My skeptcism meter begins to tingle when a company claims to eclipse the average competitor. In this case it’s an iPod/iPhone dock that promises immersive 3D sound, the Onkyo RBX-500 iLunar Bluetooth Music System.
Onkyo teamed up with Swiss company Sonic Emotion, who develops a piece of tech called Absolute 3D sound. As you’ve probably deduced it bathes the room in sound no matter where your standing, and given the RBX-500’s shape (round) I’m not going to dispute such claims. Inside the air filter looking speaker is a digital amp that powers 6 individual full range 2-inch drivers and a 4-inch subwoofer that is said to deliver a sweet spot to any part of the room.
Needless to say there is 30-pin dock, so anyone with an iPhone 5 will need to pick up an adapter. Alternatively, the system ships with Bluetooth 2.1 (+EDR and a ptX codec) for those seeking a wireless experience, and there is an additional USB port for charging another device, though it doesn’t appear to be good for playing back tunes. Unfortunately, there is no onboard rechargeable battery, so the RBX-500 will be tethered to the wall.
The Onkyo RBX-500 iLunar Bluetooth Music System is available now from Amazon for $249.
Also why not check out:
- AudioEngine A2 Speaker Review
- Bose Soundlink 3 Review
- G-Project G-Drop Speaker Review
- HMDX Jam Plus Speaker Review: $50 Never Sounded So Good
- HMDX Jam Review
- Logitech UE Mobile Boombox Review
- Philip Fidelio DS7700 Bluetooth Docking Speaker Review
- Philips Fidelio DS8550 Speaker Dock Review
- Razer Ferox Review
- Sing Your Heart Out With The Philips StarMaker Wireless Bluetooth Portable Speaker and Karaoke System
- SuperTooth Disco Bluetooth Speaker Review
- Tunebug Shake Portable Speaker Review
- Ultimate Ears MEGABOOM Review
- Yamaha NX-A01: Bluetooth Speaker System
- Yantouch Black Diamond 3 Wireless Bluetooth 2.1 Speaker Review
- Yubz Magnum BlueTooth Speaker Review