The best printers for Mac are ones that connect seamlessly with Apple operating systems and offer robust technology features. We recommend printers that can connect via Wi-Fi easily and that enable you to print from Apple iCloud. Additionally, you should consider printers with Apple AirPrint enabled so that you can connect with your other Apple devices, like iPhone and iPad. Quality is also important to Mac users, so look for models that achieve high-resolution prints and vibrant colors. Generally, get the best printers with all the features that make printing easier and more effective from Mac computers.
After researching reviews of hundreds of printers, we landed on the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M479FDW as our top pick due to its seamless wireless connectivity and advanced set of features. Our research considered a multitude of printers at different price points and with a wide range of features. Continue reading about this, and our other top picks to learn more about the best printers on the market today.
Top 10 Printers for Mac
#1 HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M479FDW Printer for Mac
Award: TOP PICK
WHY WE LIKE IT: If Apple made printers, they may very well look like this HP Color LaserJet Pro model, which has the latest wireless technology that enables a seamless and robust workflow experience with your Mac right out of the box.
- Dual-band Wi-Fi integration
- Large 4.3” smart color touchscreen
- Fast 9.3-second print response time
- Weighs over 50 lbs
Mac users who love speed, quality, efficiency, and high-end features will love this HP LaserJet printer, making it our top pick and the best all-in-one laser printer for Mac. Its dual-band Wi-Fi technology allows you to connect it to your 5 GHz network for quicker speeds and a 2.4 GHz one if that isn’t available. Your mac will immediately recognize and be able to print with and manage the features of the printer quickly. You can also easily use it with your Apple mobile device via Apple AirPrint.
This model has fabulous features that bolster your workflow and efficiency, like its 4.3” touch screen that you can customize with shortcuts for your commonly used tasks. Send double-sided scans straight to email or upload them to your cloud service. HP also offers an HP Utility program specifically designed for Mac OS that you can use for additional printer management and controls. Its well-designed mobile app is available on iOS and is a very effective tool for giving you even more control of and connectivity with the printer’s functions. Compare that with any of the best wireless printers with robust connectivity options.
#2 HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 Printer for Mac
Award: HONORABLE MENTION
WHY WE LIKE IT: The HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 has all the features that Mac users love, including advanced connectivity options, a sleek and compact design profile, and smart touchscreen controls. Its reliable Wi-Fi technology ensures that you’ll also stay connected.
- Self-healing Wi-Fi
- Customizable smart tasks
- Easy cloud-based printing
- Touch screen could be larger
This HP inkjet printer is a pure home-office workhorse. It has all the advanced functionality you need for a busy workday in a compact, attractive minimalist design. Your Mac OS will instantly recognize the printer once it’s connected to your network, and you won’t have to worry about reconnecting with its self-healing Wi-Fi technology. It will automatically recognize any connection issues and go through a three-stage process of stabilizing the connection if needed.
Although HP probably could have made the 2.7” touch screen a tad larger, you’ll hardly notice, given its intuitive smart interface. You can connect it with the HP Smart App to create editable, searchable documents and shortcuts to iCloud right from the printer. This is very useful if you want to print quickly without opening your Mac or grabbing your Apple device. And for portability and functionality in design, consider any of the best printers for students.
#3 HP OfficeJet 3830 Printer for Mac
Award: BEST ON A BUDGET
WHY WE LIKE IT: The HP OfficeJet 3830 is our top budget pick for Mac as it offers Apple AirPrint and Wireless Direct Printing at a fantastic value. Print, copy, scan, and fax easily from your Mac and iOS devices.
- Reproduces without borders
- Auto wireless connect feature
- Print directly from iCloud
- No auto-duplex printing
This HP OfficeJet offers fabulous features and an efficient, compact design at great value. Its auto wireless-connect feature quickly recognizes your wireless network, so you can link up to it within minutes of taking it out of the box. You get a robust range of connectivity options, including Apple AirPrint and the option to access your iCloud files directly via the HP Smart App.
When you replace your ink cartridges, you can opt for HP’s XL high-yield cartridges that will give you up to 480 pages from a single cartridge, so you get good value when it comes to running costs as well. Even though it’s under 9” tall, you can print, scan, copy, and fax all-in-one. It has a 35-sheet auto document feeder, a 60-sheet input tray, and a flatbed scanner to upload documents. Compare that to the best printers for small businesses that have preset destinations for your digital scan uploads.
#4 HP OfficeJet 6978 Printer for Mac
Award: BEST FOR HOME USE
WHY WE LIKE IT: If you need a do-it-all printer that can keep up with your Mac’s workflow, the HP OfficeJet 6978 is the perfect high-performance multifunction printer that caters to a productive home office.
- Fast production, scan, and copy speeds
- Scan to email, network folders, and iCloud
- Auto duplex print and scan
- USB cable not included
You can count on the HP OfficeJet 6978 to handle all of the heavy workflow tasks from your home-office Mac. Its 500 MHz processor achieves rapid print speeds of up to 30 pages per minute and quick scan and copies response times. A large 225-input paper tray and 35-sheet auto document feeder make high-volume tasks and two-sided prints easy.
Tasks are manageable from its intuitive 2.65” touch screen, but given its strong Wi-Fi technology, all of its functions are easily managed and controlled from your Mac. You can even upload scans wirelessly directly to iCloud or send them to your email. You can also produce high-quality, professional prints for business use, with up to 600 x 1200 dpi color resolution from the four-ink print head. The printer also provides the versatility to produce on a wide range of media, including glossy paper and cardstock. Compare this to the best printer for cardstock that will process custom sizes up to 13 x 19”, and you can print borderless.
#5 Canon Pixma MG3620 Printer for Mac
Award: BEST FOR IPHONES AND IPADS
WHY WE LIKE IT: For those who like to use their Apple devices in conjunction with their Mac, the Canon Pixma MG3620 offers integrated mobile device printing technology that pairs really well with iPhone and iPad. You can connect to Wi-Fi easily in just a few steps.
- Wide range of connectivity options
- Print borderless photos directly from Apple devices
- Hybrid Ink System achieves sharp resolution
- No touch screen
Many Mac users incorporate their Apple devices into their workflow. If that’s you, then the Canon Pixma MG3620 is a fantastic choice for use with Apple devices, given that it’s designed to work seamlessly with mobile devices and tablets. You can use Apple AirPrint to print from your iPhone and iPad. Canon’s PIXMA Cloud Link also enables you to connect to iCloud and print from there.
It’s fitting that this model works so well with Apple devices because it’s impressive how much functionality is packed into its compact 12 x 17.7 x 6” design profile. One of the highlights is the high 4800 x 1200 dpi resolution it achieves from its Hybrid Ink System that produces vibrant color and sharp graphics and text. The printer supports borderless printing on photo paper, which is perfect for printing photos directly from your iPhone and iCloud photo gallery. Also, for the best photos, compare this printer to the best photo printer that can produce shareable keepsake photos on the spot from just about any digital image you can put on your iPhone, Android smartphone, or tablet.
#6 Canon TS9120 Printer for Mac
Award: BEST COLOR QUALITY
WHY WE LIKE IT: Create printouts in full, professional-quality color with the Canon TS9120 that uses a six-color system with advanced print head technology. This level of color quality enables Apple users to really unleash their Mac’s powerful creative features.
- Smart 5.0” LCD touchscreen
- Vivid 4800 x 1200 dpi color output
- Apple AirPrint enabled
- Small paper tray
If you use your Mac for creative, graphic design, or photography, it’s hard to beat the incredible color print quality you can achieve from the Canon TS9120’s six-color individual ink system. A total of 6,656 produces incredible detail and smooth color gradients in up to 4800 x 1200 dpi color resolution. One of the ink cartridges is a photo blue ink cartridge that creates incredible depth and clarity that you can’t otherwise produce.
This pro-quality color technology is ideal for Apple users as it enables you to truly make the most out of your Mac’s creative features, apps, and programs. Connect via dual-band Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth, and print directly from iCloud without any drivers. The scanner also offers fantastic upload options, including wireless scanning, attach to email, auto scan mode, multi-page PDF, and more. And check out the best printer for crafting a model that allows you to draw, emboss, and cut in 3D. Check out the best printer for screen printing as well if you’re looking for the right printer for crafting purposes.
#7 HP OfficeJet Pro 9025 Printer for Mac
Award: BEST FOR BUSINESS USE
WHY WE LIKE IT: Business is all about speed and efficiency. This powerful HP printer meets the challenge with a fast processor, intelligent connection, and workflow features, including easy integration with iCloud. Perfect for small office use.
- Customizable cloud connections
- Robust security features and user management options
- Quick 39 ppm print speed
- Initial setup can take a while
The HP OfficeJet Pro 9025 has a fast 1.2 GHz processor, can handle a large monthly duty cycle of 30,000 pages, and can still achieve professional prints up to 4800 x 1200 optimized dpi resolution. It features two 250-sheet paper capacity trays, including a multipurpose tray, and a 35-sheet automatic document feeder. The document feeder boasts single-pass duplex scanning and copying for maximum efficiency.
This printer integrates seamlessly with Macs and other Apple products, with reliable and fast self-healing Wi-Fi and customizable workflow shortcuts on its smart touch screen. You can scan documents to upload to iCloud or network folders with the push of a button. This model’s speedy processor allows for a quick response time, with your first page out after 9 seconds and up to 39 ppm print speed. Businesses looking to protect their networks will appreciate the unit’s robust security management features, such as authentication protocols, control panel lock, password protection, and more. And if you need to save on usage, check out the best ink efficient printer that has an Ink Save Mode you can switch on to ration your ink use, as well as automatic duplex printing.
#8 HP Tango X Printer for Mac
Award: BEST PORTABLE DESIGN
WHY WE LIKE IT: The HP Tango X takes the idea of a portable printer to the next level, offering advanced on-the-go wireless connection options and a protective cover that encloses the unit when traveling.
- Bluetooth and cellular connectivity
- HP app is well-designed for Apple products
- Compatible with iCloud
- Not ideal for high-volume printing
The HP Tango X proves that size has nothing to do with smarts, as proven by its advanced Smart Tech features like mobile printing, voice-activated control, dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth LE, and AirPrint compatibility. The Tango X also makes smart use of the cloud, enabling users to easily print from iCloud and other cloud platforms. You can also copy and scan via the HP Smart App, which works seamlessly on iOS.
At just 15.31 x 9.69 x 3.58” and 7.5 lbs, this printer is extremely portable and easy to throw in your laptop bag with your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. It can also connect wirelessly via your cellular network if you’re outside with no Wi-Fi connection. A well-designed and slick-looking linen cover protect the unit when you’re on the go. And if you’re on the go, consider the best portable printer.
#9 HP LaserJet M110w Printer for Mac
Award: BEST SMART DESIGN
WHY WE LIKE IT: This lightweight, compact laser printer fits perfectly into any small space while still performing at a high level with a responsive 21 pages per minute print time and sharp text resolution. Its advanced wireless features allow you to easily integrate with your Apple devices and iCloud.
- Modern, attractive design profile
- Single-touch wireless connectivity
- Black and white prints only
The HP LaserJet M110w is a true space-saver with its compact 13.6 x 7.5 x 6.3” dimensions and weighing less than 8.4 lbs. It still offers fabulous wireless print performance, as it responds in as quick as 8.1 seconds when you initiate a print job. Its auto-on/auto-off technology allows hands-free operation, so you can print wirelessly from your Mac without having to turn on the printer first.
Its built-in control panel is intuitive enough to quickly connect to your Mac and Apple devices. From there, the printer offers fantastic control and integration with Mac OS, iCloud, and iOS. Because it uses laser technology, toner cartridges last a much longer time, which is a great compliment to its compact design. As such, it is a top contender as the best laser printer for Mac, especially when space is a commodity. You can stash the printer in a small space and don’t have to worry about maintaining it frequently. And to get unrivaled quality prints, try out the best printer ink.
#10 Canon Selphy CP1300 Printer for Mac
Award: BEST FOR PICTURES
WHY WE LIKE IT: The Canon Selphy is a fabulous photo printer ideal for quickly producing borderless photos from your Mac and Apple devices. The photos are vibrant, dry instantly, and long-lasting.
- Well-designed screen and control panel
- Instant-dry dye-sublimation print technology
- Long-lasting and water-resistant photo prints
- Doesn’t support large formats
If your Mac and iCloud are stocked with photos, this Canon Selphy can bring them to life on borderless prints with vibrant colors. For a compact unit that’s just over 7” wide and 2.5” high, it features a large 2.7” tilt-up screen that is fabulous for previewing photos and doing simple edits before printing. You can print directly from a USB or camera memory card, but Mac users will enjoy reliable wireless connectivity with great Mac OS compatibility.
This unit is particularly good at producing high-quality, borderless 4 x 6” photo prints in as fast as 47 seconds. It also supports postcards, L sizes, card sizes, and square label media. According to Canon, its unique dye-sublimation print technology creates photo prints that dry instantly and are long-lasting for 100 years. Apple AirPrint is also enabled for quick wireless printing from your iPhone and iPad. And for quality printing, it is important to invest in the best printer paper on the market today.
How We Decided
Mac computers and software are designed to recognize and connect to printers easily, especially when it comes to wireless printing. At the outset of our research, we only looked at printers that could connect wirelessly via Wi-Fi. Macs can connect to multiple printers connected to the same network, and it’s easy to manage your printing preferences from there. While most Apple users print wirelessly, we also made sure that printers could connect to macs with a USB cord as well.
Mac users also tend to use other Apple devices, like iPhones and iPad. We made sure that printers had the functionality to connect and print with those devices, too, preferably through Apple AirPrint. That way, you know you can print wirelessly without having to install additional drivers. If a printer has an app you can use to manage the printer and control workflow, we made sure that it was available on iOS and worked well on it. You can also check out our list of the best iPhone photo printer for more compact and portable options that will work great with Apple products.
After ensuring that connectivity was seamless, reliable, and fast, we looked at print quality. Mac users often use their printers for photo printing and high-quality color printing, so the ability to print in color was a must. Further, we looked at printers that could print in high-definition color or very close to it. We looked at the number of ink cartridges used, print head technology, and nozzles per cartridge to judge color print quality, detail, and vibrancy. If you print a lot, you may want to look for a printer with a refillable ink tank, like Epson EcoTank, that is compatible with Mac to help you save on ink costs in the long run. Of course, if you don’t need the ability to do colored prints, you can opt for a monochrome printer.
Best Printers for Mac Buyer’s Guide
When you’re looking for the best inkjet printer for your home or just the best inkjet printer all around, you want to make sure you buy one that will fulfill all your printing needs. And, you need to make sure that your new device is printer-computer compatible with your printer. Otherwise, you’ll be stuck with a home printer that doesn’t do what you need.
Now, let’s get into the most important features you should keep in mind while shopping for a printer.
The Most Important Features to Consider
- Mac Compatibility
The most important feature to consider when searching for the best printer for Mac is, as you can guess, printers compatible with Mac computers. Mac OS is designed to wirelessly recognize the most up-to-date printers without installing any drivers.
- At a minimum, you want to look for printers that can print via Wi-Fi, as this is generally the easiest and quickest way to interface with your Mac.
- If you select a great all in one printer for Mac in 2023 and opt to connect via a wired connection, like USB, you’ll likely need to purchase a separate cord that is compatible with the printer and your Mac’s connection. Most current Macs use USB-C inputs.
- In short, this means that even the best printer for Mac in 2023 may not have the appropriate connections.
- Although, if you buy an inexpensive printer with an SD card slot, then you may be able to use an SD card to print quality images from your Mac instead.
- AirPrint and iCloud
As with most high-end Mac-compatible printers, you’ll want to use the relevant Apple app. For example, if you want to print from iCloud or your other Apple products, like iPhone and iPad, look for great Mac printers that are Apple AirPrint enabled and have the ability to connect with iCloud.
- Apple AirPrint is a feature developed by Apple that allows your Apple devices to instantly recognize a printer and make use of its features. This smart feature can be used with many great home office printers.
- AirPrint and iCloud are exclusive features available only on macOS and iOS so you’ll need iPhone, iPad, or Apple Macs, but Google Cloud Print is compatible with multiple other operating systems. Google Cloud Print can handle print jobs over an internet connection while AirPrint uses WiFi. Thankfully, printer manufacturers have models that are versatile enough to do both.
- It’s the easiest way to print directly from the iPhone and iPad. Some printers offer direct connect options with iCloud or offer a mobile app that acts as an intermediary for the cloud service.
- With a dedicated printer, users can benefit from excellent print quality and have the reliability of being able to print on a daily basis.
- Its exceptional ease of use can make a model a convenient choice for someone wanting a simple user interface so they can perform printing jobs with ease. It can speed up your print productivity whether you use the printer frequently for work or casual everyday printing.
- However, if you’ve outgrown your free iCloud storage, you can always upgrade to a larger size with an Apple subscription. It’s ideal, especially if you’ve purchased a cheap printer. That means on top of your upfront cost being lower thanks to a budget printer, your cost per print will also be less expensive, and you’ll be able to afford more storage.
- What can typically help is a memory card slot, though that option may not always be one of the convenient features available on some wireless printers. You could consider saving photos to Google Drive, but that depends on your usage of Google products.
- This is especially useful if you’re using the printer for work and need to store multiple print cartridges and glossy photo paper.
- Now if you’re apprehensive on having to learn AirPrint and just want to tackle everyday home printing or a variety of tasks with ease without messing with WiFi or Bluetooth connections, these aren’t essential features and you can opt for a wired printer or one that has both wired and wireless connectivity. Some even use Ethernet connectivity if that port for printing is more up your alley. Some Macs have ports for Ethernet connections, and there are also Ethernet adapters available. These wired options can still be an excellent choice if you find they fit your needs better. And if you come across a wired printer you like, make sure its cords are good quality that can pull off the fastest printing speeds, like a high-speed USB connection.
- Therefore, to help you out, we’ve compiled a list of the best printers for Mac 2023 that offer great features and high-quality output in both wired and wireless options.
- Quality and Versatility
Macs are powerful machines with a wide range of functionality. In addition to seamless integration with Mac OS and iOS, make sure that the printer you choose has the features you need to make the most of what you use your Mac for. If your goal is to produce high-quality prints from colorful documents or images, look for excellent printers with great color resolution and multiple ink color cartridges to get that great image quality.
- The best wireless printer for Mac Pro should be able to produce vivid colors on color documents, print quickly and provide a range of connectivity options.
- If you use your Mac for business, prioritize models that offer great workflow features and efficiency. Though it’s tempting to opt for a budget model in a lower price range, investing in a quality office printer with advanced features like fast printing speeds along with professional-quality prints will contribute positively to your business. If you need to print out large amounts of sheets of paper, a fast printing speed will save your business a lot of time. Double-check the plain paper capacity of the printer, because some who want to print large volumes will want a generous paper load tray as well as an automatic feeder.
- If you print on more than plain paper, like a wide variety of paper types like business card or glossy photo paper, a multifunctional Mac printer can be a great investment as well to get you excellent print quality across different paper types. A color touchscreen can also speed up operating the actual printer versus one that uses buttons. If laser printing is more up your alley, take a look at certain models like the best laser printer.
- Some printers can handle more varieties of printing tasks, like printing on different sizes of paper, so if you have unique paper sizes that you need to print things on, make sure your printer is compatible with the maximum paper size that you need to print.
- If you don’t have a lot of space at home, make sure you look for a compact printer with a sleek design. That compact size will help make room for other objects. The best printer for Mac in 2023 should also have a range of features, such as wireless printing and automatic document feeders.
- If you want to save on paying for ink cartridges, make sure you consider one of the best printers with cheap ink or printers that have a tank that is compatible with Macs. On the other hand, if you’re looking for a great printer for a Chromebook or you would like to learn how to print with mobile without WiFi, then have a look at our site for more great reviews and info guides.