If you didn’t hear, Samsung has been selling four, yes four Galaxy S4s every second since the phone’s launch. It’s a dizzying amount that even had me tripped up and writing that they were selling one S4 every four seconds. That is until one commenter pointed out my mistake. To further fuel that success, Samsung today announced that they’ll begin selling a mini version of the S4 called, the Galaxy S4 Mini (you could have guessed that).
Instead of the S4’s 5-inch screen, the S4 Mini will sport a 4.3″ qHD capable Super AMOLED display. Under the hood is a 1.7Ghz dual-core processor as well as an 8-megapixel main camera complemented by a 1.9mp front facing camera.
Much like the S4 Mini’s big brother, Samsung has included an IR blaster for changing your TV’s channel. They’ve also packed in the same electronic programming guide, which effectively makes the phone a great fit for those that don’t have a cable box (like me). And after you’re done being a couch potato you can fire up the handset’s S Health app which tracks your steps, monitors your sleep and other activities.
For those abroad there will be dual-sim chips, though they’ll only support 3G connectivity, while the single SIM version will be 4G LTE ready. Other features include 1.5GB of RAM, 8GB of built-in storage, Android 4.2.2, GPS, WiFi, and a 1,900mAh battery.
There is no word on when the Samsung S4 Mini will ship in the US, but when and if it does, it will be available in black or white. That said, it looks to be heading to the UK sometime in July, according to Phones 4U.
SAMSUNG INTRODUCES THE GALAXY S4 MINI
A powerful, compact smartphone designed to fit busy lifestyles
London, UK – May 30, 2013 – Samsung Electronics today announced the Galaxy S4 Mini, a powerful, compact version of its bestselling smartphone, the Galaxy S4. The Galaxy S4 Mini delivers the superior performance, intuitive ease-of-use and sleek design of the Galaxy S4 in a portable chic and compact design.
Simon Stanford, Vice President of IT & Mobile Division, Samsung Electronics UK & Ireland said: “Demand for the Galaxy S4 has been phenomenal since it launched in April and we hope to build on this success with the Galaxy S4 Mini. This new handset is the ideal smartphone companion for anyone who wants a compact device packed with innovation.”
With a 4.3″ qHD Super AMOLED display, the Galaxy S4 Mini offers stunning images and content. At just 107g, the lightweight and compact design enables you to carry and use the device easily with one hand. The Galaxy S4 Mini also boasts powerful performance, equipped with a 1.7GHz dual core processor and supports many of the same intuitive features as the Galaxy S4, designed to enhance different aspects of life.
The Galaxy S4 Mini allows you to capture important moments in life with an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera as well as a 1.9-megapixel HD front-facing camera. Special features include Sound&Shot, which stores sounds and images together, Panorama Shot which allows you to take a full view of what you are seeing, and Story Album, which automatically arranges photos in a smart format – photos taken by Galaxy S4 Mini are automatically gathered and saved according to your timeline, geo-tagging information or specific event, to create a photo album. You can also receive travel assistance and information services through the S Travel preloaded app which can even recommend a new trip and provide destination guides.
Sharing and Connecting
The Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini means you can share content with others around you easily. Simultaneously listen to the same music and play the same games as your friends with Group Play, and chat with multiple friends with animations, video and voice recording added to messages using ChatON.
The Galaxy S4 Mini features S Translator, for instant translation using text or voice on applications including email, text message and ChatON. You can also control your environment through WatchON’s IR remote which transforms the device into a remote to control your home entertainment systems including TV, set-top box and DVD player. Content available includes live TV, cable TV and VOD based on the information provided EPG (Electronic Program Guide). In addition, Samsung Link* will help you share content across multiple Samsung digital devices. *Available in select countries. Previously called AllShare Play.
The Galaxy S4 Mini keeps you up to date with health and wellbeing information. Downloadable from Samsung Apps, S Health enables you to monitor your calorie balance. It can calculate each step taken daily, monitor sleeping patterns, calculate weight and share real time heart rate information**. Adapt Display provides an optimal viewing experience, customised for each type of application, and Adapt Sound offers an optimal level and type of sound, personalised for each user. ** Functionality such as monitoring weight, heart rate and sleeping patterns is possible through the use of fitness accessories which are sold separately.
The Galaxy S4 Mini will be available in two colours – White Frost and Black Mist. There will be a 4G LTE version, 3G version, and 3G Dual Sim version. Details on which variants will be ranged in the UK and the UK shipping date will be announced in due course.
Also why not check out:
- 4 Things You Need to Know About The Beautiful Samsung Galaxy Alpha
- 5 Things You Need to Know About The Samsung Galaxy Note 4
- 8 Reason The Galaxy S4 is Better Than the iPhone 5s (list)
- A Samsung Galaxy S4 is Sold Every 0.25 Seconds, 10 Million Sold in Under a Month
- Galaxy Note Edge Available Nov. 14
- How to Unlock Your Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge
- More Samsung Galaxy Gear Being Offloaded by Best Buy at $99
- Nokia Lumia 928 vs Samsung Galaxy S4 (comparison)
- Official Release Date of Samsung T809 Announced
- Samsung and B&O Partner to Create Cell Phone
- Samsung announced the Galaxy Note 4 Edge at IFA 2014
- Samsung Blackjack II (SGH-i617) Revealed…sort of
- Samsung Epic 4G Touch Review (Sprint)
- Samsung Galaxy Camera Launch Date and Price Announced, Coming Nov. 16th for $500
- Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 vs Gear 1 (comparison)
- Samsung Galaxy Gear Smartwatch Will Need Your Phone To Do, Uh, Anything
- Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 Is Big But Smaller Than It Looks
- Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 Availability and Price Announced On AT&T, Sprint Coming Soon
- Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 Review (AT&T)
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus Review
- Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Review
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Flexible Display Debunked and Other Rumors
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Review
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Smartphone Review
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Smartphone Review
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Review: Curve Your Enthusiam
- Samsung Galaxy S 4G Review
- Samsung Galaxy S II Review (AT&T)
- Samsung Galaxy S III Review
- Samsung Galaxy S III vs. Galaxy S II (Comparison)