The connected home. It’s among us and more evident than ever before. We’re talking Philips Hue, Sonos, Nest, August and whole variety of other products that are supposed to simplify our lives. Like the best smart remotes. However, controlling them can be just a painstaking as setting them up. Enter the Sevenhugs Smart Remote.
What Makes The Sevenhugs Smart Remote Different
So what makes this Smart Remote different than the rest? Or more importantly, why buy this instead of just using your iPhone or Android? One word: simplicity.
Using something called “indoor localization technology”, the Smart Remote automatically knows what device you’re pointing it at and interacts with that device accordingly. In other words, you don’t have to select the device, which in my experience, such as the Harmony One, can greatly slow the process, so much so it defeats the purpose of a universal remote.
“By 2019, the smart home market is expected to reach $28 billion, with more than 69 million homes connected worldwide,” said Simon Tchedikian, CEO & Cofounder, Sevenhugs. “Yet, the smart home technology fragmentation remains an obstacle with every connected object needing to be controlled by a dedicated smartphone application or a remote control. With the Smart Remote, you only need one solution to control everything in your home with just one touch.”
I’m not sure what short range tech Sevenhugs is using (Bluetooth?), but included are three “connected sockets”, which, from what I can understand, work to triangulate the position of the remote and thus determine what it’s pointing at – sort of like triangulating a cell phone’s position using cell towers.
What Devices Does it Work With, How Much and When
As of now, even though the product is still in development, the Smart Remote works with Nest, Sonos, and Phillips Hue lightbulbs. And fear not, there is an open SDK, so other products are sure to arrive, hopefully before the product’s launch this September for $200. If you’re so inclined, you can preorder one today.
Included is a base station for charging. I can’t tell you specifically how big the screen is or what type it is. But if the video is a true representation, then my hats off to them, because it’s looks exceptionally bright and clear.
Seven hugs is a French startup founded in 2014 by Simon Tchedikian, Stéphane Jaubertou, Lionel Marty, and Olivier Mandine. They’re, at their core, a smart-home technology company that designs and markets integrated home devices and services aimed at simplifying the home-technology experience.
Also why not check out:
- 6 Reasons Why You Need Wink To Control All Your Connected Devices (list)
- 6 Things You Need To Know About Apple’s “Smart Homes” (List)
- Answer The Door From your Smartphone With The iDoorCam (video)
- Best Smart Home Devices
- Blink Smart HD Home Monitoring and Alert System Ditches The Wires
- Cyber-rain Smart Sprinkler System
- Earth Quake Home Alarm System
- Ecobee CEO on the Future of the Connected Home
- Ecobee Smart Thermostat Takes The Aggravation Out Of Smart Homes
- FishBit Gives Your Aquarium Smart Controls, Water Sensors
- Flic Smart Buttons Control Your Home Devices With One Push
- FlipFlic Wants to Automate Your Window Blinds
- Gadgets At A Glance: Watt’s Up? An Internet Enabled Electricity Meter
- HELLO 2 Fully Encrypted All-In-One TV Companion
- Intel Demos In Home Energy Monitoring System, Works On A Single Outlet
- Intelligent Sprinkler Controller Automatically Waters Your Lawn
- Listnr Recognizes Finger Snaps and Your Baby’s Cries
- MaxMyTv Turns Your TV Into A Command Hub
- NEEO Is A Thinking Remote That Controls Your Home
- Nest Labs’ Protect Smoke Detector Is More Than A Traditional Smoke Detector
- onecue: A Standalone Device For Gesture-Controlling Your Home
- Onzo Smart Energy Kit Helps You Track Your Home’s Electricity Usage
- Orbit B-hyve Smart Hose Faucet Timer Review
- Oregon Scientific Comes Green With The RMR500 Eco Clima Control
- Powerhouse Dynamics’ eMonitor Gives You A Real Time Read Out Of Your Energy Consumption (video)
- Revolv Links All Your Wireless Home Devices Together
- Sanwa’s Power Strip Displays Your Energy Usage
- SilverPAC’s SilverSTAT 7 Thermostat Is A 7-inch Touchscreen Home Monitoring System
- Skydrop Sprinkler System Saves You Water And Money (video)
- Smart Meters Cause Issue In Texas, Drug Dealers Be Warned
- SmartThings Home Automation Brews the Coffee, Turns on the AC, Makes Everything Cool (video)
- Switchmate: Turn Your Ordinary Light Switch Into A Smart Light Switch
- The bRight Switch Will Make Your Home Easier To Control
- The iPort Transforms Your iPad & iPod Touch Into A Home Controller
- The ivee Sleek Is A Voice-Activated Assistant For Your Home That Control Blinds, Thermostat and More (video)
- Turn Your Window Shades Into Smart Shades (video)
- VAVA Mobile Pet Cam Is A Smart Pet Nanny
- VueZone Personal Video Network Review
- Welcome Is The Camera That Recognizes Your Family