Careful. Charging your iPhone 5 could kill you. Or at least that is what happened to a 23 year old Chinese woman of the country’s western Xinjiang region.
Ma Ailun, a a flight attendant with China Southern Airlines, was reportedly electrocuted after answering a call on her iPhone 5 while it was plugged in and charging. The news was delivered by the official Xinhua news agency, who cited a police report.
Apple, who declined to comment on the details – in other words they won’t say how the woman actually died, or what was wrong with the phone (they likely don’t know) – did respond with an email expressing their condolences and promised to cooperate with authorities in the matter.[quote]We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter[/quote]
Ma’s sisters tweeted about on the incident on the microblogging website Sina, where upon the post went viral. That said, there doesn’t seem to be any details, at least so far, that can definitively link the women’s death to the iPhone 5.