The GameKlip is probably the fastest, easiest, and cheapest solution if you’re looking to add a physical game controller to your Android device. Of course you’ll need to already own a PS3 controller. If not, your investment will quickly rise to north of $60.
The PhoneJoy Play isn’t really that much cheaper – they’re asking at least $60 – but it sure looks much more practical. In addition to 20 hours of play time on a single charge, the PhoneJoy Play is designed to hold your phone, Android or iPhone, in the middle. So the experience should be more analogous to gaming on a PSP; equal weight distribution and the screen is in the center. And unlike other gamepads that we’ve seen, this one is phone agnostic as it expands and grips your device – PhoneJoy says the Play is big enough to fit a Samsung Galaxy Note.
Closed the PhoneJoy Play measures 102 mm (w) x 87mm (h) x 37 mm (d), so suffice to say it’s portable. Fully open it measures 255 mm (w) x 87 mm (h) x 37 mm (d), and weighs 250 grams. There are a total of 14 programmable buttons, 2 pressure sensitive analog sticks, 3 LED indicators, and support for iOS, Android, Mac, iCade and others. And even if your game of choice is only designed to work with on screen controls, they’ve built an app to emulate its buttons.
It’s difficult to say how well the PhoneJoy Play will grip your device, so I do have my concerns that it could slip free during fervid game play (though the below video seems to address this). Nevertheless, expect the PhoneJoy Play to ship April of next year.
Also why not check out:
- Beware: Sony PSP Viruses Do Exist
- Gadget Rumor: PSP 4000 Sans UMD
- Gadget Rumor: PSP2 For Real Estate?
- Gadget Rumor: Upgrade To PSP Go And Get Digital Copies Of Your Preexisting Game Library For Free?
- Gadget Rumor: Sony PSP Tablet/Phone
- Get (Almost) All of Your Downloaded PSP Games on Your Vita
- Insane PSP Commercial
- PSP Go Amazon Pre-Order Page Is Live (video)
- PSP Go Is A Go, Looks Like The Sony Mylo (video)
- PSP Price Cuts Arriving This Sunday, February 27th (video)
- PSPGo Goes On Sale In Japan, Does Everything But ‘Go’ Off Store Shelves
- PSPGo Now Available For Purchase
- Rumor: Next PSP To Have Touch Controls On Its Back?
- Skype Hits the PSP
- Sony Giving Away Gran Turismo If You Buy A PSPgo
- Sony PSP Giga Pack announced
- Sony PSP Go! Price And Release Date Announced
- Sony PSP to add Web Browser
- Sony’s NGP (PSP3) Handheld Heavy On The Tech
- Stupid PSP Go Makes All PSP 3000 And Below Accessories Totally Worthless