When the Joby GorillaPod hit the scene some time ago, it amazed consumers worldwide with its tenacious approach to all things tripod related. Capable of countless angles and poses, the Joby GorillaPod is a must buy for anyone that owns a digital camera or camcorder.
Lightweight and easy to use, the Joby GorillaPod can quickly mold itself to your surroundings allowing for some really creative photo and video ideas. With your camera connected, you can detach it at a moments notice thanks to the GorillaPods’ quick release locking clip. To get an idea of the GorillaPod’s reach, it will fit around your standard pole size but isn’t long enough to stretch around a tree. It works best when attached to something that you can weave its legs around like a chain link fence or a lamp.
The only design features I wish I could change would have been to make it a bit heavier. I had some trouble keeping it secure on my bike and it would have been easier with some more weight added. Plus, the weight capacity was a bit disappointing since it also didn’t do that well holding up a heavier SLR (see pic below).
What could also help would be some velcro tethering strips so you could tie it in to whatever your trying to connect it with. All I wanted to do was wrap it around my dog, but it just wouldn’t stay put.
The Joby GorillaPod is super durable, though. It folds up really tight and looks like it could withstand quite the beating. The rubber feet also give the GorillaPod great traction on a variety of surfaces from glass to finished wood and plastic.
Anybody that’s in the market for their first digital camera needs to buy this inexpensively awesome tripod as you will not be disappointed. Also worth mentioning is that Joby has a bunch of other GorillaPods out there that are worth checking out. This is the standard original one.
- Needs tethers for for aggressive fastening
- could be a bit heavier
Buy it now for $12.50!
Are there any more recent GeorillaPod models?
Yes, there are some excellent upgraded models to this quirky product. The GorillaPod 5K, for instance, is an improved aluminum flexible tripod for DSLR and Mirrorless Cameras, that includes an optional ball head for SLR cameras with zoom lenses weighing up to 3kg (6.6 lb). On top of this there's the GorrillaPod 1K, a compact tripod with a ball head included for advanced compact and mirrorless cameras. Both models are made from ABS Plastic, stainless steel, TPE and Aluminium.
Also why not check out:
- Best Digital Camera Under $200
- Best Instant Film Camera in 2020 (August Reviews)
- Best Photo Box
- Best Travel Camera in 2020 (August Reviews)
- Canon PowerShot G3 X Review
- Canon PowerShot G7 X Review
- Canon PowerShot SX710 HS Review
- Fujifilm X-T10 Review
- Fujifilm XQ2 Review
- Gary Fong Flip Cage Review
- GPS Tagging Device for Any Camera with a Hot Shoe – Hot Damn
- GRIP and SHOOT Review
- How Does a Digital Camera Work?
- How to Choose the Best Digital Camera (how to)
- Lomography Spinner 360 Review
- Manfrotto 055CX3 Carbon Fiber Tripod Review
- Nikon 1 J5 Review
- Nikon Coolpix L840 Review
- Olympus SP-100 Review
- Panasonic Lumix ZS60 Review – Travel Camera
- Self Leveling Tripod Mount
- Sony Cybershot RX100 IV Review
- Tamron 18-270mm PZD B008 Lens Review
- What Is a Digital Camera?