Does a Laser Printer Use Ink – A Simple Guide to Toner

Lawrence Bonk Profile image

Written By:

Updated November 16, 2022

If you are trying to figure out what kind of printer to buy for your home office or professional setting, you may be wondering exactly how top-tier laser printers work.

KEY TAKEAWAYS:

  • Laser printers use focused beams of light to reproduce texts and images on paper and other materials.
  • These printers use toner cartridges, whereas inkjet printers use ink cartridges.
  • Some of the benefits of using a laser printer with a toner cartridge include speedy print times and improved accuracy.

What is a Laser Printer?

It’s fine if you don’t know what is a laser printer. We aim to answer that now: a laser printer is a device that uses a focused beam of light to reproduce text and images onto paper or related material. Laser printers do not use traditional ink cartridges, such as the type found inside inkjet printers. Laser printers use toner cartridges. To learn more about how laser printers work, check out our article on the laser printing process. You can connect your computer to a high-quality wireless printer if you need to print jobs without being physically connected to your gadgets.

Insider Tip

Laser printers do not use traditional ink cartridges, such as the type found inside inkjet printers. Laser printers use toner cartridges.

Benefits of Toner Cartridges

There are a number of benefits to using a laser printer and going with toner cartridges over ink cartridges.

Long-lasting

One of the main disadvantages of using a printer that requires ink cartridges is the fact that these cartridges do not last that long. Some ink cartridges feature a yield of just 150 pages, which is not a lot if you consistently make copies and print out documents. On the other hand, toner cartridges operate at a much higher efficiency, with an average yield of around 2,500-4,000 pages for standard cartridges and 10,000-12,000 pages for high-capacity cartridges. Additionally, toner cartridges can last up to three or four years in their original packaging before going bad. However, you should check your printer when you notice that it is not printing in color.

Increased Speed

Laser printers are known for being fast, which is in part due to the design of the toner cartridges they use. A laser tends to move extremely quickly, as opposed to an inkjet, which is on the slower side. Using a laser printer with a high-grade toner cartridge should significantly improve efficiency in the workplace. You can read our OKI MC573dn review for a speedy laser printer.

Insider Tip

Using a laser printer with a high-grade toner cartridge should significantly improve efficiency in the workplace.

Better Accuracy and Reliability

Due to how laser printers and toner cartridges are designed, consumers can expect better print accuracy and an overall improved experience. In short, this means that you won’t be wondering how long does laser printer tone last, as it can last a good long while.

Laser printers shoot out beams of unvarying diameter, so each and every document will be printed with exactitude. Additionally, this functionality also prevents the laser from accidentally spilling any of the toners during use, which is one of the reasons that these toner cartridges tend to last a long time before needing to be replaced.

Although, do your own research concerning ink usage by reading our resource guide to a laser printer vs inkjet.

Great for Long Documents

Laser printers are a fantastic choice for printing out long documents, due to their overall speed and accuracy. However, they aren’t the best option for printing out colored documents or reproducing photos, as inkjet printers are generally better for printing myriad colors. Now that you know a little more about laser printers, be sure to check out our list of the top laser printers if you are considering buying one. And, if you want our recommendation, then read our HP LaserJet Pro M148FDW review.

F.A.Q.

How do I dispose of toner cartridges?

The best method to dispose of a spent toner cartridge is to recycle it at a reputable toner cartridge recycling center.


Why is printer ink so expensive?

There are a number of theories as to why ink cartridges are so expensive, with many experts suggesting that they are purposefully marked up to offset the relatively low costs of the printers themselves.


How can you save money on ink or toner?

Many manufacturers offer subscription plans for ink and toner cartridges, which can help you save some money.



STAT: On average, up to 90% of components from old toner cartridges can be salvaged and used in remanufactured cartridges, while the other 10% is broken down for recycling. (source)

Lawrence Bonk Profile image