The best jump starter will help you get back on the road, but sadly other gadgets can steal your car.
We take more on faith than we should when it comes to IT security. Recently, though, it’s been shown that cars in particular are less than secure. And nothing illustrates how far the auto industry has to go in order to protect your car better than Rolljam.
Rolljam works using the classic “man in the middle” attack. Gearheads are already getting ready to complain that your car uses a different code each time to open the locks, and this is true. It’s just almost painfully easy to get around. We’ve all pointed a fob at our car and unlocked it. Rolljam intercepts the code that fob broadcasts. When your car doesn’t unlock, and you hit the fob again, it sends a second code, which Rolljam also intercepts… and sends the first code to your car, unlocking the door. Now Rolljam has a code that works in its memory, so hackers can pop open your car at their leisure. Oh, and it works on garage door openers as well. Essentially, you’d better secure your vehicles better. Did we mention this only costs $30 to build, and you can get the parts from pretty much any store selling Radio Shack-esque equipment?
To give you an idea of how extensive the problem is, the inventor of Rolljam found the vulnerability in his own car. And while new models use a passcode expiration system to deal with the issue, he’s hoping to make them upgrade older cars as well. Otherwise, there might just not be a point to locking your doors.
Also why not check out:
- Add This Rear View Safety Backup Camera System To Any Car
- AlarmSecur: Keep Your Car Secure
- Aware Coin Can Track Your Car and Apps – for $9
- Best CB Radio
- Best Headlight Restoration Kit
- Best Jump Starter
- Best Rooftop Cargo Carrier
- Best Transmission Jack
- Bmmpr Smart Alarm Protects Your Car
- CTEK MUS 4.3 “Test & Charge” Battery Maintenance System
- DroneMobile Pairs Your Car With Your iPhone
- Fingerprint Car Starter
- Fly6 Taillight And Camera Protects Cyclists On The Road
- How To Tune A CB Radio
- How to Use a CB Radio
- Hudway Cast Heads Up Display
- Kenu Airframe Review
- MyLIFTER Robot Pulley Gets The Job Done
- Rave On The Move With The Sound / Music Activated Equalizer Car Sticker
- Roadtrip!: Apple’s CarPlay Goes Aftermarket
- Stayhold Keeps Everything In The Back Of Your Car In Place
- SuperTooth HD Voice Review
- The Aware Ensures You Never Lose Your Car Again
- Turn Your Car Into KITT From Knight Rider With Your USB Charger
- Turn Your iOS Device Into A Heads-Up Display With Hudway (video)
- Waylens is a Smart Cam for Your Viral Car Videos
- What Is A CB Radio?