If you thought that Audi and BMW were eating Mercedes’ lunch, think again. This is the Mercedes-Benz S-Class Coupe, or more specifically the S550 Coupe.
Initially shown off at the Frankfurt motor show as a concept, the S550 has remained unchanged, at least in terms of the exterior, according to Motor Trend. And while the S550 is no doubt a looker, there is a whole mess of tech and goodies to get the nerd in you excited.
In addition to a a twin-turbo 4.7-liter V-8 that produces 449 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque, there is a glass roof that covers two thirds of the entire roof of the car. With the push of a button it can instantly be “dimmed” to prevent unwanted sunlight. It’s not clear if this is the same tech found in Sonte’s product, but one can only hope.
A stereo camera at the front of the car measures the road ahead and automatically adjust the chassis settings (something called Active Body Control suspension). A new curve tilting feature will allow the S550 Coupe to lean into the corners much like a motorcyclist would, though Merc is quick to say that it won’t improve cornering but rather the sensations associated with traversing a windy road – we’ll see about that.
For those looking for a more subtle approach, there will be a feature allowing drivers to control the engine note through the exhaust system. There will also be a set of displays that seem to span more than half the width of the dash, much like the 4-door sedan version of the S-Class.
The S550 Coupe will see an overall length reduction – the wheelbase will go from 124.6 to 116 inches – compared to that of the S-Class Sedan, which results in an all together shorter vehicle and a lower slung roofline. All said and done the S550 Coupe is sleeker, though it remains the same width wise as its sedan brother.
No word yet on when it will come to market, but likely sometime in 2015.
Note: the S550 will be available as a 4matic (AWD) in the US.
Also why not check out:
- 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Supercharged GT by Kicherer
- 2013 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT
- 2014 Mercedes E63 AMG S 4Matic Sedan Review (video)
- 2015 Mercedes GLA: First Drive, First Coachella
- 2015 Mercedes S550 Sedan Review
- Brabus Boosts Power for the Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG
- First Image of New Mercedes-Benz CLA 45 AMG Leaked
- Glowing LED Mercedes Logo Now Available To Jersey Shore Meat Heads (video)
- Mercedes AMG C63 Review: an $80,000 Shot of Adrenaline (video)
- Mercedes GLA CUV Is Official, Killer Looks and Solid Performance
- Mercedes Intros CLA Class; said to be $30,000
- Mercedes Invents an Invisible Car (video)
- Mercedes Splitview COMAND System: One Screen, Two Images
- Mercedes Unveils Lithium-Ion Hybrid
- Mercedes-Benz 2014 SLS AMG Black Series (video)
- Mercedes-Benz CLA Limited Edition 1
- Mercedes-Benz Ener-G-Force Concept
- Mercedes-Benz F125 Concept: The Future of the S-Class
- Mercedes-Benz GLA Concept SUV Includes Video Projecting Head Lamps
- Watch Kate Upton Wash the All New Mercedes CLA In Slow-Mo (video)