Virtual reality is enjoying another round of popularity at the moment, largely thanks to the relative success of the Oculus Rift. But even the Oculus, which is VR on a budget, isn’t as cheap as VR can theoretically get. For that, you need the Vortex.
VR With An LG
Essentially, the entire headset is powered by the LG G3, which is a powerful phone, and makes this less a “true” virtual reality headset, if you want to have that conversation, and more along the lines of a Google Glass or a similar tool. Still, it’s packing a lot of firepower, not least a Quad HD screen, boasting the highest resolution of any VR headset out there, including the Rift. And then there’s the price.
Admittedly, there’s reason to be skeptical; Android isn’t exactly a robust virtual reality platform, to say the least. And tying it to a specific cellphone is perhaps a questionable strategy. On the other hand, using 3D printing and other tactics, they’ve driven the cost of the headsets down to a ridiculous degree; a Vortex will only cost you about $100.
Of course, cost is only part of the equation: You also have to factor in games, and whether VR is even right for you in the first place.
The simple fact of the matter is that yes, there’s a lot of hype surrounding virtual reality… but so what? VR is popular in a hobbyist market, but it’s hard to see it breaking through into the consumer market, which this headset is clearly priced to attempt. On the other hand, it makes more sense for LG to at least make an effort to get on top of a potential market, even if it’s only a niche, than it does to let it pass you by. And besides, if nothing else, it’ll make a neat accessory for when you go phone shopping.
Also why not check out:
- 5 “Likely” Reasons Facebook Purchased Oculus VR (list)
- 5 Things To Know About Project Morpheus, Sony’s PlayStation VR Headset (List)
- 6 of the Coolest Tech For Gamers in 2013 (list)
- Apple VR Plans: Hype or Protoype?
- Canon MREAL Mixed Reality Headset
- CirculaFloor: A Moving Floor For Virtual Reality (video)
- Fans Bring Sonic The Hedgehog To The Oculus Rift (Video)
- GTA 5 Ain’t Got Nothing on this Virtual Reality Experience that Combines 3D Scans and Oculus Rift
- HTC Vive VR Headset Review
- ILM Creates Virtual Reality Star Wars and Jurassic Park Worlds
- LA Galaxy Launch Their Own VR App
- Lytro Immerge Camera Designed to Film Instant VR Experiences
- Magic Leap Releases Video Showing VR Gameplay Using Physical Objects
- Microsoft’s HoloLens Delivers Real-World Holographic Computing
- New Alienware 13 Comes with VR Specs – And Means Business
- Oculus Rift Partners with Microsoft, Announces New Games and Controllers
- Oculus Rift VR Crystal Cove Prototype Hands On
- Oculus Rift VR Simulator Great For Adult Games
- Ozo Is Nokia’s Bid To Create A VR Camera
- PVR IRIS Is The World’s First VR Headset For Porn
- Samsung Adds Milk VR Streaming to Gear
- Samsung Gear VR Goes On Preorder For $99
- Valve and HTC Announce Vive VR Headset
- View-Master Headset Gets Kids Started with Cheap, Fun VR
- Vuze XR Dual VR Camera Review
- Which is More Durable: Oculus Rift vs. Samsung Gear VR vs. Virtual Boy (video)