In a rather weird twist of events, Sony today announced, alongside the PS Vita TV and new Vita launch, that the Playstation 4 will arrive in Japan on February 22, 2014 three months after the PS4 US launch of November 15th. Odd, because the PS3, and I believe all previous Playstation consoles, have debuted in Japan and then have been followed by the US and other markets. And rightfully so, as Sony is officially based in Japan. And I’m not buying the story that Sony is doing this to ensure that the PS4’s software is tailored to the region accordingly.
So why is Sony delaying the PS4 in Japan until 2014? Perhaps the truth lies in the focus. The US is a bigger market and provides a larger sales opportunity. But that hardly explains the other launch countries, which includes Canada on the 15th, and Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama and Peru (PERU!!! is getting the PS4 before Japan) on November 29th.
Nevertheless, when the PS4 arrives in Japan it will sell for $400, or $440 if you get the bundle that includes a camera, an exclusive to Japan. That all said, the Xbox One, which launches in the US on November 22nd, isn’t set to arrive in Japan and other Asian countries until late next year. So perhaps it stands to reason that Sony is simply satisfied with a PS4 Japan launch as long as it’s before Microsoft.
Also why not check out:
- 10 of the Best PS4 Games 2014
- 5 Things To Know About Project Morpheus, Sony’s PlayStation VR Headset (List)
- 7 Examples of How the Playstation 4 Dominates the XBox One
- Details Revealed on How Sony’s PlayStation 4 Eye Will Work
- Here is What the PS4’s Retail Packaging Will Look Like When It Arrives Next Month
- Introducing PlayStation Vue: TV for Your PS4 or PS3 Without a Cable Sub
- Is this the Actual PS4 Console We’ve All Been Looking For?
- Labor Day Deals on PlayStation 4 and Xbox Ones ($359)
- New PlayStation 4’s Being Sold for $50 Less on eBay
- Official: Here is the ACTUAL PS4 Console
- PlayStation 4 Shows Up In Stock at Best Buy, Ships by Xmas
- PlayStation 4 Spotted for $30 Off on eBay
- PlayStation 4: Where to Buy + List of Stores at Midnight
- PS Vita TV Lets You Play Your PS4 in Another Room, Plays Hundreds of Games, Costs $100 (video)
- PS4 drops to $350 & Gets Free Game Xmas Eve at Best Buy
- PS4 Launching November 13th According to a Leaked Poster
- PS4 Specs Unveiled, Includes Touchpad Controller, 8GB of RAM, Coming Holiday 2013
- PS4 Update 2.01 Coming Soon
- Sony PS4 Launch Date Announced, Coming November 15th in the US, November 29th in EU
- Sony’s PS4 Will Allow Users To Access Their Game Libraries Anywhere
- Take a First Look at Sony’s PS4 Interface in this Short Video (video)
- This PlayStation 4 Teardown Will Answer All Your Questions
- White PlayStation 4 Bundle Goes on Sale at Newegg for 10% off
- Why Buy Pre-Fab? Build a PS4!