Smartphones are getting bigger as screen sizes expand and as customers begin using their phones for more purposes. And the Galaxy Grand 2 seems to offer a lot of real estate: It’s got a 5.25 inch screen. But what else does it have going for it? Hopefully a low price, because there are better phones out there.
All Hat, No Cattle
To be honest, not very much. First of all, the big screen is only impressive until you get a load of the pixel count; 178 ppi, or 1280 by 720 pixels. Considering that Samsung itself sells a big phone, the Galaxy Note 3, with more than double that pixel density, that’s kind of disappointing. And, to be honest, there’s not a lot else to be excited about under that screen.
Dual SIMs, Little Else
First of all, Samsung is more or less making it clear this is a budget phone by including dual SIM slots, generally a marker of a phone intended for international markets more than the US. Similarly, the total lack of LTE marks this as a budget phone. And the specs back that up: 8GB storage, a 1.2GHz quad-core processor, and an 8-megapixel rear camera round out the phone.
Big Size, Tiny Price?
True, there are going to be better phones available in the US. In fact, there are better phones available from Samsung itself. But it’s always nice to have another budget option on the table, especially with more and more phones coming out and networks shifting to pay as you go. And the large screen does at least have the advantage of real estate. Still, we’re going to want to see a price on this before we know whether or not it’s worth anybody picking it up, and that won’t be coming until early next year. But hey, if you’re cheap and need a big phone, at least there’s one coming.
Also why not check out:
- 4 Things You Need to Know About The Beautiful Samsung Galaxy Alpha
- 5 Things You Need to Know About The Samsung Galaxy Note 4
- 8 Reason The Galaxy S4 is Better Than the iPhone 5s (list)
- A Samsung Galaxy S4 is Sold Every 0.25 Seconds, 10 Million Sold in Under a Month
- Galaxy Note Edge Available Nov. 14
- How to Unlock Your Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge
- More Samsung Galaxy Gear Being Offloaded by Best Buy at $99
- Nokia Lumia 928 vs Samsung Galaxy S4 (comparison)
- Official Release Date of Samsung T809 Announced
- Samsung and B&O Partner to Create Cell Phone
- Samsung announced the Galaxy Note 4 Edge at IFA 2014
- Samsung Blackjack II (SGH-i617) Revealed…sort of
- Samsung Epic 4G Touch Review (Sprint)
- Samsung Galaxy Camera Launch Date and Price Announced, Coming Nov. 16th for $500
- Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 vs Gear 1 (comparison)
- Samsung Galaxy Gear Smartwatch Will Need Your Phone To Do, Uh, Anything
- Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 Availability and Price Announced On AT&T, Sprint Coming Soon
- Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 Review (AT&T)
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus Review
- Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Review
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Flexible Display Debunked and Other Rumors
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Review
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Smartphone Review
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Smartphone Review
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Review: Curve Your Enthusiam
- Samsung Galaxy S 4G Review
- Samsung Galaxy S II Review (AT&T)
- Samsung Galaxy S III Review
- Samsung Galaxy S III vs. Galaxy S II (Comparison)