For a long, long, looooooong time, Apple’s professional user base has been waiting for any sort of update to the Mac Pro. For a while, they were Apple’s bread and butter, but then Apple started selling iPads and iPhones by the crate. No more. The Mac Pro is out today… and a fully loaded one will cost ya.
The Ultimate In Looking-Like-An-Ashtray Technology
First of all, yes, we know the case was designed to evoke a jet turbine. It still looks like you fill the top with sand and stub butts out in it. But, even at its lowest specs, it’s still a monster; a 3.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor, 12GB of memory, and 256GB PCIe-based flash storage, which… actually seems like a design misstep, although we suppose this thing is going to be hooked up to a RAID anyway. But that will run you “only” $3,000. What about the full boat?
Cutting-Edge Technology, Used Car Prices
Well, let’s see here… 2.7GHz 12-core processor with 30MB of L3 cache… 64GB of RAM… Two AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of VRAM apiece… two monitors, a Thunderbolt display and a Sharp 27″ monitor. Yeah, that should run you about… $14,000! Just for contrast, here, there are cars you can buy, new, for that kind of money. So, yeah, you may want to consider an iMac if you’re looking for a desktop to play games and browse your email on.
Pro Grade Gear
That said, this was really designed for the industrial uses people put Macs to; high-grade photography editing, film editing and effects processing, CAD work, and other industrial workflows. For that level of consumer, $14,000 (a fair chunk of which are the monitors, let’s be honest) is pretty cheap for what you get. Nonetheless, don’t expect to see too many of these tucked under desks at work.
Also why not check out:
- 10 of the Best Mac Apps
- 10 Things that Make Apple’s New Mac Pro Unlike Any Other Computer
- Adorable Mini Mac Brings You Back To The ’80s
- Apple announces new iMac
- Apple releases Power Mac G5 Quad and updates to lineup
- Apple Retina iMac Announced, Includes a 5K Display and a Hybrid Hard Drive for $2,500
- Apple Site Now Refreshed With New iMacs
- Apple Updated Its iMacs Today With Zero Fanfare
- Apple’s 12-Core Mac Pro Now Shipping
- Colorware Now Painting The Mac Mini
- Discount Mac By Christmas: Free Next Day Delivery at B&H
- First Look at Apple’s New iMac G5
- Gadget Concept: Mac vs. PC Chess Set
- Gadget Leak: New 17 Inch iMac for $899?
- Gadget Rumor: New Mac Mini, iMac Launching Tuesday?
- How Much Does It Cost To Build Your Own Mac Pro?
- How to Prevent a Digital Death By Setting Up Automatic Backups On Your Mac
- How to Speed Up Your Mac: 5 Insanely Simple Tricks to Give Your Sluggish Computer a Speed Boost
- iMac Refresh Arriving Tomorrow, May 3rd
- iMac Refresh Rumor Surfaces, To Include Sandy Bridge And Thunderbolt
- iMacs Refresh Now Official, Internal Updates Only, Includes Quad-core Processor & Thunderbolt
- LOST’s Swan Station Vintage Apple II Up For Auction
- Mac Mini In a 1980s Mac
- Mac Mini Killer
- Mac Mini Laptop
- Mac Pro Gets Upgraded To 12 Cores
- Mac Pro Refresh, Cinema Display & Magic Trackpad To Debut Tomorrow?
- New 2012 Apple iMacs Measure Just 5mm Thin, Quad-core and More
- Preview Of Apple’s New OS: Snow Leopard (video)
- Rare Apple iMac Price Cut in Best Buy’s Green Monday Sale (Update!)