Who would have thought a 23-year-old could build an electric sports car with enough power to rival that of a Bugatti Veyron? Turns out Croatian designer Mate Rimac has built exactly this with his Concept One electric sports car.
The 23-year-old entrepreneur and automotive designer has caused quite a stir at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show. The Concept One is the first car from Rimac Automobili, which before now was virtually unknown. According to their site, “Rimac factory is a place where magic happens since 2009. When you love what you do, you don’t work, you play and thus create art.” (A bit choppy, but direct from their site.)
Apparently, Rimac states that their electric will push out 1,088 hp with 2,802 lb.-ft. of torque and can go more than 186 mph, which are pretty remarkable feats for a car that is powered by an internal combustion, let alone an electric propulsion system. While these numbers haven’t been tested out in the open, Rimac did mention that the car’s numbers were tested on a closed course with a prototype. Nothing concrete, but still promising. Four electric motors are supposed to propel the supercar from 0 to 62 mph in only 2.8 seconds. The front and rear systems of the motors are separate units, with each of them including two high-speed, liquid-cooled permanent magnet electric motors, wo liquid-cooled inverter units and two reduction gearboxes, integrated into one small unit.
With that said, the Concept One’s charge range is said to be 366 miles from a 92 kWH battery, which beats the 300-mile range that Tesla says its Model S sedan will be able to achieve.Design wise, the Concept One features a carbon-fiber body that sits on top of an aluminum frame, with a total weight that is allegedly 3,630 pounds.
Rimac actually used a BMW E30 that was converted to run on some of the same electric propulsion technologies in the Concept One to compete in the 800-kilometer “e-miglia” race in the Italian Alps, which is a race for electric cars. Rimac plans to build 88 units in the first run, with price a smidge below that of the competition from Pagani, Koenigsegg and Bugatti. No word yet on when these units will be produced though. While many would like to see all these impressive numbers in action, they’ll just have to be satisfied with all the hype.
Also why not check out:
- Angel Car: Mobile EV Charger
- Boxx Electric Moped
- BRABUS Creates 4WD Full Electric E-Class Prototype
- British Millionaire Makes Electric Supercar From Lotus Exige
- Chevy Bolt EV Review
- Detroit Electric’s SP:01 Will Be The Fastest-Ever Production Electric Car
- Electric Car Travels 624 Miles On A Single Charge, New World Record
- GM’s EN-V Network Connected Electric Vehicle Is Dripping In Future Tech, But Can It Succeed At Saving The Earth Let Alone Drivers
- Mitsubishi i-MiEV Electric Car Review
- Outrun Video Game Electric Car (video)
- Pininfarina and Bolloré Unveil All Electric Car With Supercapacitors
- Renaul DeZir Electric Car Conceptually Rocks
- Smart Forvision Concept
- Tata Megapixel Concept Range Extended Electric Vehicle (REEV) Full of Innovative Features
- Zap Alias: An Electric Car For Under Thirty Grand