It’s been more than thirty years since Audi introduced the Quattro, and, that being a landmark, they want to celebrate by actually bringing the car back. Specifically, they want to sell the gorgeous concept car they showed off in 2010 to the general public. Yes, a concept car is actually hitting the streets for once, although as you may have guessed, it’ll be a limited edition.
There are two things about this car that make it stand out from Audi’s “standard” Quattro, aside from the fact that it won’t look like it’s stuck in the 1980s. First, there’s the body. Built using Audi’s Space Frame technology, it’s almost entirely aluminum, with carbon fiber used at key points both because of how useful it is, and because it’s impossible to make a high-end car without carbon fiber these days, it’s practically a law.
The overall result is a car that’s almost absurdly light: The Quattro concept came in at under 3,000 pounds, so you could probably run this thing off a lawnmower engine and it’d be pretty zippy. This being Audi, though, the engine is decidedly better than that.
Namely, 650 horsepower, courtesy of a twin-turbo four-liter V8 engine. Audi hasn’t put out any speed statistics that we could find, but the Ford Shelby Mustang has a curb weight of 3501 pounds and can go zero to 60mph in 3.5 seconds, and has a top speed of over 200mph to boot, so performance in or around that range will be very likely and possibly the Quattro will do a lot better.
And how much, precisely, will getting this speed machine run you? $150,000, according to the rumors. Which, yeah, is a lot of money for a car like this, but, hey, automakers have wanted a lot more for a lot worse.
Also why not check out:
- 2012 LA Auto Show: 2014 Audi A7 TDI is a Clean Beauty, In and Out (pics)
- 2013 Audi A5 Review
- 2013 Audi A8L Review
- 2013 Audi RS5 Review: 2-Door White Knuckle Fun
- 2013 Audi S7 Review: an Altered Beast
- 2014 Audi A6 TDI Diesel Review
- 2014 Audi R8 V10 Plus In Pictures
- 2014 Audi RS5 Cabriolet Review: Fun Never Looked and Sounded So Good (video)
- 2014 Audi RS6 Avant Revealed, 0-60 in 3.9 Seconds
- 2014 Audi S6 Review: 6 Reasons It’s Awesome, 2 That’ll Leave You Frustrated (list)
- 2014 Audi SQ5
- 2015 Audi A3 First Drive
- 2015 Audi R8 Spyder Review (plus video review)
- 2016 Audi Q3 Review
- 2016 Audi TTS Review
- 2017 Audi Q7 Review
- 4 Features You’ll Drive Away With In The 2015 Audi RS 7 Dynamic Edition (list)
- 560HP 2014 Audi RS7 Review
- Audi A3 E-tron EV Pilot Program Announced (video)
- Audi Debuts S3 Sedan at New York Auto Show
- Audi R8 e-Tron Electric Supercar Dazzles Batman-Style
- Audi R8 V10 Plus Review: the Intersection of Value and Insane (video)
- Audi RS7 Unveiled in Detroit, No Word on Price or a Launch Date
- Audi To Offer Built-in Router In 2011 A8, Too Bad It’s Antiquated
- Audi Travolution Project Predicts Red Traffic Lights
- Audi Will Produce Q1 Crossover
- Audi Will Showcase Its R8 Competition At 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
- Audi’s A3 Infotainment Processor Can Be Easily Upgraded Once the Current One Gets Slow & Old
- Audi’s Wild Nanuk Quattro Concept
- Jon Olsson’s Carbon Fiber Audi R8 Razor GTR
- Watch Audi’s RS7 Fly Around a Race Track without a Driver (video)
- With Audi’s Traffic Light Assist, You’ll Hit Every Green Light