For about 8 months I’ve been devoid of cable TV in my household. It’s expensive and really not satisfying. So I’ve turned to sites like Netflix and Hulu to get 90% of my entertainment – I’m not gonna tell you about the other 10%. But there is a problem: I can’t easily watch the local news, sports and a few other select programs only found by way of the Goliaths Time Warner or Comcast.
That is until Sezmi came knocking at my door. The company is billing it as an “all-in-one TV service” that provides access to local and cable TV, podcasts, movies, web videos and videos on demand. Content is delivered through your Internet connection and the wirelesss HDTV standard to a setup box, which has a 1400 hour DVR. So channels such as CNN, Abc, MTV, Bravo and others are delivered to the box over the air, while Youtube and video on demand is by way of the Net.
Sezmi says that their HD tuner box is “the most effective indoor TV reception system on the market”. It’s a small box that can supposedly fit onto a shelf and connects to the set top box over Ethernet. The antenna automatically adapts to changing signal conditions to optimize your HDTV signal and ensure you have a hassle-free, high-quality TV signal.
Currently Sezmi is available in 36 metro areas (map here) nationwide and from what we understand continues to add more every day. There are two levels: the Sezmi Select and Sezmi Select Plus. Sezmi Select ($4.99/month) provides access to local channels, video on demand and web videos. Sezmi Select Plus ($19.99/month) adds access to premium cable channels such as Comedy Central, Discovery, TNT, VH1, USA, TBS and more. If you wanna know what channels are available in your area go here.
Sounds pretty good compared to your cable bill, right? There is one catch though, aside from a limited amount of channels. The box costs $149.99. Currently Amazon and Best Buy have it for sale, but we’d expect other retailers, such as RadioShack and Frys to begin offering it.
Grew up back East, got sick of the cold and headed West. Since I was small I have been pushing buttons - both electronic and human. With an insatiable need for tech I thought "why not start a blog focusing on technology, and use my dislikes and likes to post on gadgets."