When you begin the process of shopping for a laptop, finding the best laptops in 2019 can often lead to more questions than answers. Do you want a Chromebook? An ultrabook? A two-in-one computer? A Windows or Macintosh machine? A thin and lightweight laptop or one that provides a large display screen and large battery? Quite a few different categories are available in today’s laptop market, giving you many options to find the exact portable computer that will meet your needs.
But perhaps you’re just seeking a good, all-around computer that can provide versatility in a few different areas of computing. Making use of these top 2019 laptops will give you good results overall in performance and feature sets, although you may not have top-of-the-line performance in any particular area of computing.
- 1 Top Laptops for 2019
- 2 #1 Pick Dell XPS 13
- 3 #2 Pick Microsoft Surface Book
- 4 #3 Pick Toshiba Chromebook 2
- 5 #4 Pick Lenovo LaVie Z
- 6 #5 Pick Apple MacBook Air 13-inch
- 7 What to Look for in the Best Laptops 2019
- 8 Mistakes to Avoid
- 9 Most Important Laptop Features
- 10 Which Best Laptops in 2019 Are Right For You
Top Laptops for 2019
|Dell XPS 13||Microsoft Surface Book||Toshiba Chromebook 2||Lenovo LaVie Z||MacBook Air 13-inch|
|RAM||8 GB||8 GB or 16 GB||4 GB||8 GB||4 GB or 8 GB|
|CPU||2.2GHz Intel |
|Intel Core i5 or i7||2.16GHz Intel |
|2.4GHz Intel |
|Intel Core i5 or i7|
|Storage||230 GB SSD||128 GB to |
1 TB SSD
|16 GB SSD||256 GB SSD||256 GB
or 512 GB flash
|Touchscreen||Certain models||Yes||No||Certain models||No|
|Battery Life||Up to 12 hours||Up to 12 hours||Up to 9 hours||Up to 9 hours||Up to 12 hours|
|Weight||2.8 pounds||3.34 pounds||3 pounds||1.87 pounds||2.96 pounds|
|Size||11.98 x 7.88 x 0.6 inches||12.3 x 9.14 x 0.9 inches||12.6 x 8.4 x 0.8 inches||12.56 x 8.35 x 0.67 inches||12.8 x 8.94 x 0.68 inches|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
#1 Pick Dell XPS 13
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: A powerful machine with a beautifully uncompromising design.
Dell provides its infinityEdge technology with the Dell XPS 13, allowing the manufacturer to place a 13-inch display in a laptop size that normally would house an 11-inch display. The screen resolution offers 5.7 million pixels at 276 pixels per inch for an impressive view as we discovered in our Dell XPS 13 review. The display has a 170-degree viewing angle, and a touchscreen configuration is an option too.
As with most of the best Windows laptops, the XPS 13 has a fast boot of several seconds because of its solid state drive. The unit’s keyboard has a backlight to benefit typing in low-light conditions. Dell did not include an optical drive with the XPS 13, but it does have an SD memory card reader and two USB 3.0 ports. The thin and lightweight unit measures only 0.6 inches at its thickest point and weighs about 2.8 pounds.
#2 Pick Microsoft Surface Book
Price: $1,499 | Screen Resolution: 3000×2000 | Touchscreen: Yes
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: Two for the price of three; power, versatility and a tablet.
The Microsoft Surface Book ranks both as one of 2019’s best laptops and as a best laptop for college students, thanks in large part to its two-for-one capabilities. You can use the versatile Surface Book as a standard notebook with a backlit keyboard and as a standalone tablet. The 13.5-inch display screen is impressive, offering touch capabilities. The biggest drawback to this model is the high starting price, which can increase quickly if you choose top-end components.
#3 Pick Toshiba Chromebook 2
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: Bargain price and an excellent battery life.
One of the best values you’ll find in this list of the best laptops is the Toshiba Chromebook 2, which offers a very low price versus full-fledged laptops. While the best Chromebooks might not offer all of the features you want for high-end computing power, the Toshiba Chromebook 2 works well for basic computing work, offering an HD resolution 13.3-inch display screen as we determined in our Toshiba Chromebook 2 review, great battery life, and a backlit keyboard.
#4 Pick Lenovo LaVie Z
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: Lightweight yet built like a tank.
The Lenovo LaVie Z deserves consideration of one of the best laptops for 2019, thanks to its sturdy, but lightweight, design. The LaVie Z weighs only 1.87 pounds, yet it offers a high-resolution 13.3-inch display screen. It measures just 0.67 inches in thickness. Different configurations of the LaVie Z are available, including one where you can fold the laptop screen 360 degrees, turning it into a tablet. This unit also is one of the best ultrabook options available.
#5 Pick Apple MacBook Air 13-inch
Price: $1,331.30 | Screen Resolution: 1440×900 | Touchscreen: No
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: Blissful design with great ergonomics.
The biggest drawback to the 13-inch MacBook Air laptop is its below average display screen, which doesn’t offer even full HD resolution. However, Apple’s MacBook Air stacks up well against the other units on the best laptops 2019 list, offering strong battery life, a powerful processor, and a thin design. As with most Apple laptops, the price is a little high if you choose to configure this model with high-end components, but the starting price is reasonable.
What to Look for in the Best Laptops 2019
Meeting Your Needs: When shopping for one of the best 2019 laptops, it pays to do your homework. You need to understand exactly what you want from a laptop before you attempt to purchase one, or you run the risk of over-spending, purchasing a machine that has more power than you need, or under-spending, and ending up with a unit that can’t perform the tasks you need to complete.
Display: The top laptops 2019 list contains computers with both a traditional display screen and a touchscreen, more like a tablet. You’ll pay more for touch capabilities, so figure out whether you need a touchscreen before you spend more than you need to.
Price: Among the best portable computers, the price varies quite a bit. You may want to set a budget before you begin shopping, which will prevent you from over-spending. Perhaps a laptop budget of $500 is appropriate for you, or maybe you’re looking at spending $1,000 or more.
Read: Best Gaming Laptops
Mistakes to Avoid
Watch the Upgrades: When you see a price advertised for a laptop, remember that the price quote is often for the minimum configuration of features and components. While you often can upgrade components before ordering, you will see the price climb quickly. Make sure that the components quoted in the price match your needs.
Poor Quality Computers: If a price for a laptop seems to be surprisingly low, take a close look at the brand of the laptop and make sure the components are of a high quality. Off-brand laptops may contain components that are of a poor quality, which may cause the unit to fail.
Most Important Laptop Features
- The memory, or RAM, is the area of the portable computer where the currently loaded software resides, providing quick access for the CPU. The more RAM your computer has available, the faster and more effectively it will work.
- The CPU is the notebook computer’s processor. As you type a document, watch a movie, or play a game, the CPU will perform the processing on the digital file, allowing the computer to do the work you want it to do. Newer processors that run at higher clock speeds (measured in GHz) can perform the work faster.
- Storage refers to the internal storage unit of the laptop, where you’ll save documents and photographs. A storage unit for a newer computer will be a solid state drive (SSD), which works fast and has no moving parts, but it is more expensive than a traditional HDD (hard disk drive) with spinning platters.
- A large screen makes it easier to multitask and have multiple windows open on the screen. And if you plan to watch TV shows or movies on your portable computer, a large screen will make the process more enjoyable.
- Some screens also have a wide viewing angle, which allows multiple people to simultaneously see the screen clearly.
- Most laptop screens have a high resolution that’s better than full HD resolution. 4K resolution screens aren’t very popular yet however.
- A laptop that is a two-in-one device will offer a touchscreen display, allowing you to use the unit as a traditional laptop or as a tablet. However, a touch-enabled laptop usually will cost more.
- Good battery performance is a must in a laptop. After all, part of the reason you want a laptop is for its portability, which means working from battery power.
- Weight is a key component for a portable device like a laptop, as you’re going to be carrying it from place to place.
- Most laptops are very thin devices, especially the best laptop brands. If you choose a smaller than average laptop, just make sure that the keyboard fits your hands.
Which Best Laptops in 2019 Are Right For You
The most important factor to consider when looking at the entries in the best laptop 2019 list is ensuring that you find a unit that will perform the tasks that you need. Some people will want a two-in-one that they can use as a tablet or a laptop. Others may want more of a gaming laptop, which will require top-end processing power and plenty of RAM. Or you could be someone who needs a laptop that’s extremely versatile, offering the ability to perform numerous different tasks without being heavily weighted toward one type of task. Before shopping, make a list of the things you need to have in a laptop and set a maximum budget, and you’re sure to be able to find a great laptop that can work for you!