After months of waiting, it’s finally here. GTA V has hit its release date and is available for purchase right now. Hold on a sec, sit back down. You don’t have to jump up and run to your local game retailer, save that gas. I don’t know if you’ve been informed, but with an XBOX Live account, you can download the game directly to your 360. I’m not entirely sure what happened with the whole Pre-Load debacle, but wouldn’t you prefer a nice sit on the couch instead of dealing with traffic, parking, lines, cost of gas, and worse of all, actual people? My dear agoraphobes, introverts and shut-ins, once again, I have you covered. Here are 6 steps to playing GTA V without leaving your living room.[box_info]
Because of how the entire Games on Demand is set up, GTA 5 is not currently available for download via Xbox Live, but will be once Rockstar gets the go ahead from Microsoft. Comments on their official page state:
“For those asking about digital pre-orders on Xbox LIVE, the Xbox 360 Games on Demand service does not offer the ability to pre-order games or make them available on launch day,”
“That being said, we will be making GTAV available via Games on Demand as soon as it’s technically feasible and permitted by Microsoft.”
Once this issue has been resolved, the following steps should still work, as long as the UI doesn’t change between now and then.[/box_info]
Step 1 – Get an Xbox Live account
If you’ve either been locked up in a cage for the last decade or just so happen to be my grandmother, (just yesterday, she made the great accomplishment of learning the difference between the home and power buttons on her iPad), Xbox Live is the system that enabled you to track your gaming scores, interact with other players, stream, and of course, purchase and download games. So you’re going to need an account.
Step 2 – Fund your Xbox Live account
While many games are free, GTA V isn’t one of ’em. Or is it? If you plan on buying games from your couch, you’re going to have to supply the funds to do so.
Step 3 – (Probably) Update your Xbox
Every five or six times I turn on the 360 it needs to update for a few minutes. I don’t know what for, I don’t know how long it’ll take, and yours may not need one, but just in case it asks, don’t say I didn’t warn ya.
Step 4 – Sign in to Xbox Live on your 360
As stated above, Xbox Live is what gives you the ability to legally download games to your 360, if you’re not logged in, they aren’t going to be able to track your purchase, are they?
Step 5 – Find GTA V in the game store
At the top of your screen, you’ll see bing, home, social, games, TV & more, yadda yadda… Use your controller to select the games page. Of the three options on the left side of the boxy games thing, select search games. Alternatively, you can select browse and do a visual search, but I’m not guiding you through that. Once the search form pops up, type in GTA V and hit done. The image for GTA V should pop up and we’re ready to buy.
Step 6 – Purchase and Download
In addition to the game image, you should see the points/$ required to purchase the game ($59.99) and the options to buy game and download to Xbox 360. You want to select the download option.Follow the steps on screen to complete and confirm your purchase.
That’s it, GTA V is soon to be yours. While it’s downloading, do something proactive. Make a sandwich, open a beer, read more of our GTA articles. Let me warn you, the entire world is downloading the game right now, so the transfer rate may be a bit slow for a couple of days. Don’t sweat it, the hours you’ll spend playing the game will swiftly dwarf your current wait time. Oh man, I can’t wait for GTA Online.
Also why not check out:
- 13 of the Best GTA 5 Cheats to Get Your Rampage On
- 250GB Xbox 360 Modern Warfare 2 Limited Edition
- Bulletstorm Review (Xbox 360)
- Cell Phone Cheats For GTA 5
- Crimson Alliance Review
- Grand Theft Auto 4 Cheats for PC
- Grand Theft Auto 4 Cheats for Playstation 3
- Grand Theft Auto 4 Cheats for Xbox 360
- Grand Theft Auto 5 Cheats for the PlayStation 3
- Grand Theft Auto 5 Cheats for Xbox 360
- GTA 5 Mod Lets You Crouch and Teabag At Last
- GTA 5 Mods Recreate Full Sicario Movie Scene
- GTA 5: 12 Ways to Make Easy Money (list)
- GTA 5: Nudity, Sex and other Explicit Things to Find in Los Santos (NSFW)
- How to Get a Free 4GB Xbox 360 Starting May 20th
- Kinect Tesla Coil Hack Lets You Shoot Lightning Bolts From Your Hands (video)
- Mass Effect 3 Review (Xbox 360)
- Microsoft Announces Xbox One Without Kinect for $399
- Sacred 2: Fallen Angel Game Review (Xbox 360)
- The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings Enhanced Edition Review (XBOX 360)
- Who Does This? Xbox 360 Arcade Cabinet For Those Who Are Serious Tools
- Xbox 360 Media Remote Review
- Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel Review