It may sound strange, but it’s been a long time since someone decided to reinvent the umbrella. We’ve had different materials, different fashions, and different sizes hit the market, but nothing that literally turns the umbrella upside like the Kazbrella, a creation of Jenan Kazim.
Make no mistake, when fully opened the Kazbrella still looks like a normal umbrella, with the rain protection that you could want. It’s when opening and closing that the Kazbrella takes a step toward unique design: It folds upward and outward, base first, and draws down in itself when being closed.
If you picture a flower unfolding its petals or a funnel inverting (depending on your artistic preference), you can get a much better idea of how the Kazbrella works. The goal to this upside-down thinking is all about avoiding excess water drippage. When the spokes of the umbrella point away from the handle, all the water still on the umbrella after use is channeled away from arms and sleeves, and toward the end of the umbrella, which can be pointed at sidewalk.
Kazbrella mentions two specific situations where this is handy. First, when getting into a car, you can close your door until only the umbrella is sticking out and then close the umbrella so the water streams away and no drops get in your car. Second, you can do the same when entering a building and avoid dripping water all over the floor.
The canopy itself is made from woven pongee polyester cloth, and the mechanical parts are made from aluminum. The umbrella comes in a few different, dark-shaded colors, but overall it aims for simplicity rather than any striking fashion statement.
Thanks to a few enthusiastic backers, the project’s Kickstarter has been wildly funded. But with a payment of around $55, you too can order a Kazbrella of your own to receive later in 2015, just in time for the winter weather.
Also why not check out:
- Backpack Umbrella
- Coffee Loving Umbrella
- Cut The Rain Out Of Your Day With The Samurai Sword Handle Umbrella
- Forecasting Umbrella with LED now Available for Purchase
- Lighted Safety Umbrella Keeps You Dry & Well-Lit
- Listening In The Rain: Personal Speaker Umbrella
- Polite Umbrella Morphs Upon Yank (video)
- The Dualbrella: Two Umbrellas In One
- The Shouldbrella Is The Third Hand You Never Had
- Umbrella Drying Takes A New Form With The Rain Wipe (video)
- Umbrella Sports Built-in Screen, GPS and More
- Umbrellas That Transform When They Get Wet
- Unbreakble Umbrella Will Beat Your Ass (video)