After researching over 60 hoverboard models online and negating the unsafe models (the ones that catch fire or aren’t certified), we purchased the top 15 models and got to riding to find out which one is the best for kids. Since safety is the top priority with hoverboards, we only purchased boards that were UL 2272 certified.
We then spent over 30 hours testing and riding each of these hoverboards, even going so far as to employ the help of my kids to get opinions directly from the source. During our tests, we measured durability, speed, motor power, charging time and ease of use. We’re a little worn out from the whole process and from the kids making fun of us, but we have crowned our winner: the TOMOLOO Music Rhythmed Hoverboard. It’s exceptionally safe, easy to ride and the features (the LED lights and Bluetooth speakers) are a hit with the kids.
- 1 Kids Hoverboard Safety and History
- 1.1 Our Winner
- 1.2 #1 TOMOLOO Music-Rhythmed Hoverboard for Kids Hoverboard – Best Hoverboard for Kids and Adults
- 1.3 #2 SISIGAD Hoverboard Self Balancing Scooter – Best Budget Hoverboard
- 1.4 #3 SEGWAY miniPRO Hoverboard – Best Hoverboard For Kids (older)
- 1.5 #4 Gyroor Warrior – Best Off-Road Hoverboard
- 1.6 #5 Razor Hovertrax 2.0 – World’s Smartest Hoverboard
- 1.7 #6 Megawheels Hoverboard – Best Hoverboard For The Money
- 1.8 #7 EPIKGO Off-Road Hoverboard
- 1.9 #8 TOMOLOO V2 – Best Off-Road Hoverboard With A Speaker
- 1.10 #9 Swagtron Swagboard Vibe – Best Swagtron Hoverboard
- 1.11 #10 SwagTron T5 – Best Entry Level Hoverboard For Kids
- 1.12 Hoverboard Buyers Guide
Kids Hoverboard Safety and History
The hoverboard as we know it today was invented in 2013 and the idea really took off around 2016 when many of them flooded onto the market. A massive recall happened soon after, due to batteries overheating and making them catch fire. Hoverboards are completely safe today, however, because these vehicles came back onto the market with UL 2272 Certification.
This means that UL 2272 certified devices have been thoroughly tested and inspected for safety. Now they are safe and more popular than ever, with companies like Razor, Gotrax, Swagtron, Halo, Jetson, Tomoloo, hoverheart hoverboard and a handful of others dominating the market.
These rides are taking people to work, school and everywhere in between. Many prefer them to self-balancing scooters. Sales of hoverboards are forecasted to rise through the year 2021(R). With so many choices, it can be hard to navigate the market. So read on to see which ones we chose as the coolest toys for kids.
So without further ado, our #1 pick is the TOMOLOO Music Hoverboard for Kids. TOMOLOO is a brand known for producing quality hoverboards. They were among the earliest manufacturers of electric hoverboards in China, so they have been around as long as the hoverboard craze itself. Many riders consider them to be the best hoverboard maker on the market. The K1 has a lot of great features, including 3-speed modes, Bluetooth so that it can connect to your smartphone and a large maximum capacity so big kids and adults can also ride.
The 10 MPH maximum speed makes it great for just about anyone and the 12 miles it gives you per charge is enough for most adventurers. It also gives you a smooth ride with decent power over small inclines.
|THE BEST HOVERBOARDS FOR KIDS||OVERVIEW|
|Best Hoverboard for Kids and Adults||TOMOLOO Music-Rhythmed Hoverboard||CHECK PRICE|
|Best Electric Scooter for Adult Kids Gift||SISIGAD Hoverboard||CHECK PRICE|
|Best Hoverboard For Kids (older)||SEGWAY miniPRO Smart||CHECK PRICE|
|Best Off-Road Hoverboard||Gyroor Hoverboard Warrior||CHECK PRICE|
|World’s Smartest Hoverboard||Razor Hovertrax 2.0||CHECK PRICE|
|Best Hoverboard For The Money||MEGAWHEELS Hoverboard||CHECK PRICE|
|Best Hover Self-Balance Board||EPIKGO Self Balancing Scooter||CHECK PRICE|
|Best Off-Road Hoverboard With A Speaker||TOMOLOO Hoverboard||CHECK PRICE|
|Best Swagtron Hoverboard||Swagtron Swagboard Vibe||CHECK PRICE|
|Best Entry Level One For Kids||SWAGTRON SWAGBOARD T5||CHECK PRICE|
#1 TOMOLOO Music-Rhythmed Hoverboard for Kids Hoverboard – Best Hoverboard for Kids and Adults
- You can control everything with your smartphone
- Max capacity of 265 lbs.
- 2 hour charge time
- Small wheels so no off-roading
- Not the fastest
The TOMOLOO Kids Music Hoverboard is our top hoverboard thanks to a high-quality build and some cool extra features.
The fact that you can control everything with your phone with a Bluetooth app is a big bonus with this model. I’ve had many hoverboards that have apps, but none of them that offered so much control. More on the mobile app in a bit. The K1 can handle a maximum load of 265 lbs so just about anyone can ride, child or adult. It has decent power thanks to dual 350W brushless motors giving you a maximum speed of 10 miles per hour. Granted, that’s not super fast, but it’s a decent speed that isn’t too slow or too powerful for most kids, but just right. And adults won’t mind at all, especially considering the cool features of this best hoverboard for kids.
First, it’s UL2272 Certified for safety, as are all of our picks, but check out what else it has to offer. This self-balancing hover board lets you connect it with your smartphone via Bluetooth to control the lighting and play music. You can also change the color of your board’s LED lighting choosing from 16 million color combinations. The app includes 3 speed modes and displays your driving stats, settings to control sensitivity can also be configured from the app, plus you can use it to turn your hoverboard on or off. See what I mean about that smartphone integration? Oh yeah! This was a lot of fun. The K1 gives you a range up to 12 miles and it can climb slopes as steep as 20 degrees with no problems. The 2 hour charge time means you won’t be waiting long between rides.
The kids we introduced it to really loved how simple and intuitive this ride is. I loved the smartphone controls more than they did. The top speed of 10 MPH is great for everyone. Tomoloo balanced the features just right on this model so that it can be fun for all. That is why it is our #1 pick and is highly recommended. Shenzhen Tomoloo Technology Industrial has made a vehicle that is just right. It’s like a two-wheel dirt bike.
#2 SISIGAD Hoverboard Self Balancing Scooter – Best Budget Hoverboard
- Has self-balancing technology
- Not waterproof
- Bluetooth speaker quality isn’t great
The SISIGAD is our pick for the best budget hoverboard. Not only is it priced perfectly an entry-level hoverboard, but instead of having training modes, it has a smart self-balancing feature that makes it easier to ride. This self-balancing feature makes it great for new riders or seasoned riders alike. It takes more practice than a self-balancing scooter obviously, but it makes it easy nonetheless. It is easy to learn to ride. It has 300-watt dual motors and a top speed of 9 MPH. Many kids don’t need high speeds, especially when they are just starting out on these vehicles. There are color LED lights in the wheels that pulse blue and two LED headlights so you can see where you are going. It has a maximum weight capacity of 260 lbs and a range of about 9 miles per charge, which is fantastic for this price point. This is the hoverboard that you want if you are just starting out. Naturally, it meets the UL 2272 safety standard. All of our picks are certified hoverboards.
It is one of the easiest to use hoverboards for newbs since it has a cool self-balancing feature that helps you get on and off. Combine that with a lightweight frame, a great price, fun LED lights and a built-in Bluetooth speaker and you have a vehicle that kids want to ride while learning. Your best “new rider” experience and one of the best budget hoverboards on the market, which earned it the #2 spot.
#3 SEGWAY miniPRO Hoverboard – Best Hoverboard For Kids (older)
- Adjustable knee-pads
- Powerful motors
- Smartphone app
- Weighs about 28 lbs.
- 4 hour charging time
- Low top speed
The SEGWAY miniPRO is a quality hoverboard that some consider to be a balancing electric scooter due to its design. It’s the best of a selfbalancing scooter and the best of a hoverboard in one. It’s great for older kids. This model has some power with 800-watt dual motors and 10-inch pneumatic tires that perform excellently. We were able to ride over different terrains without any problems at all. When it comes to high-quality materials, the durable aircraft-grade magnesium alloy frame is made to last. This model also has automatic headlights and customizable LED taillights. The accompanying smartphone app has a tutorial, safety precautions, Anti-theft alarm, speedometer, lock, and much more. It’s a decent app. The best app feature is the ability to use your phone to control your hoverboard while riding it. The price is steeper on this model and that’s because of that superior build quality and the fact that it is so feature-heavy. It has a 10 mph top speed and 12.5-mile range. The 4 hour charge time combined with a low top speed may turn some buyers off, but if your teen doesn’t need to be a speed demon, this hoverboard is near perfect. It weighs about 28 lbs and has a carrying capacity of 220 lbs.
This hoverboard / electroic scooter just had to make the list with some great features and power. This is the one that all of the older kids are choosing and it consistently gets great reviews online. We never did find a terrain that was a problem for it and that’s a big win for this model. And Segway is one of the huge innovators in the space.(R) Their personal transport was around long before modern hoverboards.
#4 Gyroor Warrior – Best Off-Road Hoverboard
- Powerful torque with dual 350-watt motors
- Charges in about 1.5 hours
- Range up to 9.5 miles
- Feels heavy at 33 lbs.
If you are looking for some off-road adventure the Gyroor Warrior is an ideal choice. I’ve used many off-road models and this is one of the best out there. The kids loved this one too because you can feel the power thanks to dual 350-watt motors. It has a lot of great features like a quick 1.5 hour charge time, 9.5 mile range, solid construction for off-road durability, large 8.5″ tires with good treads, 30-degree incline climbing capability and nearly 10 mph top speed. The LED headlights are nice and bright for night rides. This hoverboard has a maximum weight of 265 lbs and it weighs 33 lbs itself. This model also has a nice rugged style. Those tires are quality rubber, with aluminum rims, so it looks sharp. New riders and old alike can enjoy this one since it has a self-balancing mode that helps you get and keep your balance with ease. This Gyroor hoverboard can also handle wet terrain without problem.
#5 Razor Hovertrax 2.0 – World’s Smartest Hoverboard
- Extra room for your feet
- Great design
- No Bluetooth
- Not water resistant
The Razor Hovertrax 2.0 is a beautiful looking hoverboard with a great visual design. The company has plenty of experience, after all, since they consistently make popular hoverboards that kids love. The Razor Hovertrax 2.0 shows off that experience in a form factor that is fun and exciting for kids. They claim that this one is the world smartest self-balancing hoverboard and the customer reviews online tend to agree. Balance technology has come a long way. It has two 350 Watt dual motors that deliver a cruising speed of over 8 miles an hour and has a runtime of 60 minutes of continuous use. That run time can be extended with the quick-change 36V lithium ion battery pack. We wish that every hoverboard had this option since it is an easy way to extend your range. It will hold riders up to 220 lbs. We were surprised at how well it handles small inclines as well. The all blue LED light bar, LED power indicator and other lighting effects were a big hit with the kids.
This hoverboard’s design combined with the self-balancing feature make it a worthy ride for the kids, but the swappable battery and the max weight capacity put it over the top, ensuring it’s spot at #5. It’s versatile and powerful enough for kids to get the most out of it. Parents can rest a little bit easier knowing that it is certified to UL 2272 standards.
#6 Megawheels Hoverboard – Best Hoverboard For The Money
- Stable and smooth ride
- 7.5-mile range
- Low price for the features
- 3 hour charge time
The Megawheels hoverboard is a solid choice for those who want to spend under $200. The company is known for quality and reliability and this model is no exception. There are a lot of kids riding this one. You get a solidly built, attractively designed best hoverboard for kids with enough features to make your child happy, while you will be happy about the price. The dual 250 Watt motors make the ride smooth and stable for both kids and adults. You also get a Bluetooth speaker, LED Lights, and tires that are 6.5 inches. Those tires are anti-skid tires. The hoverboard will reach speeds of up to 7.5 miles per hour and has a charging time of 2-3 hours. The Quick Learning System allows new riders to master this hoverboard in just 5 minutes. It will also handle 15 degree inclines easily.
For the price, this electric hoverboard gives you many decent features. This hoverboard review was a big hit with the kids. It actually kept them hover boarding instead of playing video games for a bit. They fell in love with the style and all agreed that the 3 hour charge time was really the only negative. Those on a budget are getting a lot out of this one. It’s the best cheap hover board for kids.
#7 EPIKGO Off-Road Hoverboard
- Can handle 18 degree inclines
- Large 8.5 inch tires
- 12.1 MPH max speed
- May be a bit heavy for some kids
You likely know Epikgo because of popular models like the Epikgo Sport. This Epikgo Off-Road Hoverboard is another durable and dependable off-road model that will get your kids out in nature more for sure. All of the hoverboards that made our list have UL2272 certification, but this model takes safety features to the extreme for safety, having endured over 159 testing procedures to make sure it is the safest hoverboard that you can buy. This off-road personal transport has some serious power as well, with 400W dual motors. It can climb slopes as steep as 18 degrees and it delivers over 1 hour/10miles range on a single charge. That’s impressive for any off-road model. Those tires are solid rubber and perform excellently on any terrain. It is rated IP56 and is water resistant. It handles a variety of road conditions well.
Whether it’s on grass, mud, or sand. This hoverboard is built for speed. The built-in 2-hour fast charging technology(R) means that you’ll spend more time riding it then charging it. This is a solid electrical recreation product for kids aged 13+.
#8 TOMOLOO V2 – Best Off-Road Hoverboard With A Speaker
- Great Performance
- IPx4 waterproof
- None. We love it.
TOMOLOO is a very popular hoverboard brand that gets good user reviews and offers good pricing. The brand rose to the top of the hoverboard market fairly quickly because if this. A TOMOLOO hoverboard is a quality vehicle. If your child likes some off-road fun, the TOMOLOO V2 is the one to buy. It will handle any terrain with two 8.5 inch rubber tires and it has a robust build that is made to last. It handles inclines up to 20 degrees easily so off-road areas with steep ups and downs are not an issue. It also boasts a 350 WATT motor and a maximum speed of up to 12 mph. You’ll also get a respectable distance of up to 12 miles per charge. Bluetooth 4.2 stereo speakers let you play music while you are exploring. This model comes with an easy to use app that allows you to customize the colors, mode, and brightness of the lights as well as the mode, speed, and sensitivity of the hoverboard itself. Other features are auto shutdown and you can turn your ride on or off from your phone. We liked the feel of each foot pad on this model.
This is an amazing off-road powerhouse. It’s on par with the other off-roaders on our list, but this one gets extra points by having a Bluetooth speaker onboard. Hey, that’s important when you are out on the trail. Never go off-road without your music.
#9 Swagtron Swagboard Vibe – Best Swagtron Hoverboard
- Bluetooth Speaker
- Included app for greater control
- Great Range
- Charging port is a little flimsy
- Not waterproof
As one of the largest hoverboard manufacturer’s, it should come as no surprise that 2 Swagtron’s made this list. Swagtron are a serious hoverboard brand. So much so that we are giving the Swagtron Swagboard Vibe the “best Swagtron hoverboard” pick. The design of the Vibe is sleek and stylish, with LED lights and a durable casing. It boasts a max speed of 7.5 miles per hour, a max climbing angle of 30 degrees and a weight limit of 220 lbs. It does well on just about any terrain without getting stuck. The build quality is exceptional and lightweight for easier transportation. Both kids and adults will love this one.
#10 SwagTron T5 – Best Entry Level Hoverboard For Kids
- Battery indicators
- Learning mode for new riders
- May be too slow for some
- Not many features
Swagtron is one of the big brand hoverboard names. They sell a ton of different models and most are kid-friendly hoverboards. They offer the Swagtron t1, Swagtron t580, the Swagtron t6, and the Swagtron t3 to name a few. So next on our list of UL 2272 certified hoverboards is the SwagTron T5 is no exception. This model ticks all of the right boxes to make it the perfect entry level hoverboard. It has a max speed of about 7 mph, a learning mode that restricts speed for safe learning and a standard mode that lets you get up to full speed. It also has battery indicators so you can see how battery charging is going, a weight limit of 187.4 lbs and it weighs just 18.9 lbs.
There’s nothing but the basics here, but with good build quality and at a decent price. It is similar to the Swagtron T1 hoverboard. This one scored well with the kids we introduced it to and they found it easy to use. If this is the first hoverboard for your kids, they are in good hands as they learn to ride. That’s why it’s worthy of a spot in our rankings.
Hoverboard Buyers Guide
Below are the top features you should look for in a hoverboard.
Safety First – UL 2272 Fire Safety Certification
- Safety should always be your top priority. You may remember the news from several years ago when hoverboards were known to catch on fire. That isn’t the case anymore. Since then the industry has made hoverboards safe. Always look for UL 2272 Certification on any hoverboard that you buy (all of our top picks have this rating). This means it has passed all safety tests and is safe for any rider to use.
- These are more than a simple rideon toy. Your child should always wear safety gear, like knee pads, elbow pads, and a helmet. There will be time when they take a spill, but these items will make sure that they are okay.
Tires Are Important
- Your tires are more important than you think. Make sure that you choose the right tire size. Hoverboard wheels come in a variety of sizes. Some are small, others large. Some have better traction and grip. Tire size affects not only the stability of the ride but also what kind of terrain you can ride on. If you commuting or just riding on the sidewalk, smaller tires are fine, but for off-road you want larger tires with more tread.
Battery Life and Charging Times
- We all want longer battery life, but there’s more to consider. You want to balance long battery life with the speed of the vehicle, performance and charge time. What you want is a long battery life that also delivers the speed that you want as well as charging times that you can live with.
- Charging times vary from model to model and you will have to choose one that suits your needs. Don’t buy a machine that will make you wait 5 hours to charge your battery if it is only going to give you 1 hour of riding time and a very small 2-mile range, for instance.
Choose The Proper Range For Your Situation
- The range that your vehicle delivers on a single charge is very important. You want the best range you can get from your battery, just as you would want the best gas mileage from your car. A great range with short charging times is the best. It’s all about balance here.
Durable and Lightweight Construction
- Like any other vehicle, one of your top concerns when buying a hoverboard should be durability. You want a tough and rugged frame that will last for a long time and stand up to some abuse. But you also want it as light as possible for when you have to carry it. A durable build means that it will have a longer lifetime on the road, while a lighter model means more speed and better battery capacity.
A Powerful Motor
- The more powerful the motors, the more powerful your hoverboard is. Naturally, a 400 watt motor is better than a 200-watt motor. It means more speed and better performance overall. The bigger the better. Especially if you are a large rider. It has to carry your weight and go fast after all.
Also why not check out:
- Back To The Future II Hoverboard Comes To Life (video)
- Epikgo All Terrain Hoverboard Review
- Feel As If You’re Flying With Onewheel, The Self-Balancing Electric Skateboard
- Flyboard Air Has an Entertaining Hoverboard Video…and Wild Claims
- Flying Hoverboard Lets You Shred The Waves (video)
- Gotrax Hoverfly ION LED Hoverboard Review
- Halo Rover Hoverboard Review
- Hoverboard vs Segway – Learn the Key Differences
- Hoverfly XL Hoverboard Review: An Off-Road Hoverboard Well Worth the Price
- How Much Is A Hoverboard: What You Get For Your Money
- How To Make A Hoverboard That Actually Works
- How To Ride A Hoverboard: Step-by-Step Guide to Expert Riding
- McFly High Tops and ZBoard Classic Hoverboard Edition Bundle
- New Hoverboard Record Set: Over 900 Feet Traveled
- New Jetson Hoverboards At Target
- Official Lamborghini Hoverboard Review
- One Step Closer to Hoverboards – Scientists use Ultrasound to Levitate Small Objects (video)
- Razor Hovertrax 2.0 Hoverboard Review
- Segway Mini Pro Review
- Skque Self Balancing Scooter Review
- Swagtron T1 Self Balancing Scooter Review
- What is the Fastest Hoverboard of 2019?
- Where Can You Get A Hoverboard? We Have The Answer
- Where to Buy a Hoverboard: Best Places To Buy a Self Balancing Scooter
- Where To Buy Hoverboard Segway
- Which is the Best Self-Balancing Scooter in 2020? Top 10 Best Hoverboard Brands Rated
- Who invented the hoverboard?