As long as there have been locks, there have been people trying to pick them. Really, it’s not a big surprise: A lock is a logic puzzle, essentially, and there’s just a certain type of person that can’t resist one. That said, though, it’s hard to see how the Soft Key could ever be picked.
Chain Of Custody
Most locks are relatively straightforward. There’s a keyway, and inside are some tumblers, set to split when they align at a certain point. If you align the tumblers, whether through inserting a key or using a pick to lift them properly, you can turn the cylinder the lock is contained in, and open the door. If you’re a more visual person, here’s somebody doing just that, in less than thirty seconds.
So, how does the Soft Key thwart this? By changing how keys work.
Key On A String
Essentially, you align the key with the key way and “inject” the key, which is actually a chain, into the lock. This allows the key way to wind around in the lock, making it impossible for conventional picks to get in and lift the tumblers, and essentially makes your stuff unpickable. So why aren’t these standard?
It’s a complete mystery, honestly. We weren’t able to find anything from the lockmaker, HYT, and it appears that any retail versions of this lock are completely out of stock. But it’s still a fascinating idea, and we hope it resurfaces.
Also why not check out:
- 5 Smart Locks That Are Sure to “Secure” Holiday Shopping (list)
- 8 Kwikset Kevo Bluetooth Smart Lock First Impressions (list)
- Add-A-Lock: Extra Security In Your Pocket
- AI.one Fingerprint Smart Lock
- Apple Watch Now Works with August Smart Lock
- Art Lebedev Chain Lock Mocks Any Assailant Or Fire
- August Door Lock Review
- August: a Smartphone Deadbolt that Installs in Minutes, Tracks Who Enters, and Looks Damn Good While Doing It (video)
- Auto Locking Computer Proximity Sensor
- Covert Magnetic Lock
- Deafen Common Thieves With The Siren Padlock Alarm
- DoorBot: The iPhone Smart Doorbell
- Elgato Smart Key Review
- Gate Camera Smart Lock Is Packed With Security Features
- Gate Smart Lock Review
- Haven Brings More Security To Your Door Locks
- Here’s How To Crack A Combination Lock Quickly
- Keep Your Snail Mail Safe With the Mr. Postman WiFi Connected Mailbox, Yes The One at the End of Your Driveway
- Key.Me Stores Your House Keys On Your iPhone
- KeyWe Is A Smart Lock For Your Home
- Kwikset Kevo iPhone Dead Bolt Lets You Unlock Your Door with Touch
- Kwikset Kevo Plus Review: Unlock Your Door From Anywhere
- Kwikset Kevo Smartlock Review
- LockedUSB Lets You Charge With Confidence
- Lockitron Bolt is the Suave Smart Lock Homeowners Need
- Lockitron iPhone Keyless Entry Works with Your Home’s Preexisting Deadbolt (video)
- Master Lock Bluetooth Smart Padlock For Sale
- Masterlock dialSpeed 1500EDBX Padlock Review
- Masterlock dialSpeed: a Digital Padlock with LED Lighting (video)
- Never Lose Your Keys Again With The Swisskey