Tesla believes they can fully charge one of their cars in just 5-minutes.
Tesla’s Supercharging stations can charge the company’s Model S to 50% in just 20 minutes time. Filling a gas tank to the same “capacity” takes just minutes. However, Tesla now believes they’ve got the tech, resources and infrastructure to fully charge one of their cars in just 5-minutes time.
Tesla hasn’t officially unveiled their plans on how or when they plan to accomplish this charging feat. Nevertheless, JB’s Straubel, Tesla’s head of technology, says “It’s not going to happen in a year from now. It’s going to be hard. But I think we can get down to five to 10 minutes”.
If you recall, the auto maker recently unveiled their plans to build battery swapping stations throughout the country. Make no mistake, this is not the same tech. Currently, Tesla’s Supercharging stations can deliver 120 kilowatts of electricity. That’s an unparalleled amount of juice, at least relatively speaking to any other auto maker or charging station on the market today.
But it’s not just the Supercharger stations that are remarkable. It’s the battery technology inside of the cars that makes it possible. While other EVs convert AC power to DC in the car, Tesla’s converts the electricity outside of the vehicle and in turn speeds up the process. Moreover, Tesla cars are able to communicate closely with the charging station, allowing juice to be sent to the car’s battery pack without damaging it. Lastly, Tesla says they’re capable of building a Supercharging station that can harness natural resources, such as a wind and solar, and store them on hand such to avoid sudden spikes in electricity demand during peak hours.
Also why not check out:
- Tesla Adding Auto-Steering “Driverless” Tech to Model S
- Tesla Command Lets Your Control Your Tesla From Your Wrist (video)
- Tesla Improves On Model S With New “D”
- Tesla May Allow Android Apps Onto Its Center Console
- Tesla Model S Goes Up In Flames For The Third Time
- Tesla Model S Makes Its Debut
- Tesla Model X Plug-in Electric Crossover Revealed
- Tesla Motors Will Release New Sport Utility Electric Vehicle In December
- Tesla P85D: Watch People React to Insane Mode with NSFW Comments
- Tesla Retail Store Hands On, Tesla S in the Flesh (pics)
- Tesla Rolls Out The Model S 70D, With All Wheel Drive
- Tesla S Sedan Test Drive Gets The Video Treatment (video)
- Tesla S Sport Model Does 0-60 in 4.5 Seconds (video)
- Tesla Tripling Its Supercharger Stations
- Tesla Updates Roadster To 2.5
- The Tesla Home Battery Changes the Way We Store Energy
- Video of the Day: How To Make A Tesla (video)
- Why Tesla’s Stock Price Was Dinged By A YouTube Video (update: video added)
- Zappos CEO Buys 100 Tesla Model S Cars For Transportation Initiative