The name Sony isn’t exactly associated with top-tier smartphones that everyone wants, but with the Xperia Z5 Premium, the company is taking one of the things that it does best and applying it to phones: A 4K display. How does this work, exactly?
Can you really fit 4K-levels of pixels on a smartphone screen, or is this just some well-placed marketing hype? According to Samsung it’s the real deal, with the 5.5-inch screen holding 3,840 x 2,160 pixels. That’s a lot of pixels, and yes the phone will upscale images to 4K levels where possible. As you might expect, it can also take 4K videos, film stills, and so on, with some fancy camera sensors and stabilization features for more professional photos. The phone also has some welcome features like unlocked Wi-Fi connections to 4K TVs so that you can put up images and video for others to view.
If it sounds like a gas-guzzler to you, Sony has that angle covered too: Song claims that its Xperia Z5 Premium battery can last for up to two days of battery life, a noteworthy feat that nevertheless requires going into energy saving modes when possible.
Onto the other, more generic specs: The phone has a Qualcomm Snapdragon Octa-core processor, is waterproof and dust resistant, and runs Android Lollipop on the inside. Nothing too amazingly special – the draw here is definitely the 4K screen.
Please note while there are several Xperia Z5 model, only the Premium version comes with this special 4K screen. There’s no word on price over in the United States yet, so we have to ask: What did it cost Sony to cram 4K into a smartphone screen, and will we be footing the bill? If overseas pricing is any indicator, it’ll probably be around $1,000 for one of these beauties.
Also why not check out:
- 10 of the Cheapest Smartphones
- 5 of the Best Aftermarket Smartphone Insurance Plans
- AT&T Brings Back Unlimited Data Plan: What to Know
- Best SIM Cards for USA
- Best Smartphone Cameras
- Best Unlocked Phone
- Best Unlocked Smartphone 2019
- Best Verizon Smartphones
- Gadget Porn: Sony Ericsson C510
- Grip2u Smartphone Cases Offer Superior Protection And Style
- How To (And Why You Should) Jailbreak Your iPhone or iPad
- How to Setup an iPhone Hotspot iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Specs vs. Samsung Note 4 Specs
- LG V20 Smartphone Review
- Moto Z2 Force Smartphone Review
- OnePlus 3 Review
- OnePlus 3T Smartphone Review
- Prototype Sony Ericsson 950 Phone Leaked
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Smartphone Review
- Samsung SCH-A990 3.2MP Phone Released in US
- Samsung SCH-B600 – 10 Megapixel Phone
- Samsung T809
- Samsung T809 Review
- Samsung’s E1107 Crest Solar Cell Phone Coming This June
- Sony Ericcson Officially Announces Xperia X2
- Sony Ericsson “Live with Walkman” Announced
- Sony Ericsson ‘Idou’ Is The World’s First 12-Megapixel Handset, Falls Under the ‘Entertainment Unlimited’ Brand
- Sony Ericsson Dishes 16 Megapixel Camera Phone To Japan
- Sony Ericsson Launches The Xperia X10, Their First Android Handset
- Sony Ericsson LiveView Puts Desktop Gadgets On Your Wrist