Although Macs weren’t typically thought of as being great gaming computers in the past, Apple has made considerable improvements over the past couple of years. In addition to the iMac desktop, MacBooks and even the MacBook Air can serve as nice gaming computers. There are thousands of awesome games to choose from and new ones constantly coming out, so you’ll never get bored. Whether you’re looking for first person shooters, racing, action or strategy games, you can find them. The best part is that you can download free games for Mac fairly easily, and it only requires a few steps.
1. Find Free Mac Games
There are plenty of places online to get free games to download. You just have to know where to look. Here are just a few places to check out:
- Mac Games on CNET – Over 3,000 games for Mac, with the majority of them being free. Includes editor’s rating, user rating and total downloads.
- The Ultimate List of 50 Free Mac Games – AppStorm’s compilation of free games for Mac. It’s fairly extensive with a nice variety.
- Free Games from Softonic – This is an online download portal with over 1,000 games specifically for Mac. Includes a 1 – 10 Softonic rating, user rating and total number of downloads.
- SourceForge Mac Games Software – Access to nearly 70 games for Mac. Includes rating of game ease, features, design and support to streamline your search.
2. Save File
Once you find a game you want, you begin the download process by first saving the file. Just click on the “Download” icon and then click on “Save File.”
3. Locate the File
From there, you will need to locate the file you just downloaded. This will typically be a disk image file that ends with the extension “.dmg.” You can find this by browsing through your recent downloads or search for it under “All Files.”
4. Install the Game
After you’ve found the file, double click on it. Follow the steps in the dialog box to install the game. The exact actions will differ slightly depending upon which site you got the game from, but you should be provided with steps that are straightforward and fairly easy to follow.
5. Launch and Play the Game
Once you’ve finished the installation process, you can find the game via an icon in your Applications folder. At this point, just click on it to launch. Then you’re ready to go and can begin playing the game.
With a little searching, you can find an arsenal of free games for Mac. After going through the simple installation process, you can have everything up and running in a matter of minutes. Once you get the hang of it, it’s incredibly easy, and you’ll have a plethora of games at your disposal. One thing to keep in mind is to only download from trusted sources to eliminate the threat of viruses or other complications. If you’re unfamiliar with a particular site, you may want to do some research and check out reviews before you begin downloading.
Also why not check out:
- Best iPad Games 2018 to 2019
- Infinity Blade III Review
- iPad Pinball Machine Brings the Nostalgia, But Not the Size or Cost
- Mass Effect 3 for the iPad
- Monopoly Here & Now: The World Edition iPad Review
- Risk HD For The iPad Review
- World of Goo iPad Review
- Zombie Burbz AppGear Review (iPad and Android Tablets) (video)