Smart bulbs are hitting the market left and right, in a variety of colors and LED features. But Misfit’s Bolt smart bulb seems to combine all that has gone before, producing a bulb that does a little bit of everything and presents a powerful competitor for the smart household.
The design is pleasantly familiar, with an incandescent bulb shape and a traditional screw-in base that is designed to match many of the lamps and sockets you probably have around your house. But beneath that exterior is a collection of mini-bulbs that can create a vast array of different colors based on your preferences. And not just the primary blues and reds that you may already know – this smart bulb can give out an impressive number of shades, from muted pinks and greens to bright yellows, greens, violets, and all the colors in between.
Misfit intends these colors to be used in schedules and modes that you can create for yourself. Set one color for working, and one color for relaxing, and then switch between the two as you want. Create other modes for romance, parties, and more. You can even set a schedule for a sunrise simulation to help wake you up in the morning (although if you have windows, the real sunrise may also help with that) or at odd hours if you’ve got the late shift.
The wireless connectivity offers a few more benefits. First, there’s no hub, a boon in a market of smart devices that often need an extra device set up somewhere. Second, the smart bulb is compatible with other products like the Misfit Flash, a smartwatch-like device for fast control. On the phone, the bulb works with two primary devices, the Misfit App and the currently in-development Misfit Home App.
You can pre-order the bulb now, or wait for about a month until it starts shipping. Prices start at $49.99, but you may be better off buying the 3-bulb pack and the discount that it comes with.
Also why not check out:
- AE Xenide 25 Search Light Review
- Clothespin Light Bulb (video)
- Control Lighting Wirelessly With Your Phone Using The Kick Light
- Daylight Savers Help Thrown Off Schedules
- Emberlight Transforms Ordinary Bulbs Into Smart Bulbs
- Emerson Digital SmartSet Lamp Control Security Timer – Big Name, Big Results
- Energizer Launches Rechargeable Home LED Lights
- GE Lighting Betters the Compact Fluorescent Bulb
- HydraLux: The First Liquid Cooled LED Bulb
- iPhone Lightbulb Turns On Wirelessly
- Joby GorillaTorch Blade Review
- Li-Fi Uses Your Lightbulb To Stream The Internet
- LIFX Lightbulb: an iPhone Controllable LED Colored Light Bulb with Automation (video)
- LightFreq LED Bulb Will Light Up Your Party And Provide The Tunes
- LightSleeper Uses Lights To Help You Sleep
- Lucis NuBryte: A Family Smart Home Hub for Lights
- Lumen TL800 and LuMini TL100 App-Enabled LED Color Mood Light Bulbs Review
- MiPow Playbulb Review: Screw In for Sound
- Motion Detecting Light Bulb
- NanoLeaf Bulb Is Ultra Bright and Energy Efficient, Comes In Unique Design Package
- Never Again Turn On the Light By Mistake with This Ceiling Fan Attachment
- Philips 3D-Printed Luminaries Add Art To Your Lightbulbs
- Philips Announces a New HUE WiFi Light Bulb For Recessed Lighting
- Philips HUE iPhone Controllable Light Bulb Available Now for $200
- Robotic Light Switch Timer
- SmartCharge Won’t Leave You In The Dark
- The Huglight, or, Sappy Name, Sweet Product
- The IKEA Dioder Is An LED Drawer Light That Flips On When You Need It
- The Philips Wake-Up Light Makes Mornings Easier