The Lockitron is probably the easiest DIY solution for those looking to automate, for lack of better words, their front door’s deadbolt. It simply fits over the existing lock (on the inside) and using a motor and Bluetooth sensor, it unlocks your front door when instructed by the authorizing and accompanying iPhone app.
Entering the fray is the Kwikset Kevo. Unlike the Lockitron this is a complete deadbolt system that replaces your front door’s existing one. So installation is a bit more extensive, but should by most accounts be tolerable for those that can handle a screwdriver.
Once installed and powered on, and with the app running on your iPhone (4s and 5 only) you only need touch the deadbolt with your finger to unlock or lock the door. Alternatively, you can carry around a Fob, which replaces the iPhone app and still allows the same finger un/lock.
The Kevo runs on 4 AA batteries that are said to be good for up to 1-year, where upon the built-in LED light will indicate when they need to be changed. In the event that the batteries do die, you can continue to use a regular key to lock or unlock the door.
The app requires that both Bluetooth and Location Services be activated in order for it to work. This could prove challenging on your iPhone’s battery, so it’s something I’ll surely be testing if I can get my hands on one. That all said, you can also send an “eKey” to family, friends, or anyone visiting, allowing them to enter your home without you being present. Of course they’ll need a compatible phone (iPhone 5 or 4s) and have the app running on their handset. It doesn’t appear that you can limit access by time of day to certain users, but perhaps this is an option that will come in due time.
Unfortunately, there is no word on when the Kevo from Kwikset will be available for purchase.
Also why not check out:
- 5 Smart Locks That Are Sure to “Secure” Holiday Shopping (list)
- 8 Kwikset Kevo Bluetooth Smart Lock First Impressions (list)
- Add-A-Lock: Extra Security In Your Pocket
- AI.one Fingerprint Smart Lock
- Apple Watch Now Works with August Smart Lock
- Art Lebedev Chain Lock Mocks Any Assailant Or Fire
- August Door Lock Review
- August: a Smartphone Deadbolt that Installs in Minutes, Tracks Who Enters, and Looks Damn Good While Doing It (video)
- Auto Locking Computer Proximity Sensor
- Covert Magnetic Lock
- Deafen Common Thieves With The Siren Padlock Alarm
- DoorBot: The iPhone Smart Doorbell
- Elgato Smart Key Review
- Gate Camera Smart Lock Is Packed With Security Features
- Gate Smart Lock Review
- Haven Brings More Security To Your Door Locks
- Here’s How To Crack A Combination Lock Quickly
- Keep Your Snail Mail Safe With the Mr. Postman WiFi Connected Mailbox, Yes The One at the End of Your Driveway
- Key.Me Stores Your House Keys On Your iPhone
- KeyWe Is A Smart Lock For Your Home
- Kwikset Kevo Plus Review: Unlock Your Door From Anywhere
- Kwikset Kevo Smartlock Review
- LockedUSB Lets You Charge With Confidence
- Lockitron Bolt is the Suave Smart Lock Homeowners Need
- Lockitron iPhone Keyless Entry Works with Your Home’s Preexisting Deadbolt (video)
- Master Lock Bluetooth Smart Padlock For Sale
- Masterlock dialSpeed 1500EDBX Padlock Review
- Masterlock dialSpeed: a Digital Padlock with LED Lighting (video)
- Never Lose Your Keys Again With The Swisskey