You’ve probably experienced this at some point while gaming: The thought that, somehow, the game could be improved if you strapped a bunch of vibrating devices to your chest. All right, perhaps that’s just us, but the KOR-FX Haptic Vest wants to make your gaming even more immersive.
Feedback and Chest
Essentially, the KOR-FX, built by Immerz, is a device that you strap across your upper chest. It syncs with your games via a wireless connection, and then you just play as you normally would. Essentially, as sound happens in the game, you’ll feel it in, quite literally, your chest. Bullets from behind will vibrate, explosions will rattle you, and so on.
All Shaken Up
So why would you sign up to be shaken, rattled, and rolled? According to the team behind this, it increases immersion as you play. Once you have the vest set up, and you can tweak everything from the strength of the vibrations to how much they overlap to the “depth of field” of the vibrations. So essentially, if you leap through a wall and spray the areas with bullets while taking one or two hits in order to get the area cleared out and wait for your health to recharge, it’ll be that much more dramatic.
They also claim to have worked out a system that tricks the brain’s vibratory senses to make you feel more immersed in the game. Whether that’s actually true or just marketing spin, well, we’re not sure, but it sure sounds cool! That said, it’s not clear when you’ll get your hands on this. It’s been in development for four years, and both release date and price aren’t yet available. Expect, however, to hear more in June when the Immerz team hits E3 to show off their new device.
Also why not check out:
- Custom Whac-A-Mole Game Can be Outfitted with Your X-Girlfriend’s Head, Includes Remote Controlled Doors
- FPS Force Feedback Gaming Vest
- Full-Size Racing Car Simulator Provides Ultimate Gaming Experience
- Home Made Gears Of War Lancer Gun Just In Time For Halloween
- iCade Jr.
- In Case of 8-Bit Emergency
- Make Your Own Real Life Portal
- Mike Tyson’s Punch-out!! Encyclopedia is a Must Have Coffee Table Book (pics)
- Mini Controllers Are Coming Back Like The 80’s, But In A Good Way
- Mini Space Invaders Money Bank: Nostalgia That Makes You Save
- Nanocade Mame Cabinet
- Obscura Cuelight: $200k With Pool Table Sold Separately (video)
- Puma Ping Pong Table
- Retro Gadget: The Tomy Tuning Driving Game
- Sun Visor Gaming System For The Car Keeps The Whole Family Distracted
- The Gamers’ Slingbox from Spawn Labs: Spawn HD-720
- The Internet Arcade: Play 900+ Classic Arcade Games
- ThinkGeek JOYSTICK-IT Sticks To Any Tablet, Adds Tactile Gaming (video)
- This Full Immersion Racing Sim Can be Yours For $65,000 (video)
- This Is The Future Of Foozball
- This Restoration Foosball Table is $4,000, Will Probably Survive a Nuclear Attack