After researching over 60 top-rated hoverboard models online and negating the unsafe models (the ones that catch fire or aren’t certified), we researched the top 15 reviewed models and got to riding them to find out which one is the top-rated hoverboard for kids ages 5-10 years old. Since safety is the top priority with hoverboards or self-balancing scooters, we only purchased boards that were UL 2272 certified.
We then spent over 30 hours researching and riding each of these hoverboards, even going so far as to employ the help of my kids to get opinions directly from the source. During our research, we measured durability, speed, motor power, charging time, and ease of use. We’re a little worn out from the whole process and from the kids making fun of us, but we have crowned our winner: the TOMOLOO Music Rhythmed Hoverboard. It’s exceptionally safe and easy to ride, and the features (the LED lights and Bluetooth speakers) are a hit with the kids in 2023.
Kids Hoverboard Safety and History
The hoverboard as we know it today was invented in 2013, and the idea really took off around 2016 when many of them flooded onto the market. A massive recall happened soon after, due to batteries overheating and making them catch fire. Hoverboards are completely safe today, however, because these vehicles came back onto the market with UL 2272 Certification.
This means that UL 2272-certified devices have been thoroughly tested and inspected for safety. Now they are safe and more popular than ever, with companies like Razor, Gotrax, Swagtron, Halo, Jetson, Tomoloo, hoverheart hoverboard, and a handful of others dominating the market.
These rides take people to work, school, and everywhere in between. Many prefer them to self-balancing scooters. Sales of hoverboards are forecasted to rise through the year 2021(R). With so many choices, it can be hard to navigate the market. So read on to see which ones we chose as the coolest toys for kids.
So without further ado, our #1 pick is the TOMOLOO Music Hoverboard for Kids. TOMOLOO is a brand known for producing quality hoverboards. They were among the earliest manufacturers of electric hoverboards in China, so they have been around as long as the hoverboard craze itself. Many riders consider them to be the best hoverboard maker on the market. The K1 has a lot of great features, including 3-speed modes, Bluetooth so that it can connect to your smartphone, and a large maximum capacity so big kids and adults can also ride.
The 10 MPH maximum speed (aka speed limit) makes it great for just about anyone, and the 12 miles it gives you per charge is enough for most adventurers. It also gives you a smooth ride with decent power over small inclines.
|Best Hoverboard for Kids and Adults||TOMOLOO Music-Rhythmed Hoverboard ||International Highest Safety Standards|
12 months warranty
1 Lithium ion batteries required
|Best Electric Scooter for Adult Kids Gift||SISIGAD Hoverboard ||Unique LED & bluetooth|
Self-balancing control system
Passed strict electrical test
Meet UL2272 standards
|Best Hoverboard For Kids (older)||SEGWAY miniPRO Smart ||Adjustable and Removeable Steering Bar|
Dual 400W Motor
|Best Off-Road Hoverboard||Gyroor Hoverboard Warrior ||Music Speakers and LED Lights|
Super sturdy & durable
1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)
|World’s Smartest Hoverboard||Razor Hovertrax 2.0 ||Trusted global leader|
UL 2272 certified
Cruising speed of 8+ mph
Cool-blue LED light bar display
Quick-change 36V lithium ion battery
|Best Hoverboard For The Money||MEGAWHEELS Hoverboard ||UL 2272 certified|
Bluetooth Speaker & LED Light
Speed: up to 7.5mph
1 Lithium ion batteries required.
|Best Hover Self-Balance Board||EPIKGO Self Balancing Scooter ||UL2272 Certified|
All-Terrain 8.5” Alloy Wheel
Solid rubber tires
|Best Off-Road Hoverboard With A Speaker||TOMOLOO Hoverboard ||UL2272 Certified|
APP & Bluetooth 4.2 Speaker
All Terrain Tires
1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)
|Best Swagtron Hoverboard||Swagtron Swagboard Vibe ||App-Enabled Bluetooth Hoverboard|
For all riders
1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included
|Best Entry Level One For Kids||SWAGTRON SWAGBOARD T5 ||Optional Learning Mode|
Patented Battery Protection
For all riders
Safe speed for young riders
1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)
#1 TOMOLOO Music-Rhythmed Hoverboard for Kids Hoverboard
Award: Best Hoverboard for Kids and Adults
- You can control everything with your smartphone
- Max capacity of 265 lbs.
- 2-hour charge time
- Small wheels so no off-roading
- Not the fastest
The TOMOLOO Kids Music Hoverboard is our top hoverboard, thanks to a high-quality build and some cool extra features.
The fact that you can control everything with your phone with a Bluetooth app is a big bonus with this model. I’ve had many hoverboards that have apps, but none of them offered so much control. More on the mobile app in a bit. The K1 can handle a maximum load of 265 lbs, so just about anyone can ride, child or adult. It has decent power thanks to dual 350W brushless electric motors giving you a maximum speed of 10 miles per hour. Granted, that’s not super fast, but it’s a decent speed limit that isn’t too slow or too powerful for most kids, but just right. And adults won’t mind at all, especially considering the cool features of this best hoverboard for kids.
First, it’s UL2272 Certified for safety, as are all of our picks, but check out what else it has to offer. This self-balancing hoverboard lets you connect it to your smartphone via Bluetooth to control the lighting and play music. You can also change the color of your board’s LED lighting by choosing from 16 million color combinations. The mobile app includes 3-speed modes and displays your driving stats, settings to control sensitivity can also be configured from the app, plus you can use it to turn your hoverboard on or off. See what I mean about that smartphone integration? Oh yeah! This was a lot of fun. The K1 gives you a range of up to 12 miles, and it can climb slopes as steep as 20 degrees with no problems. The 2-hour charge time means you won’t be waiting long between rides.
Related: If you’re looking for a hoverboard to take off-road, then take a look at the best off-road hoverboard.
The kids we introduced it to really loved how simple and intuitive this ride is. I loved the smartphone controls more than they did. The top speed of 10 MPH is great for everyone. Tomoloo balanced the features just right on this model so that it can be fun for all. That is why it is our #1 pick and is highly recommended. Shenzhen Tomoloo Technology Industrial has made a vehicle that is just right. It’s like a two-wheel dirt bike. Check out the fastest hoverboard list as well.
#2 SISIGAD Hoverboard Self Balancing Scooter
Award: Best Budget Hoverboard
- Has self-balancing technology
- Not waterproof
- Bluetooth speaker quality isn’t great
The SISIGAD is our pick for the best budget hoverboard. Not only is it priced perfectly as an entry-level hoverboard, but instead of having training modes, it has a smart self-balancing feature that makes it easier to ride. This self-balancing feature makes it great for new riders and seasoned riders alike. It takes more practice than a self-balancing scooter, obviously, but it makes it easy nonetheless. It is easy to learn to ride. It has 300-watt dual motors and a top speed of 9 MPH. Many kids don’t need high speeds, especially when they are just starting out on these vehicles. There are color LED lights on the wheels that pulse blue and two LED headlights so you can see where you are going. It has a maximum weight capacity of 260 lbs and a range of about 9 miles per charge, which is fantastic for this price point. This is the hoverboard that you want if you are just starting out. Naturally, it meets the UL 2272 safety standard. All of our picks are certified hoverboards.
It is one of the easiest-to-use hoverboards for newbs since it has a cool self-balancing feature that helps you get on and off. Combine that with a lightweight frame, a great price, fun LED lights, and a built-in Bluetooth speaker, and you have a vehicle that kids want to ride while learning. Just connect your smart device to your hoverboard and use your device as a remote control to switch between songs and other audio. Your best “new rider” experience and one of the best budget hoverboards on the market, which earned it the #2 spot.
#3 SEGWAY miniPRO Hoverboard
Award: Best Hoverboard For Kids (older)
- Adjustable knee-pads
- Powerful motors
- Smartphone app
- Weighs about 28 lbs.
- 4-hour charging time
- Low top speed
The SEGWAY miniPRO is a quality hoverboard that some consider to be a balancing electric scooter due to its design. It’s the best of a self-balancing scooter and the best of a hoverboard in one. It’s great for older kids. This model has some power with 800-watt dual motors and 10-inch pneumatic tires that perform excellently. We were able to ride over different terrains without any problems at all. When it comes to high-quality materials, the durable aircraft-grade magnesium alloy frame is made to last. This model also has automatic headlights and customizable LED taillights. The accompanying smartphone app has a tutorial, safety precautions, an Anti-theft alarm, a speedometer, a lock, and much more. It’s a decent app. The best app feature is the ability to use your phone to control your hoverboard while riding it. The price is steeper on this model, and that’s because of that superior build quality and the fact that it is so feature-heavy. It has a 10 mph top speed and a 12.5-mile range. The 4-hour charge time combined with a low top speed may turn some buyers off, but if your teen doesn’t need to be a speed demon, this hoverboard is near perfect. It weighs about 28 lbs and has a carrying capacity of 220 lbs. If you’re looking for another form of travel, take a look at one of the best segways.
This hoverboard/electric scooter just had to make the list with some great features and power. This is the one that all of the older kids are choosing, and it consistently gets great reviews online. We never did find a terrain that was a problem for it, and that’s a big win for this model. And Segway is one of the huge innovators in the space. (R) Their personal transport was around long before modern hoverboards. Learn where to buy a hoverboard.
#4 Gyroor Warrior
Award: Best Off-Road Hoverboard
- Powerful torque with dual 350-watt motors
- Charges in about 1.5 hours
- Range up to 9.5 miles
- Feels heavy at 33 lbs.
If you are looking for some off-road adventure, the Gyroor Warrior is an ideal choice. I’ve used many off-road models, which is one of the best. The kids loved this one, too, because you can feel the power thanks to dual 350-watt motors. It has a lot of great features like a quick 1.5-hour charge time, a 9.5-mile range, solid construction for off-road durability, large 8.5″ tires with good treads, 30-degree incline climbing capability, and nearly 10 mph top speed. The LED headlights are nice and bright for night rides. This hoverboard has a maximum weight of 265 lbs, and it weighs 33 lbs itself. This model also has a nice rugged style. Those tires are quality rubber, with aluminum rims, so it looks sharp. New riders and old alike can enjoy this one since it has a self-balancing mode that helps you easily get and keep your balance. This Gyroor hoverboard can also handle wet terrain without a problem.
The Gyroor Warrior is the best off-roader out of all that we researched. It has power, a fast charge, and is very capable on tough roads and off-road terrains. You may also want to check out the best scooter for kids.
#5 Swagtron Swagboard T882
Award: Best Entry Level Hoverboard For Kids
- Battery indicators
- Learning mode for new riders
- May be too slow for some
- Not many features
Swagtron is one of the big brand hoverboard names. They sell a ton of different models, and most are kid-friendly hoverboards. On our list of UL 2272-certified hoverboards is the Swagtron Swagboard T882. This model ticks all of the right boxes to make it the perfect entry-level hoverboard. It has a max speed of about 6 mph, a learning mode that restricts speed for safe learning, and a standard mode that lets you get up to full speed. It also has battery indicators so you can see how battery charging is going, a weight limit of 185 lbs, and it weighs just 18.9 lbs.
There’s nothing but the basics here, but with a good build quality and a decent price. This one scored well with the kids we introduced it to, and they found it easy to use. If this is the first hoverboard for your kids, they are in good hands as they learn to ride. That’s why it’s worthy of a spot in our rankings.
#6 Razor Hovertrax 2.0
Award: World’s Smartest Hoverboard
- Extra room for your feet
- Great design
- No Bluetooth
- Not water resistant
The Razor Hovertrax 2.0 is a beautiful-looking hoverboard with a great visual design. The company has plenty of experience, after all, since they consistently make popular hoverboards that kids love. The Razor Hovertrax 2.0 shows off that experience in a form factor that is fun and exciting for kids. They claim that this one is the world’s smartest self-balancing hoverboard and the customer reviews online tend to agree. Balance technology has come a long way. It has two 350 Watt dual motors that deliver a cruising speed of over 8 miles an hour and has a runtime of 60 minutes of continuous use. That run time can be extended with the quick-change 36V lithium-ion battery pack. We wish that every hoverboard had this option since it is an easy way to extend your range. It will hold riders up to 220 lbs. We were surprised at how well it handles small inclines as well. The all-blue LED light bar, LED power indicator, and other lighting effects were a big hit with the kids.
This hoverboard’s design, combined with the self-balancing feature, makes it a worthy ride for the kids, but the swappable battery and the max weight capacity put it over the top, ensuring its spot at #5. It’s versatile and powerful enough for kids to get the most out of it. Parents can rest a little bit easier knowing that it is certified to UL 2272 standards. For more power, check out the best electric scooter.
#7 Megawheels Hoverboard
We’re sorry, this product is temporarily out of stock
Award: Best Hoverboard For The Money
- Stable and smooth ride
- 7.5-mile range
- Low price for the features
- 3-hour charge time
The Megawheels hoverboard is a solid choice for those who want to spend under $200. Considering the average cost of a hoverboard is somewhere between $100 to $500, this is a fair deal. The company is known for its quality and reliability, and this model is no exception. There are a lot of kids riding this one. You get a solidly built, attractively designed best hoverboard for kids with enough features to make your child happy, while you will be happy about the price. The dual 250 Watt motors make the ride smooth and stable for both kids and adults. You also get a Bluetooth speaker, LED Lights, and tires that are 6.5 inches. Those tires are anti-skid tires. The hoverboard will reach speeds of up to 7.5 miles per hour and has a charging time of 2-3 hours. The Quick Learning System allows new riders to master this hoverboard in just 5 minutes. It will also handle 15-degree inclines easily.
For the price, this electric hoverboard gives you many decent features. This hoverboard review was a big hit with the kids. It actually kept them hoverboarding instead of playing video games for a bit. They fell in love with the style, and all agreed that the 3-hour charge time was the only negative. Those on a budget are getting a lot out of this one. It’s the best cheap hoverboard for kids. Another hoverboard with 6.5” wheels is the UNI-SUN Hoverboard for Kids. This hoverboard has a stylish design with colorful flashing wheels and white body color, and it can support up to 264 pounds. Read about the top electric scooter as well.
#8 TOMOLOO V2
Award: Best Off-Road Hoverboard With A Speaker
- Great Performance
- IPx4 waterproof
- None. We love it.
TOMOLOO is a very popular hoverboard brand that gets good user reviews and offers good pricing. The brand rose to the top of the hoverboard market fairly quickly because of this. A TOMOLOO hoverboard is a quality vehicle. If your child likes some off-road fun, the TOMOLOO V2 is the one to buy. It will handle any terrain with two 8.5-inch rubber tires, and it has a robust build that is made to last. It handles inclines up to 20 degrees easily, so off-road areas with steep ups and downs are not an issue. It also boasts a 350 WATT motor and a maximum speed of up to 12 mph. You’ll also get a respectable distance of up to 12 miles per charge. Bluetooth 4.2 stereo speakers let you play music while you are exploring. This model comes with an easy-to-use app that allows you to customize the colors, mode, and brightness of the lights as well as the mode, speed, and sensitivity of the hoverboard itself. Other features are auto shutdown, and you can turn your ride on or off from your phone. We liked the feel of each footpad on this model.
This is an amazing off-road powerhouse. It’s on par with the other off-roaders on our list, but this one gets extra points by having a Bluetooth speaker onboard. Hey, that’s important when you are out on the trail. Never go off-road without your music. If you’re looking for a starter skateboard, take a look at the best skateboard for beginners.
#9 Swagtron Swagboard Outlaw T6
Award: Best Swagtron Hoverboard
- Bluetooth Speaker
- Included app for greater control
- Great Range
- Charging port is a little flimsy
- Not waterproof
As one of the largest hoverboard manufacturers, it should come as no surprise that two Swagtron’s made this list. Swagtron is a serious hoverboard brand. So much so that we are giving the Swagtron Swagboard Outlaw T6 the “best Swagtron hoverboard” pick. The design of the Outlaw is sleek and stylish, with LED lights and a durable casing. It boasts a max speed of 12 miles per hour, a max climbing angle of 30 degrees, and a weight limit of 420 lbs. It does well on just about any terrain without getting stuck. The build quality is exceptional and lightweight for easier transportation. Both kids and adults will love this one.
On the downside, the Outlaw is rated to withstand light splashes but isn’t fully waterproof. Still, in our research, kids favored other hoverboards over this model, but they insisted that it still make the list, and we agree wholeheartedly. This model includes 3 different riding modes as well, so any ride of any skill level can still enjoy. Plus, the extra lightweight design makes carrying it a breeze when not hoverboarding.
#10 EPIKGO Off-Road Hoverboard
Award: Off-Road Hoverboard
- Can handle 18-degree inclines
- Large 8.5-inch tires
- 12.1 MPH max speed
- May be a bit heavy for some kids
You likely know Epikgo because of popular models like the Epikgo Sport. This Epikgo Off-Road Hoverboard is another durable and dependable off-road model that will get your kids out in nature for sure. All of the hoverboards that made our list have UL2272 certification, but this model takes safety features to extreme safety, having endured over 159 testing procedures to make sure it is the safest hoverboard that you can buy. This off-road personal transport has some serious power as well, with 400W dual motors. It can climb slopes as steep as 18 degrees, and it delivers over 1 hour/10miles range on a single charge. That’s impressive for any off-road model. Those tires are solid rubber and perform excellently on any terrain. It is rated IP56 and is water resistant. It handles a variety of road conditions well.
Whether it’s on grass, mud, or sand. This hoverboard is built for speed. The built-in 2-hour fast charging technology(R) means that you’ll spend more time riding it than charging it. This is a solid electrical recreation product for kids aged 13+. If a scooter is more your speed, learn where to buy an electric scooter.
Hoverboard Buyers Guide
Our helpful resource can help you find the right unit when looking for the best kids hoverboard. We’ve compiled detailed reviews, comprehensive buying guides, and helpful tips to help you consider the best options for your child. With that said, below are the top features you should look for in a great kids hoverboard.
Safety First – UL 2272 Fire Safety Certification
- A safe ride should always be your top priority. You may remember the news from several years ago when hoverboards were known to catch on fire. That isn’t the case anymore. Since then, the industry has made hoverboards safe. You can learn more about those hoverboards and why they were dangerous by reading our page on what electric scooters caught on fire.
- Speaking of safety, you’ll find hoverboards that can handle rough terrain just fine. Pair it with protective gear, and your child will be safe while riding their hoverboard.
- After all, when it comes to choosing the best hoverboards for kids, it’s important to look for features such as safety certification, battery life, and speed.
- In short, hoverboards for 5-year-olds and hoverboards for 8-year-olds are safer to use than before. This also includes great 6.5-inch hoverboards and the Swagtron T580 App-Enabled hoverboard with a speaker.
- Always look for UL 2272 Certification on any hoverboard that you buy (all of our top picks have this rating). This means it has passed all safety tests and is safe for any rider to use. Although, while the best hoverboards for 10-year-olds and younger are much safer now, kids can sometimes be silly and hurt themselves, just as they would on a bike or skateboard.
- These are more than simply a ride-on toy. On a hoverboard, your body weight is used to control movement that’s why it’s incredibly important that your child should always wear safety gear, like knee pads, elbow pads, and a helmet. Sometimes they ultimately shift their body weight in the wrong way and take a spill, but these items will ensure that they are okay.
- You should also be aware that different countries have different restrictions. For instance, California officially brought in several laws restricting the speed limit, age, safety rules, and use of bike lanes when maneuvering hoverboards (aka balance boards). With that said, even the safest hoverboard for kids can be a danger when not used properly or without the right safety gear.
- It’s important to remember that a hoverboard is still a motorized vehicle and should be treated accordingly. In addition, the safest hoverboard for kids should always be purchased from a reputable source.
- In short, to find the hoverboard that best suits your family’s needs, it is a good idea to read plenty of our helpful hoverboard reviews.
Tires Are Important
- Your tires are more important than you think. Make sure that you choose the right tire size. Hoverboard wheels come in a variety of sizes. Some are small, others large. Some have better traction and grip. Check out our page on electric scooter tires to learn more about the different types.
- Check out our comparison of the RipStick vs traditional hoverboards and how their tires measure up.
- Wheel size affects the stability of the ride and what kind of surfaces you can ride on. If you commute or just ride on the sidewalk, smaller tires are fine, but for off-road, you want larger wheels with more tread.
- The best hoverboards for an 8-year-old come with 6.5-inch wheel, though you can find some models with 8-inch tires as well.
- Similarly, the best hoverboard for a 6-year-old should be able to hold up to the weight and height of a child this age.
- If you’re planning on choosing a hoverboard (aka balance board) with built-in Bluetooth speakers, make sure you check out the sound quality of the speakers first. It doesn’t matter how stable the Bluetooth connection is. If the sound quality isn’t up to scratch, then built-in speakers aren’t a fun feature and won’t be worth investing in, as your favorite tunes won’t sound good.
Battery Life and Charging Times
- We all want longer battery life, but there’s more to consider. You want to balance long battery life with the speed of the vehicle, performance, and charge time. What you want is a long battery life that also delivers the speed you want and charging times that you can live with.
- Charging times vary from model to model, and you will have to choose one that suits your needs. Don’t buy a machine that will make you wait 5 hours to charge your battery if it is only going to give you 1 hour of riding time and a very small 2-mile range, for instance.
- Opting for a hoverboard with a dedicated mobile application is also a good decision. The mobile application, in some ways, can be the hoverboard’s best feature, allowing you to control the unit, check diagnostics, update firmware, customize the lights, adjust the speed, and turn on the anti-theft alarm.
- Intelligent self-balancing is another popular feature alongside intelligent control. With intelligent control, the system analyzes the user’s stability and weight. This helps the board adjust and ensure a smooth ride.
Choose The Proper Range For Your Situation
- The range that your vehicle delivers on a single charge is very important. You want the best range you can get from your battery, just as you would want the best gas mileage from your car. A great range with short charging times is the best. It’s all about balance here.
Durable and Lightweight Construction
- Like any other vehicle, one of your top concerns when buying a hoverboard should be durability. You want a tough and rugged frame that will last for a long time and stand up to some abuse.
- But you also want it as light as possible for when you have to carry it. That said, you’ll want the finest hoverboard carrying bag to tote your board.
- A durable build means it will have a longer life on the road and possibly a greater sense of balance, while a lighter model means more speed and better battery capacity.
A Powerful Motor
- The more powerful the electric motors, the more powerful your hoverboard is. Naturally, a 400-watt motor is better than a 200-watt motor. It means more speed and better performance overall. The bigger, the better. Especially if you are a large rider. It has to carry your weight and go fast, after all.