To find the best monitor for Mac Mini, we began by identifying the features essential to a great experience, including each monitors’ screen size, display resolution, port connections, and panel technology. Depending on your desk size, you might desire an extra-large monitor or something more compact. You may want to select an option that sports a Full-HD 1080p resolution if you are viewing detailed images and videos, therefore we’ve included some of the best 1080p monitors in this list. No matter what your need, we’ll help you find the perfect monitor to pair with your Mac Mini — or any other computer.
According to our research, the best monitor for Mac Mini is the ASUS Designo MX279HS. This fantastic monitor model from ASUS features a 27-inch display with a Full 1080p HD resolution that provides a crisp image great for watching movies and working with text, similar to the best monitor for watching movies. The MX279HS also sports an IPS LED panel to produce an image that is both bright and vivid, while also staying easily viewable from the sides. Keep reading for more information about the MX279HS, and to find other great monitors.
Top 6 Best Monitors for Mac Mini
#1 ASUS Designo MX279HS Mac Mini Monitor
Award: TOP PICK
WHY WE LIKE IT: ASUS hits it out of the ballpark with this exceptional monitor, featuring a large 27-inch Full 1080p HD display. The monitor even sports a frameless design, which makes it appear to magically melt away gently at the top and side edges.
- Large 27-inch display panel
- Supports Full 1080p video
- Beautiful frameless design
- Doesn’t feature DVI
The best HDR monitor for Mac Mini is the ASUS Designo MX279HS; it sports a large 27-inch display, and the bottom-silver trim nicely matches the Mac Mini’s classic silver styling. The screen reaches a Full 1080p HD resolution, great for watching movies and working on documents with small text — everything comes through exceptionally crisp. ASUS included IPS LED technology, allowing for more vivid colors, even when viewed from an angle. It’s also great for your laptop, making it one of the best monitors for MacBook Pro.
Our favorite part of the ASUS Designo MX279HS is the frameless design, which appears to magically disappear at the top and side edges, creating a very modern appearance and beautiful design. Inputs include dual HDMI ports, a VGA port, and an audio-in jack. Unfortunately, the monitor doesn’t feature DVI, so you’ll need an adapter if that’s the connection option you plan on using. If this isn’t the monitor for you, have a look at the best 144hz gaming monitor instead.
#2 ViewSonic VX2776-4K-MHD Mac Mini Monitor
Award: HONORABLE MENTION
WHY WE LIKE IT: ViewSonic delivers the ultimate experience if you don’t mind paying a bit extra. This superb monitor features a 27-inch 4K Ultra HD panel with HDR10 support for bright and vivid colors — the best choice for graphically intensive work done by a creative professional. It’s a perfect option, much like the Asus TUF gaming VG32VQ 32 curved gaming monitor, which you can read about in our review.
- 4K Ultra HD resolution
- Features HDR10 support
- Ultra-slim bezel profile
- Not ideal for bright spaces
If you want to bring your Mac Mini into the future, then ViewSonic VX2776-4K-MHD is an excellent choice thanks to its 4K Ultra HD display, which provides high-resolution details for videos, photos, and video games. This model from ViewSonic includes support for HDR10, allowing your monitor to display ultra-vibrant colors with an excellent contrast ratio. The ultra-slim bezel and thin side profile help to frame this monitor as a futuristic option that will feel at home on your desk.
Related: If you are a graphic designer, you are probably looking for the best monitor for graphic design.
ViewSonic includes built-in modes for optimizing games, movies, text, and other types of content, much as the top TV monitors for gaming can do. The back of the monitor sports dual HDMI ports, a single DisplayPort, and an audio-out jack. The one thing to note is that the display is extra glossy, which is excellent in darker environments, but it can cause quite a glare issue if you have your computer set by a window with the brightness of sunshine coming into the room. We found the ViewSonic to be the best monitor for Mac Mini photo editing on our list. It is ideal for visual editors, graphic designers, and photographers. This monitor is definitely the best 4k gaming monitor on our list.
#3 Acer R240HY Mac Mini Monitor
Award: BEST FOR EYE CARE
WHY WE LIKE IT: Not only does this monitor offer an excellent Full 1080p HD display with a minimal frame design, but Acer includes its VisionCare technology that helps users who use their computer for extended periods of time from experiencing eye strain.
- Best 24-inch
- Features HDR10 support
- 178-degree viewing angle
- No VESA mount included
Staring at a monitor for hours can easily cause your eyes to ache. When working on your Mac Mini, or any computer, you’ll want to ensure that you focus on eye health. Not only does the Acer R240HY look fantastic, but the included VisionCare technology helps to alter the onscreen image and prevent eye strain. Of course, if you don’t care about the technology, it can be turned off, and the Acer is still an excellent option for your next computer display. It’s also the best monitor for Mac Mini 2014, as well as the latest Mac Mini, thanks to its versatile, wide range of connections. Plus its 1920 x 1080 Full HD resolution and 16:9 aspect ratio make for stunningly high-quality images with brilliant detail.
The back of the Acer also includes dual built-in speakers, great for when you need basic audio feedback, but don’t want to pull out other bulkier speaker options. The R240HY also has Acer’s Wide View Angle feature, allowing your monitor to be viewed up to 178-degrees off-center, while still seeing an accurate color image. It has a quick response time of 4ms, which produces high-quality moving images, so you can enjoy quality movies with this. The one thing not included is a built-in VESA mount, so if you want to mount this monitor to a wall or different stand, you’ll likely need to shop for other choices. If you want that same quality visual experience but perhaps a different screen orientation, there’s the best vertical monitor to consider too.
#4 ViewSonic VA2246MH-LED Mac Mini Monitor
Award: BEST ON A BUDGET
WHY WE LIKE IT: If your wallet is feeling a bit light, ViewSonic still has an excellent monitor option for your Mac Mini. This monitor features a Full 1080p HD image, bright LED backlighting, and HDMI hookups, all while making you feel that you’ve snagged a deal.
- Bright LED backlighting
- Tilt-adjustable monitor stand
- Integrated blue-light filter
- Design feels outdated
If you’re on a budget, you might want to turn your attention to the ViewSonic VA2246MH-LED monitor. Coming in at 22-inches, this affordable option is one of the smaller monitors on our list, but that also makes it perfect for smaller spaces, or if you’re looking to maximize desk space. The adjustable monitor stand is a great form of ergonomic adjustments. The screen does offer a Full 1080p HD image that’s great for getting work done, and the LED backlighting keeps everything well lit. This unit also has a quick response time of 5ms, which allows for crisp pictures, and smooth playback.
Related: Also check the best monitors for video editing.
If you’re worried about comfort while using your Mac Mini, know that the ViewSonic does come with a tiltable monitor stand; the company even includes a built-in mode to reduce blue-light when working — a potential cause for sleeplessness and eye strain. Though we love affordable monitors with a good package of features, the only thing we aren’t loving is the design, which feels a bit outdated with its chunky bezels and white control symbols printed on the front. If the design sways you with this monitor, take a look at the best 240 Hz gaming monitor instead.
#5 LG 34WN80C-B Curved Ultrawide 4K Mac Mini Monitor
Award: BEST ULTRAWIDE
WHY WE LIKE IT: Ultrawide monitors take your productivity and entertainment experiences to a new level, and the LG is no exception thanks to its immersive curved display design and built-in USB-C port supporting Ultra HD 4K video.
- Curved and super wide 21:9 monitor
- Immersive curved display
- Integrated USB-C port
- More expensive than competition
If you’ve never used an ultrawide monitor, the LG 34WN80C-B will open an entirely new world for you; the wide 21:9 ratio width of the display allows you to view more open applications, and maintain a better view of your work environment. Even further, this LG monitor is curved for a more immersive experience and makes activities such as gaming feel as though they are wrapping around you. The 34WN80C-B even offers USB-C connectivity, making this high-end monitor compatible with the latest Macs; it is simply the best 4K monitor for Mac Mini.
The gigantic resolution of the LG 34WN80C-B comes in at 3440×1440, which is quite impressive while also offering up vivid colors with HDR10 support. For video connectivity, the LG also features dual USB ports, a single DisplayPort connector, and a headphone output. While we love the LG, it is a bit excessive, and that comes at an expense and may not be the most reasonable price, but if you can afford that price range, we know you’ll quickly fall in love with this Mac Mini 4K monitor. Check out our guide to the best 1440p 144hz monitor as well if you need a monitor with a high refresh rate to accommodate tasks like fast-paced gaming. If this is a second monitor for you, you might want to also invest in the best dual monitor stand.
#6 Dell P2419H Mac Mini Monitor
Award: BEST FOR BUSINESS
WHY WE LIKE IT: This excellent monitor from Dell offers a crisp Full 1080p HD image and a collection of features that make it great for any office space; it includes an anti-glare coating to fend off the sun from ruining productivity and a 90-degree rotating stand.
- Included anti-glare coating
- 90-degree rotating stand
- Height-adjustable for comfort
- No speaker bar attachment
Dell has been known to produce high-quality monitors in the past for office spaces, and the P2419H is an excellent example of why the company has been succeeding. While the Dell P2419H does indeed feature a high-resolution Full 1080p HD display, it shines even brighter when it comes to what it can do around the office. The anti-glare coating prevents the sun and office lights from making your monitor challenging to use, tackling a problem that could limit productivity.
The Dell P2419H has a few more interesting tricks up its sleeves, though, as the monitor stand itself is not only height-adjustable but can be fully rotated 90-degrees. Working with a monitor in portrait mode, versus standard landscape, can be a great advantage when scrolling through long documents. We do wish Dell would have allowed for a speaker bar on this unit aside from the built-in speaker, though, as it’s a standard feature that has been supported in the past and highly utilized by IT departments. If you’re looking for a monitor with a bit more power, take a look at the best g-sync monitors.
Note: Other monitors for Mac Mini worth taking a look at that are not on this list include the LG UltraFine 4K and 5K display monitors. The UltraFine 4K has a stunning 4096 x 2304 resolution as 219 pixels per inch, and the UltraFine 5K monitor has a 5120 x 2880 resolution, a P3 wide color gamut with 99% color accuracy, and a Thunderbolt 3 port for charging. The Samsung CF391 32-inch curved monitor is another good display (is you have the desk real estate), with an ultra-slim and sleek profile, and AMD FreeSync. This Samsung model has 1800R curvature for a truly immersive viewing experience, and a 5000:1 contrast ratio for a brilliant picture quality, and a 4ms response time which is good for gaming. It is similar to the Dell U3818DW UltraSharp curved monitor, although the UltraSharp is larger at 38 inches.
How We Decided
When researching the best monitors for Mac Mini, we began by taking a look at the features that contribute to a top-grade experience. For each monitor, we examined screen size, display resolution, port connections, and panel technology. Once researched, we established minimum criteria, only allowing the best options to make our list. As a result, you know that no matter which selection you choose, you’ll have a great experience connecting it to your Mac.
When it came down to the screen size, we provided a selection of monitors within what we believe is the optimal range with a minimum size of 22-inches. We chose to allow a monitor that would be compact, but not allow anything that could cause eye strain or be considered difficult to work with at your desk. For the resolution, we ensured all of our monitor selections support at least a Full 1080p HD image so that your content will appear clear and crisp.
Port connections are essential, so we ensured that each monitor included the most common video connector for HD video and audio — HDMI. Additionally, we selected monitors that offered alternative ports, including VGA, DisplayPort, and USB-C — the last being an excellent Mac Mini option. Also, you may be interested in checking out our guide to the best thunderbolt monitor. Lastly, we ensured all monitors featured modern technology such as IPS display, allowing you to view your screen accurately, even from the side. Additionally, if you use your Mac Mini to make FaceTime calls or video conferences, you can check out the best monitor with a webcam instead of having to get a separate webcam.
Best Monitor for Mac Mini Buyer’s Guide
- Screen Size: Selecting the correct screen size will make working on your Mac Mini more comfortable. Generally, if you have the desk space/real estate, going for the largest screen size you can afford (up to about 29-inches) is ideal. Purchasing a screen too small could cause eye strain as time progresses, so we chose not to recommend anything below 22-inches on our list. These lists also include the best monitors for Mac Mini of 2023, so be sure to check them out.
- The affordable prices are tempting if you’re on a tighter budget, but you’re ultimately better off with the larger screen of an ultrawide display, and it doesn’t have to be one of the most expensive monitors. 27-inch screens for example are a wide option but can still be more affordable than large options. Oftentimes internal features can raise the price, so if you want a cheaper option but a bigger size, you might have to sacrifice getting some special features on your monitor.
- If you’re constantly on the go, portable monitors might be the best option to go for, and if you already have a monitor for your Mac Mini and are looking at external displays, make sure the Mac Mini compatibility is still there.
- Resolution: A monitor’s screen resolution denotes how many pixels are on the screen — these pixels make up your display; the more pixels, the sharper your video will generally appear. We recommend selecting something that has a minimum 1080p resolution to deliver excellent image quality; anything lower than that will likely not be worth your time. Content creators may care greatly about resolution so they can work on a professional monitor while getting excellent image quality. Same goes for students who might have to work on several graphic design projects during the semester. Power delivery matters too, as it’s important to find a nice balance with decent resolution, power, and compatibility without breaking the bank.
- Port Connections: Depending on the age of your Mac Mini, it might use different video connectors, but a solid choice is to ensure your monitor has HDMI support. If you have a Mac Mini made after 2018, you can opt to use a USB-C port for your video output. Without the right ports, your cables to your other devices won’t be able to work without an adapter. If you have several cables that are compatible with your monitor except for a single cable, you might want to consider investing in an adapter. For some people, the monitor might be a great option but not a 100% perfect choice. It might be able to support the Mac Mini, your favorite mouse, a few external hard drives, and external speakers, but if it lacks a single cable port that you need, that doesn’t mean it’s no longer a valid option, especially if it fits into your budget and you’re after budget monitors.
- Panel Technology: These are the additional features you should consider. Seek out a monitor with an IPS display, which allows you to view the image displayed, even when not seated directly in front of the monitor. Additionally, if you are a fan of the cinema, a panel with HDR10 support will provide a more vivid image with better contrast. You want to make sure your monitor’s panel type works well with Mac Minis.