If you’re like me, you like being prepared. I go around with several tools on my keychain, mostly because while I don’t need wire strippers or a wrench every day, I need them just often enough to keep them on me. But some people want to be a little more extreme with their survival gear, and for them, there’s the Recon 6.
A Watch, A Survival Kit, And A Knife On A Strap
Really, the Recon 6 can be boiled down to three separate parts; the watch, the metal tool in the strap, and the survival kit under the watch. The watch itself is pretty straightforward; it’s analog, with phosphorescent hands, and a scratch-and-chip-resistant crystal. Honestly, we would have liked to see this watch be able to take more of a beating; waterproof and scratchproof strike us as the bare minimum.
Oh, and in the side is a small flashlight for detail work.
Survive In Style
More interesting is the survival kit and strap. Lift up the watch face and you’ve got a signal mirror, a tray that lifts out and includes a compass, small magnifier for starting fires in sunny conditions, firesteel, and emergency whistle, and underneath the tray 25 feet of fishing line and two small hooks, rated up to 25 pounds.
Finally, there’s the one-piece multitool in the strap. Flip out the buckle and you have a sheep’s hook for game, a bottle opener (of course), a can opener, and a fire striker. In all, there are 14 functions crammed into this watch.
We’ve got our criticisms; at $300 this watch should be more rugged, and it feels like there were a few design compromises. It’s also a bit chunky and has the look of a kid’s toy, a bit. On the other hand, it’s a good idea and having a survival kit strapped to your wrist isn’t the worst idea. You can find it on Kickstarter.
Also why not check out:
- 9 Things You Should Know About the Phosphor Touch Time Digital Watch (list)
- 9mm Swiss Watch Would Make James Bond Cry (But Not Your Wallet)
- Back to the Future Flux Capacitor Watch
- Bell & Ross BR 01 Red Radar Watch Helps You Hunt For The Red October
- Bell & Ross Adds Three New Watches to Aviation Line
- Best Online Watch Store: Expert Ratings and Buying Advice
- Casio G-Shock Gold Rose Series Watches are Ideal for the Sports Star
- Casio Metal Twisted G-Shock Watches Can Take A Beating
- Citizen’s Eco-Drive Watch Automagically Changes The Time
- Division Furtive Type 50 Is The LED Watch Of A Cyberpunk Future
- EOS Mixtape Watch
- Eye Of The Storm Watch Is Beautiful, Simple And Unique
- G-Shock’s Aviation Watches Can Withstand up to 15G Forces
- Gyroscopic Watch Winder Serves As A Reminder You’re Really Rich
- HOT Watch Is Essentially Your Smartphone In A Watch
- Hublot’s MP-02 Key Of Time Watch Is Ludicrous
- Kisai Night Vision Wood Watch Has Not Hands, Tells Time Via LEDs Beneath The Wood (video)
- Nixon Synapse Watch is Sensitive…to the Touch
- Nixon Trader Watch can Survive a Bomb Blast
- Nixon Unit SS Watch Dives 300-Feet, Costs Just $200
- Nuclear Powered Watch will Glow for 25 Years, or Until You Get Sick
- Oakley Elite Full Metal Jacket Watch
- OMEGA Spacemaster Z-33
- Phosphor Appear Watch Review (video)
- Phosphor World Time Curved E-ink Watch Review
- Porsche Design P’6520 Compass Watch
- Ritot Watch Projects Alerts On Your Hand (video)
- Romain Jerome Limited Edition Pac-Man Watches
- Suunto Makes A Digital Watch You’ll Actually Wear