Google, when it comes to the Nexus 5, is a leaky, leaky ship, but this leak is even more official, and obvious, than most: They just put up the price on the Nexus 5 on their official store. Oh, you can’t buy it; the link was dead and was quickly removed. But now we know what it costs… so how does it compare to other smartphones?
The price is a surprisingly middle of the road $350 for a 16GB phone. Considering it was projected to cost between $300 and $400 in our roundup of what we know, that’s literally right in the middle. Presumably if you want more memory, you’ll have to pay in $100 steps, although it probably won’t go higher than 64GB, if that.
How Does It Compare?
Favorably. Here’s the thing about the Nexus 5, it’s cutting edge hardware Google is heavily subsidizing because it wants you to hit up the Google Play store and buy everything digital in your life from it. Nothing’s confirmed, but it’s likely to have the latest Qualcomm processor, 2GB RAM, a 2,300 mAh battery (3000 for the more expensive phone), and will ship stock with Android 4.4.
In terms of price, that puts it over the top with just about every single phone on the market. Here are a few phones you can get unlocked for around that price: The HTC Sensation, The Samsung Galaxy S II, and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus S. Yeah, for a modern, up-to-date phone, it doesn’t get better.
But How Will It Sell?
Despite that, the Nexus 4 was more of a cult hit than an actual competitor in the marketplace. People are still used to buying phones from carriers, not directly from the source
Also why not check out:
- 10 Things You Should Know About Google’s Nexus 5
- 8 Nexus 5 Features That Make the Phone a Steal at $349 (list)
- Google May Have Leaked The Nexus 5 Thanks To Their Android Sweet Tooth
- Google Pixel 2 XL Smartphone Review
- Google Pixel Android Smartphone Review
- Google’s Nexus 4 Now Shipping in 1-2 Weeks
- How to Use Your AT&T iPhone Data Plan with a Nexus 4 (how to)
- Huawei Nexus 6P Review
- Nexus 4 Price Slashed By $100, Bought One Recently? Get Refund from Google
- Nexus 5 Images Leaked…Again, Shows a Nexus 7 Like Build
- The Fire-Engine Red Nexus 5 Is Here
- The Nexus 5 Black 16GB Model is Already Out of Stock [Update: Ships in 3-4 Weeks]
- The Nexus 5 Has A Sensor Called “Hall Effect”, What is it?
- What is Google Nexus