Gaming Monitor
Award: Best High Performance 4K Gaming Monitor
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: The Acer Predator XB271HK is perfect for gaming or creative work, take your pick!
It’s no secret by now that when it comes to gaming monitors, Acer and its Predator line of performance-focused displays have quickly rocketed to the top of every self-respecting gamer’s Christmas wish list. This is the best gaming monitor from Acer. Right up there with the ASUS Rog Swift.
We raved about the Predator X34 when we got a chance to review it in house, and everything that made that screen great is back in spades with the slightly more conservative – but still obscenely powerful – Predator XB271HK. And while all the options you’d hope for make an appearance in the XB271HK just as they did in the X34, what sets this screen apart is its 100% accurate color reproduction across sRGB and AdobeRGB color gamut scores. If the gamer in your life already has a monitor, check out this list for some more of the best gifts for gamers.
This means if you need a display that can perform just as sufficiently at work as it does at home, this is going to be the best buy for you. Especially if you want the best external monitor for gaming.
#3 Pick LG 27MP59G-P 27″ Gaming Monitor
The LG 27MP59G-P may not look as flashy as other gaming products, but it’s got just as much polish and precision in every one of its parts.
Award: Best Budget 4K Gaming Monitor
Price: $229.99 | Read Full Review: LG 27MP59G-P | Features: AMD FreeSync, 1ms response time, IPS display
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: The LG 27MP59G-P is fast, powerful, and cheap. What more could you ask for?
Rounding out our list is the 27″ LG 27MP59G-P 4K UHD gaming monitor, which, while not as flashy or stylish as some other LG or overall gaming products on the market, still performs handily under the pressures of what gamers need in a pinch (while they’re pinching pennies). It is an IPS panel type.
The 27MP59G-P doesn’t have spectacular color representation, so if you’re looking for something that’s good for creative work and gaming both we’d refer you to the XB21HK instead, but outside of that small caveat everything else you could want is here to shine. AMD FreeSync compatibility, Dynamic Action Blur Sync, black stabilizer technology and a cool $229 price tag are just a few of the features that come stock with this LG 4K monitor, all of which helped it to earn the number three spot on our list this year. If you’re looking for budget IPS monitors or an affordable FreeSync monitor, this is the choice for you. We love that this best cheap monitor has these features. Pair it with the best monitor stand for added versatility.
Mistakes to Avoid
First and foremost, don’t buy just any 4K monitor that’s on the cheap end of the scale and think you can automatically use it for gaming due to the resolution alone. Gaming monitors in particular are built with certain features and fast response times that coincide with what gamers need most: speed, and responsiveness.
Also, make sure you avoid displays that don’t come with custom gaming profiles. These are settings you can pre-configure depending on the game you’re playing to ensure you get the best possible brightness, contrast ratio, and speed for when you play games of different styles such as FPS, RTS, and MMMORPGs.
Most Important Features on a 4K Gaming Monitor
- The best 4K gaming monitor will be larger than at least 24″, as the detail beyond that isn’t worth the extra resolution if you don’t have the screen space to truly enjoy it.
- 27- to 34-inches is the sweet spot for most gaming monitors, and this goes doubly so for 4K options.
- Not so big that it won’t fit on your desk, but also large enough that the 4K resolution has an opportunity to stretch its legs out and shine. A 21 9 aspect ratio isn’t needed.
Ports and Connectors
- Make sure that both your gaming monitor and the machine you plan to play with have a DisplayPort-HDMI adapter, version 1.2.
- This is important for G-Sync and FreeSync technology, both of which make sub 2ms response times possible.
- Both G-Sync and FreeSync, also known as adaptive sync technology, are relatively new technologies in the gaming space, and have only recently made their way onto 4K displays as of this year.
- Each prevent a phenomena known as “screen tearing”, where the information the graphics card is sending to the monitor is temporarily out of sync (hence the names).
- These create a solid link between both devices so they never miscommunicate, and the animations on-screen stay smooth and buttery throughout.
- In general, there’s no rule for how much a 4K gaming monitor may set you back.
- Some like the Samsung UE590 or ASUS MG28UQ don’t break the $500 mark, but they are also made for gaming exclusively.
- Others, like the Acer XB271HK, creep into the $900 range, primarily due to the fact that it’s both a gaming monitor and a creative professionals monitor, complete with 100% color gamut representation.
- Unfortunately, for the time being there are no 4K gaming monitors that can press past the 60Hz refresh rate limit…though this is looking to change in very near future.
- Due to the strains that a high refresh/high pixel count combo can put on your average graphics card (and more to the point, DisplayPort 1.2), right now only a GTX 1080 SLI combo would come within a mile of being able to support a 4K display that ran at 100Hz, let alone the refresh rate 144hz or the rumored 240Hz that should be coming out in the next year or so.
- Regardless, as long as your 60 Hz monitor has G-Sync, you should still get decent performance and picture quality that will last over the long haul.
Which Best 4K Gaming Monitor is Right for You
The best 4K gaming monitors have come a long way in recent years. Once populated by a few fringe hyper-expensive models that only had one or two of the features that gamers wanted, now almost all of them have a bevy of port options, G-Sync or FreeSync compatibility, and one model in particular is even great for creative work to boot.
Which is right for you will ultimately depend on your budget, and more to the point, what kind of graphics card you have. In the end you’ll want a screen that has G-Sync if you run an Nvidia GPU, while a monitor with Free-Sync is going to be the choice for the AMD loyal. Luckily we have a mix of both on our list of the best 4K gaming monitors in 2019, so you always have plenty of options when you choose the one that finally lands on your desk at home!
4K Gaming Monitor FAQs
Are 4K gaming monitors worth it?
4K gaming monitors can really take your gaming experience to the next level, but only if you have a GPU powerful enough to handle 4K resolution. So, if you’re ready to spend a little more to ensure you have a 4K-capable GPU and all the supporting accessories (DisplayPort cables, etc.), then 4K monitors are definitely worth it.
What is the best refresh rate for a 4K monitor?
144Hz 4K monitors have finally hit the market, which was so used to 60Hz 4K monitors for so long. If you’ve got a high-performance GPU, you can overclock it to give you a full 144Hz on your 4K monitor. Be aware that 4K gaming monitors with this high of a refresh rate will be a bit more expensive than 60Hz monitors and require the use of at least a DisplayPort 1.4 display cable.
Is there a 144Hz monitor?
Yes, there are several 144Hz 4K monitors available today. Some of the most popular options include:
- Acer Nitro XV273L
- Acer Predator XB273L
- Asus ROG Swift PG27U
Which is the best 4K monitor?
The best 4K monitor by far is the Asus PG278QR. With a whopping 27 inches of 4K real estate, FreeSync capabilities and blazing fast response time, this monitor can elevate your gaming experience in more ways than one. It’s also one of the most affordable 4K monitors available today, making it a great choice for gamers on any kind of budget.