We assembled a list of the best overhead garage storage racks, preferring industrial-grade steel racks with a minimum storage surface of 3.75’ x 3.75’ and capable of supporting a minimum weight of 250 pounds. We also preferred them to be height-adjustable from no less than 28” and designed with heavy-duty long brackets made to attach to ceiling studs or joists. Finally, we favored those models with a mesh storage surface to prevent dust and moisture buildup and discourage pests.
Of the models we put through rigorous research, the Fleximount 4×8 Overhead Garage Storage Rack is the best overhead garage storage rack that you can buy today. This is because of its excellent value, cold-rolled heavy-duty steel construction, 600lb maximum load rating, extra ceiling mount brackets, and overall storage flexibility. Keep reading to see the rest of the models that made our list. But first things first. Go over our guide on how to get the best prices on appliances.
Top 4 Overhead Garage Storage Racks
#1 FLEXIMOUNTS 4×8 Overhead Garage Storage Rack
Award: TOP PICK
WHY WE LIKE IT: It’s an extremely solidly built, heavy-duty unit that features an extremely high weight limit, great adjustability for a variety of storage needs, and is easy to install using detailed, but clear instructions.
- Very easy to install
- Comes with six extra-long ceiling brackets
- Maximum storage load of 600lbs
- The heaviest of the racks on our list
The Fleximount is constructed out of heavy-duty cold-rolled steel with a large 4×8” storage surface area and an adjustable height of 22” to 40”, allowing for 105 cubic feet of storage. It has a maximum loading rating of 600lbs, an integrated grid design in which the storage surface’s frame and wire are fused for maximum sturdiness, and the six long ceiling mounts allow for attachment to more ceiling joists than most models, with more surface area per mount.
Related: Check out the best magnetic screen doors.
Although the Fleximount is the heaviest and bulkiest on our list, clocking in at over 60 pounds, its extremely high weight limit, extra features that improve security and sturdiness, an impressive range of adjustability, and relative ease of installation using the excellent and detailed instructions included make it the strongest all-around rack we researched. It is definitely among the best racks for your garage shelving.
#2 HyLoft 00540 45-Inch by 45-Inch Overhead Storage System
Award: HONORABLE MENTION
WHY WE LIKE IT: A well-built, ultra-secure, versatile unit that’s a great option for people with smaller garages or smaller storage needs, with a lightweight and an easy installation procedure.
- Best for small garages
- Lightweight, weighing just 26 lb
- Extremely easy to install
- The lowest weight limit on our list (250 lb)
- Small cubic foot storage capacity
The Hyloft is constructed from heavy-duty steel with a white gloss finish and features a surface area of 45 x 45”, a maximum load rating of 250 lbs, 4 heavy-duty ceiling mounts, a wire mesh storage surface design, and an adjustable height from 17-28”. This will give you flexibility in your space, to still be able to fit the best carport.
Related: Looking for a convenient way to store your clothes? Try the best portable closet.
It’s a strong, nice-looking rack with good adjustability options, but its maximum weight rating is lower than others on our list, as is the maximum storage capacity of 30 cubic feet. But its high adjustability, ease of installation, and excellent construction make it a great choice for people with smaller storage needs who appreciate a good value. With new storage space in the garage, you’ll want to read our guide on the best garage lighting.
#3 MonsterRax 4×8 Overhead Rack
Award: EASIEST TO INSTALL
WHY WE LIKE IT: It’s a sturdy unit that will handle a heavy load (max 500 lb) and has design features that make it easy to install and disassemble.
- Lighter weight than models with similar weight capacities
- “Waterfall” design frame and wire mesh
- Maximum load limit of 500lbs
- No center ceiling mounts
- Frame and wire mesh less robust than top model
The Monsterax is constructed with high-quality 14-gauge steel- the standard for industrial steel- and has a surface area of 4×8’ and a maximum load limit of 500lbs. It has an adjustable height of 24-45”, a wire and frame with an easy-to-put together “waterfall” design that locks in for a more secure fit, and four ceiling mount brackets.
The lack of a center set of ceiling mounts makes it a little less secure than our top pick, and the unit’s lighter weight, along with its two-piece design, make it a slightly less robust rack, but both the lighter weight and “waterfall” snap-on design of the frame and wire also make it extremely easy to install and disassemble, making it a good choice if your storage needs are likely to change frequently but you still need a unit capable of holding a lot of weight. Get your best shop cloth ready, because this storage space will be perfect to house the tools for your DIY projects.
#4 SafeRacks SR-4×4-W/RT 24 Overhead Garage Storage Rack
Award: BEST FOR SMALL LOADS
WHY WE LIKE IT: It offers very secure storage for smaller loads with extra features for added versatility, including 2 drop hooks to provide even more storage.
- Includes two drop hooks for extra hanging storage
- Easy to install
- Heavier than similar-sized units
- Non-integrated frame and wire design
The SafeRacks is constructed out of heavy-duty steel and has a surface area of 4×4”, adjustable height from 24” to 45”, and a maximum weight load rating of 250lbs. It also includes a two-piece frame and wire design, 4 steel ceiling mount brackets, and s two medium-duty hooks for hanging more items.
With a significantly lower weight limit and surface area than two of the units on our list, it offers less storage capacity, but it’s a high-quality storage rack that’s a great choice for people with less demanding storage needs that offers more ceiling clearance than similar-sized models, and the included hooks are great for hanging tools, dry cleaning bags, or other medium-weight items that won’t fit in the rack itself. If you use your garage as a space to work on your car, you may also want to look into the best car battery charger. While you’re at it, you’ll want to read our review on the best car jack too.
How We Decided
In our rigorous research process, we preferred highly affordable models made of the finest industrial-grade steel, had wire-mesh storage surface designs to help prevent dust and moisture buildup, and were rated for a maximum weight of no less than 250 pounds. We also preferred garage storage racks that featured adjustable height options.
We liked racks that offered a good ratio between the weight of the unit and the maximum weight it’s rated to hold (aka capacity), keeping in mind that ceilings often have safe maximum load limits that are lower than the maximum load ratings of many larger rack units. Fortunately, many units today are made with steel formulated to pass industrial-strength standards while still being relatively lightweight.
Though motorized overhead garage storage racks are popular, they tend to be much less of a value than standard units, so we avoided them for the purposes of this list.
We also favored racks with storage surfaces of no less than 3.75 x 3.75’, minimum heights of no less than 28”, and those with extra-long mounting brackets designed specifically to attach to ceiling joists.
Because overhead garage storage installation can be frustrating, we also preferred racks that were easy to install without the purchase of additional tools.
Best Overhead Garage Storage Rack Buyer’s Guide
The Most Important Features to Consider
- Heavy-duty but Lightweight
Overhead garage storage racks are generally meant to hold hundreds of pounds of materials securely, but they’re also built to be attached to ceilings.
- Therefore, it’s extremely important that the rack you choose is made out of metal that is both heavy-duty but as lightweight as possible so as not to add too much to the load the ceiling is bearing.
- For bulky items, it’s beneficial to opt for a heavy-duty rack that is made from high-quality materials. This ensures plenty of storage options, and the weight of the rack won’t cause any damage or strain on the ceiling structure over time.
- Be sure to examine the weight of the racks you’re looking at and ensure they’re guaranteed to be constructed with heavy-duty or industrial-grade steel.
- Keep this in mind as you start getting garage storage ideas. Because some of the worst garage organization ideas will crash and burn if you don’t get sturdy racks that are easy to put up.
- Adjustable Height
What you use your garage for and what you use your overhead garage ceiling storage rack for are likely to change over time. For example, a new vehicle or a roof rack may require you to increase ceiling clearance.
- For these reasons, the adjustable height is an important feature for overhead storage racks to have, as long as it doesn’t decrease the rack’s weight-bearing limit.
- Racks with adjustable tiers allow you to customize the storage layout based on your needs. You can raise racks up toward the ceiling to create more floor space in your garage. Or, you can lower racks down to accommodate larger items like sports equipment or coolers that need more vertical clearance.
- The innovative design optimizes the use of overhead storage space. By configuring the racks to fit your specific storage needs, you maximize what you can fit in the overhead area. The flexibility to reposition racks creates room for vehicles below while still providing access to bins and shelves above.
- Just ensure any rack you choose is reinforced to handle weight even at maximum height. Adjustable overhead racks with durable construction, and those with a powder coat finish, take full advantage of unused ceiling space without sacrificing strength.
- Additionally, you may need to store bulkier garden tools or more items that take up valuable garage space. When this happens, it’s important to find the right garage storage solutions for your needs.
- All of the racks on our list feature adjustable height, making them perfect for great garage overhead storage. However, not every rack available comes with adjustable height, so make sure to read item descriptions carefully.
- Ceiling Studs
Overhead garage storage racks are wonderful for helping you reduce clutter off the floors and organize. Remember, as you get garage ideas for storage, that some models can support hundreds of pounds of storage.
- But, unfortunately, they’ve also got to attach to ceilings, which means that the most secure place they can be attached is the ceiling joists, also known as ceiling studs.
- The ceiling studs are also the best support for top-rated motorized overhead garage storage.
- While you could theoretically attach anything to a ceiling stud with the right tool, it’s definitely best, especially if you plan on storing a lot of weight on your rack, to make sure the model you buy is designed specifically to attach to them.
- Wire Grill Storage Surface
Garages can be places where mold, dust, moisture, and pests can flourish. For example, a pile of boxes in the dark is a great place for mice and other small animals to make their home. That’s why most, but not all, overhead garage storage racks are designed so that the storage surface has a chicken wire or mesh pattern instead of being simply a solid sheet of metal- this prevents significant amounts of dust and moisture from building up under and around your stored goods, and makes it next to impossible for any small animals to use it for shelter. You can also add utility hooks to the edges of the wire shelf to get some extra storage space and hang bulkier items. For example, you can use the utility hooks to create additional storage space in the form of a bike storage rack. Make sure to double check the maximum pounds per shelf so you don’t overload the garage shelving units. If you have very heavy items, you may want to just leave them on the garage floors and keep lightweight items on the overhead garage storage shelves.