After conducting thorough research, we nominated the BestOffice big and tall office chair as our Top Pick and the best big and tall office chair. We liked that this was a mesh combination chair that supported up to 400 pounds, offered an adjustable six-position lumbar support, and a five-inch seat height adjustment range.
To create our guide for the best big and tall office chairs, we considered the following key criteria: seat height, seat width, lumbar support, weight capacity, materials, and additional features. When browsing for the best big-tall office chair, seat height adjustment ranges and the width of the seat are going to be integral when shopping for a big and tall office chair. Likewise, we focused on weight capacity and considered whether a chair did more than just include lumbar support, but made it adjustable. Keep reading to learn more about our selection criteria and to shop from our recommendations on the best office chairs.
Top 10 Big & Tall Office Chairs
#1 BestOffice Big and Tall Office Chair
Award: TOP PICK
WHY WE LIKE IT: A big and tall ergonomic office chair designed to support up to 400 pounds with five inches of seat height adjustment and built-in adjustable lumbar support.
Read Full Review: Big and Tall Office Chair 400lbs Desk Chair Mesh Computer Chair
- Height range from 17 to 22”
- Supports up to 400lbs
- 6 position adjustable lumbar support
- May not be suitable for smaller individuals
Finding the right support, and a chair with enough adjustable features can be harder when you fall into the big and tall category. But we think this pick from BestOffice is one of the best big and tall ergonomic office chairs from our research. We like the fact that it supports up to 400 pounds. While that isn’t the largest capacity from our research, it’s a solid option for any office space.
Related: Take a quick look at the best armless office chair.
The fact that you also get adjustable, built-in lumbar support is a great value-add, though you can always get even more support with the best back support for office chair models. You can choose from six different lumbar positions. If you’re looking for an office chair with better capacity, you’ll like that this is a mesh-combination pick and has a ventilated backrest for breathability with a thick cushioned seat for additional comfort. You’ll appreciate the adjustable armrests and that you can adjust your seat height from 17 to 22 inches thanks to the pneumatic height adjustment controls. And with a seat that’s 24 inches wide, it’s one of the most comfortable office chairs. You may also be interested in the best office chair for scoliosis that can also be used to help prevent sciatica, herniation, muscle strain, and fatigue.
#2 Sadie Big and Tall Office Computer Chair
Award: HONORABLE MENTION
WHY WE LIKE IT: A big and tall office chair that supports 400 pounds with built-in lumbar support, adjustable armrests, and four inches of seat height adjustment.
Read Full Review: Sadie Big and Tall Office Computer Chair
- Supports up to 400lbs
- Built-in lumbar support and adjustable armrests
- Seat height adjustment from 19 – 23”
- Seat may be narrow for some at just 22” wide
If you prefer the look of a traditional wheeled office chair, then the Sadie Big and Tall Office chair is a great option. It’s another great big and tall office chair that supports 400 pounds, making it a sound option for a variety of body types. We like that it’s’ another mesh combination model with a breathable mesh backrest and a thickly padded cushion to keep your hips, buttocks, and legs comfortable as you work.
Related: Also check the best drafting chair.
We like that this pick also features built-in lumbar support in the backrest to help minimize back pain. You’ll also get four inches of seat height adjustment from 19 to 23 inches. The armrests are also adjustable from 25.6 to 31.5 inches. You can compare this with the best armless office chairs for a different option. The one drawback with the Sadie Big and Tall Office chair is that the seat width is a little narrower than we would prefer at just 22 inches.
#3 Serta Executive Leather Big & Tall Office Chair
Award: BEST DESIGN
WHY WE LIKE IT: The best office chair for plus-size people that supports up to 400 pounds, featuring a luxe mahogany wood base with a bonded leather seat, an adjustable lumbar support panel with responsive technology, and 3.5 inches of seat height adjustment.
Read Full Review: Serta Big & Tall Executive Office Chair
- Supports up to 400lbs
- Includes an adjustable lumbar support panel
- Seat height adjusts from 18.75 to 22.25”
- Narrower seat width at just 21.5”
Executive chairs add a touch of sophistication to any office environment, but they can also be incredibly supportive. We think the Serta Executive Leather Big & Tall chair is one of the best office chairs for plus-size individuals because it offers an adjustable lumbar support panel that responds to your movements to provide proper support as you move or shift in the chair. And best of all, it supports up to 400 pounds — making it a solid choice for a big, tall office chair.
While it’s not made from genuine leather, you’ll love the luxe feel of the bonded leather and the contrast it creates against the mahogany wood base. This chair is available in five colors — including white. You get 3.5 inches for seat height adjustment from 18.75 to 22.25 inches. Compare that to the best standing desk chairs on the market. One drawback with this chair is that it has one of the narrowest seat widths we found at just 21.5 inches wide. Still, with a weight rating of 400 pounds, this is a great big and tall executive chair.
#4 AmazonBasics Bonded Leather Big & Tall Executive Office Chair
Award: BEST FOR HOME USE
WHY WE LIKE IT: The best big and tall office chair for home offices thanks to the padded armrests, lushly padded executive style, and seat adjustment from 18.75 to 22.25 inches.
- Available in distinct 3 colors
- Padded armrests
- Seat adjustment from 18.75 to 22.25
- Lower weight rating at 350lbs
There’s no reason you shouldn’t be comfortable in your home office, which is why we’re including this pick from AmazonBasics. It’s relatively affordable, and comes in three bonded leather upholstery finishes, including white. This pick is, in our opinion, the best big and tall office chair for home offices since it provides the essential features you need in a chair, even if the weight capacity is lower at 350 pounds.
You’ll get a chair with a seat that measures 22 inches wide, which puts it in the median range for a big and tall chair. The seat height can be adjusted from 18.75 to 22.25 inches. But the armrests, while padded, are fixed, which may be a deal-breaker for some people.
#5 Payhere High Back Big and Tall Office Chair
Award: BEST QUALITY
WHY WE LIKE IT: A great big and tall office chair with a 30-degree rocking feature, a 400-pound weight capacity, a built-in USB-powered massager, and just over three inches of seat height adjustment.
- Seat height range from 19 to 22.2”
- Built-in USB powered massager
- 30-degree rocking functionality with tension control
- Fully padded backrest may not that breathable
Just because you’re shopping for a big and tall office chair doesn’t mean that you should sacrifice style or function. The Payhere big and tall office chair is our Best Quality because it fits the bill of merging these two criteria in an affordable executive bonded leather office chair — along with a variety of great features that will make this a worthy investment at a reasonable price point.
First, you’ll get a chair with built-in lumbar support and a USB-powered massager. While there’s only one vibrating mode, this is a great way to give your back some TLC to alleviate lower back pain and serve as stress relief. Next, we like that you get a commendable 30 degrees of rocking functionality from 90 to 120 degrees. And if you prefer, there’s a tension control feature to adjust the flexibility of your rocking. While the armrests are fixed, we do like that they’re padded for added comfort. You’ll get a fully padded backrest as well as just over three inches of seat height adjustment from 19 to 22.2 inches. And this seat is 23 inches wide, making it a solid choice for people seeking a big and tall office chair. You should also try the best ergonomic kneeling chair that not only relieves back pain but does so without shifting discomfort to the other parts of your body.
#6 Serta High Back Big and Tall Executive Office Chair
Award: BEST PADDING
WHY WE LIKE IT: A great executive office chair with bonded leather, a plushly padded backrest, built-in lumbar support, and a choice of four finishes for slightly heavier individuals.
- Available in four finishes
- Seat height adjusts from 20 to 22”
- Built-in lumbar support
- Low weight rating at 350lbs
If you find that traditional office chairs aren’t comfortable or don’t safely support you, then opting for a big and tall office chair is a smart choice. And especially if you like the look of an executive office chair, this pick from Serta is a great place to start. While it’s a lower weight rating at just 350 pounds, and a median width chair at 22 inches, we still think that the plush design and dynamic lumbar support are breakout features that make this a worthy option to consider.
You’ll like that you can choose from three colors and that this pick offers an elevated headrest to provide additional neck support for taller people. The plush backrest and seat are cushioned with supportive body pillows, so you’ll stay comfortable as you work. And you’ll like that the armrests — while fixed — are padded for additional comfort. Unfortunately, you only get two inches of height adjustment from 20 to 22 inches. But with a brand like Serta, you know it’s designed to last. If you’re slightly shorter, the best office chair for short people may be what you need. And for extra comfort, you should look to purchase the best office chair seat cushion.
#7 Starspace High Back Big & Tall Office Chair
Award: BEST SEAT WIDTH
WHY WE LIKE IT: A big and tall chair designed for comfort with a 24-inch wide seat, almost four inches of seat height adjustment, 30 degrees of rocking functionality, and a weight capacity of 400 pounds.
Read Full Review: STARSPACE High Back Big & Tall 400lb Bonded Leather Office Chair
- Available in two finishes
- Supports up to 400lbs
- Seat height adjusts from 16.5 to 20.3”
- Fully padded executive chair is less breathable than a mesh backrest
No one wants to feel cramped in their chair — especially if you’re routinely spending eight or more hours a day in that chair. The Starspace high-back chair is a great bonded leather executive office chair that’s fully padded for your comfort and features plenty of customization options to keep you comfortable. This is another great chair with a 400-pound weight rating, making it a solid choice for a big and tall chair.
You can choose from two upholstery finishes with this chair. You’ll also get a 24-inch wide seat, which is one of the widest options from our research. While the armrests are fixed, we do like that they’re plushly padded to keep you comfortable as you work. This includes a high-density memory foam seat cushion. You can rock in this chair up to 30 degrees from 90 to 120 degrees, with a rocking pressure adjuster to control the intensity of the rocking motion. And you’ll get almost four inches of seat height adjustment from 16.5 to 20.3 inches.
#8 Reficcer Big and Tall Bonded Leather Office Chair
Award: BEST FOR PROFESSIONAL SETTINGS
WHY WE LIKE IT: An overstuffed bonded leather executive office chair with a 120-degree recline, built-in lumbar support, and a 400-pound weight capacity.
Read Full Review: REFICCER Big and Tall Bonded Leather Office Chair
- 400-pound weight capacity
- Built-in adjustable lumbar support
- Fixed armrests
- Only 120-degree recline
If you like the idea of a great gaming chair but not how they look, the Reficcer executive office chair is a great alternative. It gives you many of the features found in a gaming chair with the body of an executive office chair so that it blends in seamlessly with any professional work environment. We think of this chair as a gaming chair for people who aren’t gamers.
The Reficcer chair supports up to 400 pounds, putting it in the median range for weight support within the big and tall category. You’ll get a chair with a 120-degree recline and a super thick 5.9″ seat cushion. The seat height can be adjusted, and the seat width is 22.8 inches. And the high back design provides built-in lumbar support thanks to the knob on the back of the backrest to keep you focused on your work instead of back pain.
#9 YitaHome Big & Tall Gaming Chair
Award: BEST FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF USE
WHY WE LIKE IT: The best big and tall gaming chair from our research with a 180-degree lay-flat recline, a retractable footrest, and a removable USB-powered massaging lumbar pillow.
- Available in 3 gorgeous styles
- 180-degree recline with retractable footrest
- Removable USB-powered massaging lumbar pillow
- Relatively low weight rating at 380lbs
Maybe you’re a gamer, or maybe you just feel that gaming chairs are designed to be more comfortable than any traditional office chair. And we get it, which is why we included the YitaHome Big and Tall gaming chair in our guide. We think it’s the greatest big and tall gaming chair because it’s packed with incredible features designed to keep you comfortable, especially if you’re working (or playing) for extended periods. However, this may not be ideal for everyone with a lower weight capacity of 380 pounds.
Still, we like that this reclining office chair offers a 180-degree lay-flat feature so you can kick back and take a break whenever you want. And to add to that, you’ll get a retractable footrest so you can comfortably lay flat. The seat height is lower, making this a better choice for shorter people since you can adjust the seat height from 13.8 to 17 inches thanks to the gas lift controls. The seat measures 22.4 inches wide, so it’s in the middle range for comfort. You’ll also love that the lumbar support includes a removable USB-powered massaging pillow to ease the discomfort and makes it one of the best office chairs for back pain.
#10 Amolife Big and Tall Office Chair
We’re sorry, this product is temporarily out of stock
Award: BEST ON A BUDGET
WHY WE LIKE IT: A big and tall office chair that supports 500lbs at an affordable price point with built-in lumbar support, almost four inches of seat height adjustment, and is available in three upholstered finishes.
- Height range from 43.3 to 47”
- Available in 3 finishes
- Executive chair with built-in lumbar support
- Fixed armrests
- Narrow seat width at 21”
When you review some brands, shopping for big and tall office chairs can cause sticker shock. But we found a great affordable option that also offers one of the highest weight capacities from our research. The Amolife Heavy Duty Executive Computer Office chair is a great big and tall office chair that supports 500 pounds — which is impressive.
The fully padded backrest features built-in lumbar support for added comfort. You can choose from three upholstery finishes as well. And the fact that you can adjust the total chair height from 43.3 to 47 inches is ideal since it’s a larger height adjustment range. And while we do like that the armrests are padded, note that they’re fixed and cannot be adjusted. Likewise, this is a narrower pick with a seat that measures just 21 inches wide.
How We Decided
Shopping for a big and tall office chair only means that you’ll need to prioritize certain features over others. To create our guide for the best big and tall office chairs, we looked at the following key factors — seat height, seat width, lumbar support, weight capacity, materials, and additional features. All of our recommendations are swivel chairs that feature adjustable seat heights, but the range varies widely. You can also read more about why office chair seat dimensions matter, not only for big and tall users.
Likewise, you’ll need to be mindful of the seat width so that you can comfortably sit in the chair. In our guide, seat widths ranged from 21 inches to as large as 24. Note that all of our picks include waterfall seats. And in the same vein, consider the total weight capacity. A big and tall office chair should definitely offer a higher weight capacity. Our research found that the common range was between 380 to 500 pounds, with 400 pounds being the most common capacity. While it is possible to find big and tall chairs with lower ratings, depending on your dimensions, a lower-rated chair at 350 pounds could still be unsafe. You can also read more about why office chair seat dimensions matter, and not only for big and tall users.
Of course, lumbar support is important, especially if you’re going to be using your chair for long periods every day. Likewise, you’ll want to look for a chair made from sturdy materials that are durable, so you won’t be replacing it frequently. We also featured a few different styles, including traditional mesh combination office chairs, executive chairs, and gaming chairs. And finally, we also included additional features that — while not necessary — can improve your comfort. These included options like true recline functionality, footrests, adjustable arms, and chairs with adjustable lumbar support.
Best Big & Tall Office Chairs Buyer’s Guide
The Most Important Factors to Consider
- Seat Height
There’s something to be said when shopping for a great office chair for big guys. The most important feature to keep in mind as a big and tall user is the chair’s seat height, especially for taller people. Now, if you’re on the opposite spectrum height-wise, there’s always the best office chair for a short person.
- It’s crucial to pay attention to a range of height adjustments when looking for a great office chair geared toward big and tall men. With the best computer chair for big and tall men, users should look for a chair that is adjustable to fit their size and weight.
- This goes beyond simply finding an adjustable chair–you must also ensure that the seat can comfortably accommodate your height. Basically, check into the many office chair sizes to find the right one for you.
- Depending on the type of chair you select, you can get anywhere from three to 10 inches of height adjustment with a computer chair for big guys. In fact, many best office chairs for big guys come with adjustable backrests, armrests, and depth settings.
- Active sitting or chairs designed for standing desks tend to offer the largest seat height — often with a 10-inch range. A standout feature can also be a tall backrest that supports your entire bag and neck.
- Generally, traditional office chairs allow for three to six inches of height adjustment. With that in mind, if you’re looking for a chair tailored to your needs, reviews of the best big and tall office chairs for 2023 can help set you in the right direction.
- Seat Width
Likewise, a big and tall chair (AKA: heavy-duty office chair) should feature wider dimensions than a standard office chair.
- While a standard office chair may offer a seat width between 18 to 20 inches, you may need a wider, more comfortable big & tall office chair that will accommodate you.
- The best office chairs for big and tall individuals will typically have an ergonomic design with a high back, adjustable lumbar support, wide seats, and robust construction that can handle higher weight capacities.
- Look for the best office chair for plus-size people that offers plenty of adjustabilities, as this will help ensure proper ergonomic positioning.
- Or you may need a chair with a larger seat depth. And look for seats with a waterfall edge to support proper blood flow.
- Lumbar Support
Regardless of your dimensions, a big and tall desk chair that provides proper ergonomic support for your spine and hips is important. Prioritize office chairs (AKA ergonomic chairs) with built-in lumbar support for your lower back.
- More premium office chairs will give you the freedom to adjust the lumbar support for a customized experience. Likewise, look for chairs that feature memory foam cushions for added support.
- These features can help lessen your pain, like with the best office chair for hip pain. Additionally, if you have nerve pain, you should check out the best office chair for sciatica to help relieve some of that pain.
- You’ll also want to check out our finest high-back office chairs, which provide excellent support for tall people. As a matter of fact, for those of you who need something more robust, we recommend the best heavy-duty office chair on the market.
- Just like with our list of the best conference room chairs, you want to make sure whoever is using the chair will be comfortable, and good lumbar support goes a long way to increasing comfort.
- Weight Capacity
Larger users may need to seriously consider the max load capacity of the chair they’re considering. Fortunately, there are great computer chairs for big guys that can accommodate up to 350 lbs. and sometimes even more, depending on the model. A great example would be a most comfortable office chair for big and tall people, which is designed with extra-wide seating space and robust construction that provides superior support.
- Most standard office chairs have smaller weight limits than those made for the big and tall category. Therefore, for the most comfortable seating, it is important to find the most comfortable big and tall office chair.
- Whereas the average office chair is usually rated for 250 to 300 or 350 pounds, big and tall chairs are normally designed to be heavy-duty and support at least 400 pounds as the maximum weight capacity.
- You’ll want to keep this in mind and — based on your weight — find a chair that can safely support you.
- As a result, even if a huge and tall office chair suits people weighing 400lbs, you’ll need to be able to prop your feet up and move about to maintain optimal blood flow.
- Additional Features
Other nice adjustments or features that can improve customization and help to make a chair even more user-friendly include adjustable or flip-up armrests (or a padded armrest), a recline or tilt-lock feature, a footrest, seat depth or angle adjustments, or even a backrest that can be adjusted separately from the seat.
- Keep in mind that the more adjustments and controls you have over the angle, pitch, or height of the various office chair components, the pricier that chair may be.
- However, if you are looking for the best desk chair for big and tall needs, then it may be worth investing in a higher-priced model as this will provide better ergonomics for longer periods of time.
- The higher price range can still be a worthwhile investment if these additional features will provide you with additional support for years to come.
- As a matter of fact, if you’re looking for the top office chairs for big and tall, make sure to look for something that offers a larger seat size and adjustable height options.
- Moreover, if any part of your chair begins to squeak or get stuck while adjusting, you’ll want to know how to oil an office chair to fix it right up again. Alternatively, learn if a mat vs wheels on an office chair is better for a hardwood floor.
You’re most likely to find mesh, fabric, and faux or real leather office chairs. You can also find some great executive leather office chairs in fake or real leather. Mesh is usually the most affordable and is also the most breathable of the upholstery choices. Read our HON Wave big tall executive chair review for a great mesh option. But you can also get fully upholstered fabric, faux leather, and real leather office chairs — just keep in mind that a fully padded backrest is often less breathable. That means the same with seating if it’s a padded seat. It may feel like a comfortable chair with its ergonomic design and padding, but breathability contributes greatly to sitting for long hours. However, thanks to innovations like bonded or PU leather, breathability isn’t as much of an issue as it used to be. Additionally, you’ll find that even newer chairs like the Serta Hannah microfiber office chair use the best materials for comfort and breathability. Be aware of the type of warranty you may get with the chair you’re interested in. Even the most ergonomic chairs need maintenance every so often or need repairs. Or if you receive a chair and decide to return it, keep the original box to make shipping the task chair back easier. If you’ve already followed the assembly instructions and built the furniture, follow the instructions in reverse to disassemble it.