If you are new to the world of DIY AC units, you may wonder how to make an air conditioner with a fan. Even the best air conditioners, after all, use fans to circulate air. So why use a fan to make an air conditioning unit and how to go about it? Well here’s how:
STEP 1 Gather Your Tools
- Gather your water bottles, your fan, salt, and anything else you need.
- Fill the water bottles with water and a few tablespoons of salt and place them in the freezer overnight to prepare them for use.
STEP 2 Grab Your Ice
- Retrieve your frozen water bottles from the freezer.
- You can also use empty water bottles filled with ice cubes or, really, even a large glass filled with ice or a bag of ice.
- The important components are some form of ice and a fan.
STEP 3 Place and Start
- Arrange the frozen water bottles or other ice containers directly in front of the fan at a distance of around six inches.
- Power the fan on high.
- Sit or stand in front of the fan and notice the cool, cool blowing on you as the air circulates through the ice.
STEP 4 Repeat as Necessary
- Unfortunately, ice melts after a time, so feel free to refreeze the water bottles and start again.
- You should also have a steady stream of frozen water bottles to keep the process going even when your current ice melts.
- Repeat the entire process for as long as you need air conditioning, aka during those nasty summer months.
- Fans are a great option for a simple DIY homemade air conditioner, as fans excel at circulating air and are often found in portable ACs.
- Start by filling some water bottles with cold water and then allowing them to freeze overnight.
- Place the frozen water bottles in front of the fan at a distance of six inches, powering the fan on.
At the most basic level, fans are air conditioners all on their own, as they blow air around. So it makes sense that one would want to use a fan as part of a more elaborate DIY air conditioner. Plus fans are incredibly efficient if you are learning how to make an air conditioner more efficient.
The basic steps to make an AC with a fan and ice vary according to design, but the process is fairly simple like when learning how to make a portable air conditioner quieter. Some other interesting topics to check out would be how to oil an air conditioner fan motor, how to build a solar-powered A/C, and how to reset an air conditioning unit.
Feel free to also try this with a tray of ice cubes or even a full bag of ice.
STAT: Assuming you have a standard split-system central air conditioner, there are actually two main fans – one inside your home and one outside. (source)
How to make your fans work harder?
If you are using a window air conditioner, place it on its highest setting or place a damp cloth in front of it. You should check and replace the air filter.
Why is my air conditioner fan not working?
It could be any number of issues, or the outdoor temperature could simply be too hot. In some cases, it seems like the issue is with the fan, but it is actually with the water pump.
How to fix a portable AC that’s not cooling?
It depends on the issue. Try to take a look at the copper tubing or perform general maintenance tasks on your portable air conditioner or related device.